What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Totally forgot about this thread, so this is a bit behind....

My grandfather drank buttermilk. Not a chance I could do it. Excellent way to become bulimic if you're so inclined. Pukeville USA.
My dad drinks buttermilk. I've seen him put white beans on his chocolate cake (mom's home made one at that) and wash it down with buttermilk.

He once paid my sister and I each 50 cents to drink a glass of buttermilk (1968 when 50 cents went a lot further). We talked him down from a 8 oz. to a 2 oz. glass. That's still the hardest 50 cents I've ever earned. She didn't finish hers and only got 25 cents.

I'm baffled that it tastes so nasty but can be used to make some of the best cornbread and cakes.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
One nice thing about getting our phone service through XFinity is that when we're watching TV, the caller ID info pops up in the corner of the TV screen. We don't even have to get up to check the actual phone unless we already know it's worth answering.

Haven't tied my TV to the phone, but sounds like a good idea.

I literally haven't answered most phone calls in over ten years, maybe more. With caller ID I'll pick it up if it's somebody I want to talk to, otherwise straight to voicemail, or nowhere as they're often hang-ups once the robo-caller realizes it's reached a machine.

Just getting older and grouchier :P The "do not call registry" was pretty good for about a year, but then right back to normal with loads of sales calls, political things, robo-calls, etc. I want to change my number, but a lot of people have it so would be kind of a pain.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I think it'll work for cell phones, but you have to pay a monthly fee. VOIP is free.

Did VOIP for about a year or so. It really sucked, terrible service. I'm going to go back to a cheap Trac Phone, just waiting for Walmart to get the flip-phone I want back in stock.

$30 for the phone, they'll port my current number over, then maybe $25 a month after that. Nothing fancy, don't need internet access or apps, just basic talk time.

Mentioned my Verizon story from a year or two ago. Bought a very high end phone, barely even used it. Five weeks of service and they billed me $1100. Still haven't paid them, not good for my credit report, but total rip-off. They finally lowered it to $600, but until they come down to maybe $100, not seeing a penny from me.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Why do people (mostly women) drive so fast?

Speed limit was 35 mph, but they've got to go 50.

Had one today, zoomed right up and tailgated me. She switched lanes, trying to pass me. I hit the gas pedal and drove right next to another driver, both of doing the speed limit. Pissed her off like you can't imagine. Sorry ladies, but you're often the worst offenders.

And guess what, we all hit the red light at the same time. I don't flip people off, but wow, she deserved it, yet I behaved. Funny to watch her temper tantrum.

Maybe a tad bit "passive aggressive", but hopefully a learning moment for her.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Sadly they won't learn. They will always think they are in the right, and YOU were the one who was driving wrong. I see it all the time.

There's a young woman I see almost daily in her little Chevy and she's constantly racing people and darting in and out of traffic to try to be "first". She even passes folks via the middle turn lanes. I've goosed the gas on a couple of occasions to try to block her, but it doesn't phase her, she just keeps plowing through. Hoping she wrecks one day soon. Maybe that will teach her a nice lesson.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I don't get why some folks are stubborn shoppers.

Sample, someone one can literally go down the road from their house (in most cases) and pick up a movie they really want and be home to watch it that day, but they have some strange grudge or whatever it is against shopping locally or via certain stores and instead they will pay pretty much the same price as local (most store price match now) and will have to wait a week, maybe more to get the movie.

Why?? I just don't understand that kind of logic. Life is too short as they say. If I want something, and it's local, I will go pick it up and enjoy it..and get it for same price as online stores!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Or we have a general disdain for certain big box retailers. I will drive several miles out of my way to shop at Kroger and Target instead of Walmart.

I used to be one to browse the stores for the latest new release movies but now I would rather order the movie from Amazon, have it on release day or sometimes earlier and not waste my time and gas going to the store to buy it. A few seconds online and it's waiting on my porch when I get home from work.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Who am I to think I am so great, but doesn't it seem often that a bus load of people who work full time at the local carnival or side show and appeared on "Honey Boo Boo" just went into Walmart to shop before you did?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Who am I to think I am so great, but doesn't it seem often that a bus load of people who work full time at the local carnival or side show and appeared on "Honey Boo Boo" just went into Walmart to shop before you did?
Agreed. Of course, we don't even have to venture out that far, as I swear some of them live right in our complex! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If you have a habit of speeding up just to prevent people from passing you, then you are various foul terms that I won't repeat on this public forum. And YOU are the road hazard.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sadly they won't learn. They will always think they are in the right, and YOU were the one who was driving wrong. I see it all the time.

There's a young woman I see almost daily in her little Chevy and she's constantly racing people and darting in and out of traffic to try to be "first". She even passes folks via the middle turn lanes. I've goosed the gas on a couple of occasions to try to block her, but it doesn't phase her, she just keeps plowing through. Hoping she wrecks one day soon. Maybe that will teach her a nice lesson.

Had a woman that lived up the block, she would drive through the alley behind my house going 30+ MPH, just to shave off a little time instead of using the street. Almost hit me backing out of my garage and another time putting out the trash bin. Just about shoved the bin in front of her, but I behaved. Thankfully she moved after a year or so.

I always have fun smiling and waving at them, really ticks them off. "Wow, you reached the red light first, and yet we're both stopped at the intersection" :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't get why some folks are stubborn shoppers.

Sample, someone one can literally go down the road from their house (in most cases) and pick up a movie they really want and be home to watch it that day, but they have some strange grudge or whatever it is against shopping locally or via certain stores and instead they will pay pretty much the same price as local (most store price match now) and will have to wait a week, maybe more to get the movie.

Why?? I just don't understand that kind of logic. Life is too short as they say. If I want something, and it's local, I will go pick it up and enjoy it..and get it for same price as online stores!
I don't have a grudge against B&M, but I find shopping online is often better. The inventory is larger online. Whether we're talking blu rays or light switches. How many times have I read people complaining on this forum that they couldn't find the blu ray they wanted because BB did not stock it.

It's a rare blu ray that I absolutely have to have right away. Then I pre-order it and Amazon delivers it to my door on release date.

I like the convenience.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is not so much what baffles me, but what pisses me off. Right now I'm pissed off at me and my memory, or what remains of it. I had to change a light switch behind a plate containing three switches. I removed the six screws and "put them in my pocket." The job is done and I want to screw the plate back on, but they have disappeared from my pocket. There are no holes in the pocket, the screws are nowhere to be found. The local hardware store is closed Sundays.

Heavy sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks