What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Need some basic HT help (1 Viewer)

twobelowpar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I just purchased a 60" Samsung F5300 to replace my 42" Panny. I still have a Panasonic Bluray / surround sound system. In my old setup i had my satellite remote programmed to control the TV as well. I could turn both TV and audio on with one press of the power button, and control volume with it along with the satellite guide, DVR, etc. I have discovered that without the Panasonic Viera Link feature, this may not be possible. I synced the satellite remote to the new TV, but the volume only controls what it thinks is the TV volume. Since it is going through the BR player (which is also the audio receiver) it doesn't control the master volume like it did before. It also will only turn the TV on and not the audio receiver along with it. Am I missing something easy here or is that the drawback of having different TV/audio brands? The satellite remote does have an AUX button but I couldn't get it synced to the BR/audio receiver. Should I get a more advanced universal remote?Thanks for any advice.

twobelowpar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
So you're saying I will probably have no choice but to use the BR remote to control volume since it isn't linked to the TV as it was before. Sounds like a first world problem, but I got used to only needing the satellite remote for everything. Would a universal remote help? I can get a Logitech Harmony at a good price.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Or this:
IMAG0502.JPG

This is more of a third world solution though. It took $6 of Velcro (didn't use the whole pack) and some scrap wood and an old cabinet handle. I made this while I was deciding on a universal remote, and haven't decided yet. My wife though it was too high tech, and made a cardboard cylinder (more triangle than round), and held the remotes on with a bunch of rubber bands. It kept tipping over, and making everything do different things when the buttons were hit. If all you have is rubber bands and you don't have any Velcro, get the Harmony.

Unless you like unpredictable variety in what you view.

twobelowpar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Ha! Very nice. I just don't know if it's worth the money of a universal just to be able to control the volume on our main remote. Everything else is fine, except that. Also, I was reading about something called ARC that might solve my problem but I don't even know if this TV supports it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nippy
Recent bookmarks