What's new

Thinking of Getting Surround Sound System, Need Advice (1 Viewer)

Amy_B

Auditioning
I've got a 45 inch Mitsubishi projection screen tv that we got a few years ago (I don't think it's HDtv-ready. I've got an old analog Kenwood receiver with a cheap toshiba dvd player. (I've also got the old Apex with the secret menu but it intermittantly doesn't work...)
The sound is hooked into my big definitive tower speakers that I picked up 10 years ago, but they still sound decent.
There's no surround set up, and I'd like to upgrade so that I can do that. I'm curious if the $248 Philips Home Cinema System (MX3660D/37) they've got for sale at Walmart would be worth it. Or, since I don't need a built in dvd player, am I better off just getting a new receiver and some speakers?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'd rather not break the bank, and would like to try and keep it around the $300 dollar range. Where can I get the best bang for my buck?

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Best bang for your buck, is subjective. The products such as the Philips all in one Cinema System, and others like it, will just sound bad, or at least not so good.

Do a search on the AVR125, ecost has them for like $180 with free shipping. Do a search on the AR-112PS, this sub can be found at a few places in the $120 range.

The cheapest decent sounding speakers I like to suggest for those on the ultra budget are Yamaha NS-6390 speakers. J&R has them for $80 a pair and free shipping. I would try to get three pair, and maybe double two up for your center channel.

Ok, it breaks your bank somewhat, but this would actually sound very good. Yet it is the cheapest system I can suggest in good conscience.

Amy_B

Auditioning
Many thanks, I'm sure once I start truly investigating and actually listening to some systems, my budget will of course fluctuate.

I just wasn't sure where to start. I'll check out some of what you suggested.

gregD

Second Unit
Open the budget a little and move away from HTIB.

Look here for entry-level receiver + speaker packages at several price points... very decent speakers by Cambridge SoundWorks: http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...=ht_systemsrec

Refurbished Marantz receivers and very nice B-stock speaker packages (AR, Canton, Mordaunt-Short) here: http://www.accessories4less.com/

As long as your DVD player works, there's no reason to replace it; your new digital receiver will do the processing.

And there's no reason to ditch your front speakers, for now, anyway.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
A reufrbished Onkyo HTIB might be a good way to go. You could keep your main speakers but that may cause timber matching problems with other speakers in the system. Ecost has the S760 HTIB for $340 refurbished. A refurbished Onkyo HTR500 and Fluance AV-HTB speaker package would be a very good start and you could add a sub on down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks