What's new

Question about 4k UHD presentation (1 Viewer)

Hallospaceboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hello, I have been a long time home video enthusiast since the 1980's. I have gone from VHS to Laser to DVD to Blu and now 4k.

I currently have a 4k Samsung TV and 4k blu ray player:

SAMSUNG UN75RU7100FXZA Flat 75-Inch 4K UHD 7 Series Ultra HD Smart TV with HDR and Alexa Compatibility (2019 Model)

Sony X700 - 2K/4K UHD - 2D/3D - Wi-Fi - SA-CD - Multi System Region Free Blu Ray Disc DVD Player - PAL/NTSC - USB - 100-240V 50/60Hz Cames with 6 Feet Multi-System

Here is my question, when I watch my 4k movies, I use the "movie" setting for all the discs and streaming. When I switch to UHD setting , to me it looks fake, like motion smoothed to death and I do not like the way it presents all sorts of films. I have turned all the settings for motion smoothing off as well. Even with that off, It looks like video, cheap video in my eyes, and it leaves me wondering what am I missing about 4k and is everyone watching all their movies like this? I wonder if I have my set calibrated properly, or am I just being too sensitive to how it looks in that UHD setting?

Blu ray as a format has been the best to me, offering exactly the kind of film like presentation I crave at home. 4k is wonderful and can look great but then I am left wondering am I not using my system to its fullest capacity because I do not like that weird video look to the UHD. I would like to know what you all think here in the HTF. Am i crazy, or does anyone else have an issue like this?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No idea what you mean by switching to "UHD setting". Can you provide more (accurate) details about that setting?

Still, if using "Movie" setting instead solves the problem for you, why not just keep using that? I would think something called "Movie" setting would usually be the right choice on most these TVs.

_Man_

Hallospaceboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hi _Man_,
There are 4 preset settings on the TV: UHD, Standard, movie and one other I can't recall at the moment. UHD I assumed is the 4k setting, it is the brightest on the display. Movie setting is a less bright presentation compared to the UHD setting, thus I assumed it is not utilizing the 4k standard, unless I am wrong, which could be since I am no technophile as may be obvious from my questions. I do leave it on the movie setting, but I just wondered if that was utilizing the 4k to its fullest extent. 4k discs and bluray discs look identical to me on this setting so I wondered if I am missing something about how I use it.

I also wonder if people just leave that UHD setting on al the time and everything gets shown in that weird video like setting which to me feels very wrong for pretty much all movies, especially older films.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I find that TV "modes" usually add something you don't want. Keep in mind that all HDR modes (HDR 10, DV, etc, which are different from TV playback modes) have to be individually calibrated for levels. There really shouldn't be any drastic difference in the picture between 4K and HD, other than the additional resolution. If there is, something on the TV is set wrong.

YANG

Screenwriter
when my HiSense 75 incher was delivered 2wks ago, i went through the video settings and found that the default factory setting got the FILMAKER mode engaged together with MEMC turned on.
I have to turn off manually, save the setting by restart the TV, then proceed with other settings to get optimal pictures to my eyes and preference, the TV picture presentation is stable till today.
Media Disc Players are not connected yet, so... there will be another round of settings to do to deal with PAL, NTSC DVDs which were set to be upscaled to 720P, as well as BDs to be played on another gear with 1080P output.

So... in short, should we find something odd with initial operation when we get our new gears, be it the players or TV, it's suggestible to go through the detail settings if we see something odd.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For some people 24fps on a VRR TV with a 120hz max refresh rate would be perceived as a "weird video look". Especially if their brain has been trained to accept 3:2 pulldown'd 30fps as the look of 35mm (of course it isn't). I myself can attest to that first hand. Eventually you will get used to it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It is my understanding that the UHD mode on Samsung TVs does at least things most "purists" detest:

1. Frame Interpolation (aka motion smoothing aka soap opera effect) - making film look like video
2. Adds "fake" HDR to non-HDR sources

I would suggest simply not using that setting and leave it on Movie or use a Custom Setting (where you adjust all the settings to your liking). Standard *may* add screen dimming to save energy by trying to match the screen brightness to the brightness in the room.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It is my understanding that the UHD mode on Samsung TVs does at least things most "purists" detest:

1. Frame Interpolation (aka motion smoothing aka soap opera effect) - making film look like video
2. Adds "fake" HDR to non-HDR sources

I would suggest simply not using that setting and leave it on Movie or use a Custom Setting (where you adjust all the settings to your liking). Standard *may* add screen dimming to save energy by trying to match the screen brightness to the brightness in the room.
Except he did say he had turned off motion interpolation, so that leads me to think he just doesn't understand that 24FPS would look like a weird video effect depending on if your mind has been trained to think 3:2 pulldown'd 30fps is the look of film or not.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The best option is to use the mode that has the most of the "features" turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks