What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
First and most important, Paramount's new 4k UHD presentation is available in a very attractive steel book case, with bullet holes (not real) amid a faux whisky label.

It all works, and will be more important to some readers than what's encoded on the disc.

In the case of the steel book, there is no slipcase.

The Untouchables, directed by Brian DePalma, is of 1987 vintage, which means that in terms of films stocks, it can be considered reasonably modern.

Taking into account what I've been seeing recently from Paramount, although I have my doubts as to how old the Valance master may be, I began viewing this film with considerable trepidation.

First thing that I noticed was a Newton ring in the upper left quadrant of the screen, which begin during the logo, and carries over into the main title sequence.

Second was background grain freezing as the costume credit hits the screen.

Checking back to earlier versions, I'm seeing these built into the original material, therefore no problems.

I also found zero problems spot-checking the entire film.

Grain structure appeared normal for the period - but who knows...

Color, density, stability, black and white levels all seem appropriate, and HDR worked nicely with my projector.

"Hallelujah," he thought....

I've always been a fan of this film, and while some have noted that they don't feel that it's stood the test of time, I would argue that it has - and nicely.

The lead actors all work together beautifully.

The cinematography courtesy of Stephen Burum looks terrific.

I'm thrilled to be able to go back to recommending Paramount product.

A wonderful 4k UHD release of a wonderful film, with a tip of the directorial hat to Sergei Eisenstein.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Without question

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Beautiful, appropriate organic grain - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
A wonderful 4k UHD release of a wonderful film, with a tip of the directorial hat to Sergei Eisenstein.

Highly Recommended

RAH
I am happy to hear that this is a nice presentation of the film. De Palma’s technique of borrowing flourishes from other directors is certainly riveting in the sequence on the steps of the train station.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’ve heard this described as a perfect film from a movie buff friend of mine. I can’t fault him for that. Looking forward to this 4K.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Good to hear! If Paramount were transparent about the people and companies working on their 4K scans and UHD titles, it might make it easier to figure out why some work and some don't. StudioCanal is a similar crapshoot, but in their case, the company responsible for a particular title is always announced at the end of the disc.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
First and most important, Paramount's new 4k UHD presentation is available in a very attractive steel book case, with bullet holes (not real) amid a faux whisky label.

It all works, and will be more important to some readers than what's encoded on the disc.

In the case of the steel book, there is no slipcase.

The Untouchables, directed by Brian DePalma, is of 1987 vintage, which means that in terms of films stocks, it can be considered reasonably modern.

Taking into account what I've been seeing recently from Paramount, although I have my doubts as to how old the Valance master may be, I began viewing this film with considerable trepidation.

First thing that I noticed was a Newton ring in the upper left quadrant of the screen, which begin during the logo, and carries over into the main title sequence.

Second was background grain freezing as the costume credit hits the screen.

Checking back to earlier versions, I'm seeing these built into the original material, therefore no problems.

I also found zero problems spot-checking the entire film.

Grain structure appeared normal for the period - but who knows...

Color, density, stability, black and white levels all seem appropriate, and HDR worked nicely with my projector.

"Hallelujah," he thought....

I've always been a fan of this film, and while some have noted that they don't feel that it's stood the test of time, I would argue that it has - and nicely.

The lead actors all work together beautifully.

The cinematography courtesy of Stephen Burum looks terrific.

I'm thrilled to be able to go back to recommending Paramount product.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Without question

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Beautiful, appropriate organic grain - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH
Looked for the ‘Relieved’ / ‘Phew’ emoji, but there wasn’t one, so settled for a plain vanilla ‘Like’.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Not a fan of this movie. I eagerly await RAH's review of William Friedkin's The Hunted coming from Paramount in July.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
A Newton ring was visible during the Paramount logo and opening title sequence? I'm used to Newton rings being a hazard when scanning slick printed materials in a flatbed scanner. I figured there were advanced methods to prevent that kind of thing affecting film scans. I have an old DVD of The Untouchables, but never bothered getting a Blu-ray version of it. Back in 1987 I watched the movie for the first time at the Loews New York Twin (70mm Dolby mag print). Within a day or two I was picking up a copy of the movie's soundtrack. I loved Ennio Morricone's score. It really sounded great in the cinema.

Real Name
Miguel Ronda Ruiz
I am very pleased with Mr Harris' assessment. It's a relief because lately he didn't win for scares. This has been welcome news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks