What's new

They Shall Not Grow Old is the 3D event of the year (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
So far there's no indication that there's going to be a 3D release anywhere. The 2D disc has been reported Region Free like most BBC disc and I think it's a progressive encode so no frequency issues. I guess if it did well enough in first release that they going to extend and expand it there's at least some chance they could revisit the release eventually

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I totally agree as Warner Home Video still has respect for us 3D enthusiasts. There is still a chance the Warner Archive could give us a 3D enabled version of this great film after it's more widespread release. Here's hoping all are complaining on this site gets through to someone who cares at the Warner Achieve!
It's not Warner's call; it's BBC's, and I have yet to see any of the BBC titles released by Warner done by Warner Archive.

Ken LB

Supporter
Real Name
Ken
New, third showing date on Fathom Events Jan 21 2019

"On the heels of its already record-breaking release, and in response to popular demand, a third Fathom Events date has been added for Warner Bros. Pictures’ much-heralded WWI documentary “They Shall Not Grow Old,” from Oscar-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson. The film will be screened at more than 1,000 locations in the U.S. and Canada on Monday, January 21, 2019, taking advantage of the holiday weekend.....

.....Tickets will be available soon at www.FathomEvents.com and participating theater box offices."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190103005760/en/Peter-Jackson’s-“They-Grow-Old”-Date-Fathom

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The UK blu-ray is fantastic. Unless 3D is an absolute deal breaker for you, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I saw it on the 17th. The Fathom Events website listed two showings that day at the theater I frequent. The theater, thank goodness, added two more shows. I arrived at 6:30p and the 7 and 7:15 were already sold out and there were only five tickets left for the 8p showing. Pretty impressive for a documentary on a Monday night.

Tickets were $12.50 because of the 3D upcharge. I think the 2D showings were $9 or $10 because it was a special event.

I found it to be worth every penny. I was skeptical at first - colorization, sound, 3D? Those are not things I associate with preservation. I was blown away and then even more so when I watched the documentary afterwards. Jackson's attention to detail is mindboggling.

If you get a chance to see it - make every effort to do so. You won't be sorry.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
New, third showing date on Fathom Events Jan 21 2019

"On the heels of its already record-breaking release, and in response to popular demand, a third Fathom Events date has been added for Warner Bros. Pictures’ much-heralded WWI documentary “They Shall Not Grow Old,” from Oscar-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson. The film will be screened at more than 1,000 locations in the U.S. and Canada on Monday, January 21, 2019, taking advantage of the holiday weekend.....

.....Tickets will be available soon at www.FathomEvents.com and participating theater box offices."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190103005760/en/Peter-Jackson’s-“They-Grow-Old”-Date-Fathom
I'm going to see it on Monday as the 3-D ticket is only $8.69 for me at my local AMC Classic movie complex.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Well, it's, apparently, sold out in my area (Princeton, NJ), ALREADY. Need another showing!!!
Davis, CA has both 3D and 2D showings on 1/21, all with tickets still available. It's a long flight from Princeton, NJ, but we're not too far from the Napa and Sonoma wine country (about 80 minutes away). See a movie, sample the best wine in the US.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I saw this on the 17th, and was blown away. I’m really gonna try and see it again on the 21th. Just an amazing experience

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Went wide today and you can use AMC A-List.

My thoughts from the movie forum thread.

Saw it today thanks to A-List.

I thought it was a technically tremendous film. The end result of cleaning up the old footage was stunning

The film itself is a pretty straightforward account of British life in the trenches on the western front during WW1.

Hearing the actual soldiers telling their stories with the accompanying images on the screen in color and 3D was quite intimate and powerful.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I ordered the 2D from UK. I just don't see this ever coming out in 3D. :mellow:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Saw this in 3D at one of our local art houses today, the Cedar-Lee. Amazing film! So well done and I wanted to see it in 3D as we may not be able to do this at home. Even though in the prologue Director Peter Jackson told the audience to stay for his additional insight at the end, many left. No surprise, unfortunately. His explanation of the footage, restoration and personal interest in the material was one of the best parts of the entire viewing. Just wonderful! Highly recommended to anyone who has the opportunity to see this.

BTW, I'm a purist where colorization of B & W film is concerned and this was the first time I ever approved of it. So well done. Thank you for your passion Mr. Jackson.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I saw this today. This film is a masterpiece and a shining example of what cinema is about. I went to the 3D showing on everyone’s advice not expecting much from the 3D as the 3D conversions I’d seen previously (e.g., Titanic) were not impressive to me. Boy was I wrong. The 3D is remarkable. At one point, early on, some soldiers are seen marching out of a trench and I felt I was standing in front of them. Remarkable. Everyone should see this. BTW: on a side note, I guess we now know definitively that Peter Jackson, genius that he is, never brushes his hair. Maybe it’s an Einstein thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks