What's new

Warner Brothers is making a mistake (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's my understanding, as long as you stay away from 4K, that most any modern TV these days will display 3D, they just don't come with the glasses anymore.

I don’t believe that’s the case. As far as I know, there are no currently manufactured 3-D consumer displays other than projection units.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The pity of it is the standards developed for 4K displays didn’t include allowing for 3D films to be played even at only 1080 HD resolution.

4K sets were certainly capable of playing back 3-D until the manufacturers stopped including the necessary components.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
There are some general tenets of proper film restoration that would prohibit these films from being done on a minimal budget.

If prime elements are being accessed, all work must be performed at 4k resolution, with final 4k .dpx files.

I believe in these basics of restoration. If I owned the IP, I would not permit the work to be performed by any entity outside of a venue normally used by the studios.
Mercifully for 3D fans, Universal, Paramount and MGM saw it differently. I've seen Gog before the 3DFA restoration and I saw it after. Their restoration of that film alone--which makes it look like it was released yesterday--is reason enough for Warners to let the 3DFA have a crack at their titles.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
4K sets were certainly capable of playing back 3-D until the manufacturers stopped including the necessary components.

Well if they hadn't, we'd still be buying 1080p tvs. Cutting those boards out of the specs made 4ks far more accessible outside of the Magnolia Hi-Fi crowd.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Mercifully for 3D fans, Universal, Paramount and MGM saw it differently. I've seen Gog before the 3DFA restoration and I saw it after. Their restoration of that film alone--which makes it look like it was released yesterday--is reason enough for Warners to let the 3DFA have a crack at their titles.
Amen again.

Like I said, there deserves to be (eventually) at least a conversation. All kinds of possibilities arise when people actually talk... and think a bit outside of the box.

And this isn't just about 3DFA (though I've yet to learn of someone else who can do these on such a budget...); it's about anything or anyone that can persuade WB to explore ways to get these titles issued on blu ray.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Amen again.

Like I said, there deserves to be (eventually) at least a conversation. All kinds of possibilities arise when people actually talk... and think a bit outside of the box.

And this isn't just about 3DFA (though I've yet to learn of someone else who can do these on such a budget...); it's about anything or anyone that can persuade WB to explore ways to get these titles issued on blu ray.
Possibly the overriding problem here is the discussion of 3D and Blu-ray, when that isn‘t part of the equation.

One preserves and possibly restores a film not for Blu-ray, but as asset protection. The monies that would come in from a 3D Blu-ray release are (returning to my fraternity days) less significant than a pimple on a protozoa’s ass.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Possibly the overriding problem here is the discussion of 3D and Blu-ray, when that isn‘t part of the equation.

One preserves and possibly restores a film not for Blu-ray, but as asset protection. The monies that would come in from a 3D Blu-ray release are (returning to my fraternity days) less significant than a pimple on a protozoa’s ass.
So here's the existential question: For what exploitation -- if any -- would prints then be preserved?

I'm all for preservation, but to what end if these films are not going to be available for home -- or at least convenient theatrical -- consumption...?

In the case of 2D titles, that pretty much boils it down to TCM, maybe a couple of the more open-minded pay-cable movie nets, Fathom Events (and the like, i.e. Universal's 3D Jaws release and Regal's forthcoming showcase of Dawn of the Dead 3D), streaming and blu-ray/DVD.

For 3D titles, that boils it down to blu ray and theatrical (again, Fathom or the like).

Note I said "convenient" theatrical access. That of course excludes long trips to Rome NY at today's fuel prices....

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So here's the existential question: For what exploitation -- if any -- would prints then be preserved?

I'm all for preservation, but to what end if these films are not going to me available for home -- or at least convenient theatrical -- consumption...?

In the case of 2D titles, that pretty much boils it down to TCM, maybe a couple of the more open-minded pay-cable movie nets, Fathom Events (and the like, i.e. Universal's 3D Jaws release and Regal's forthcoming showcase of Dawn of the Dead 3D), streaming and blu-ray/DVD.

For 3D titles, that boils it down to blu ray and theatrical (again, Fathom or the like).

Note I said "convenient" theatrical access. That of course excludes long trips to Rome NY at today's fuel prices....
It comes down to nothing but not losing the IP. When films are restored, not all are recorded back to film. The public is blissfully unaware of preservation and / or restorations, except those publicized.

One never knows when IP may be requested, and some of the owners are doing a superb job of preserving their assets.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
One never knows when IP may be requested, and some of the owners are doing a superb job of preserving their assets.

Apparently in many cases never to be seen publicly again.

Seems somewhat counterintuitive for publicly traded companies. However thin the margin, isn't exploitation worth exploring, using internal and/or external resources?

Anyway, I've droned on long enough. David Zaslav's probably not reading this thread... so I'll give it a rest. ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Apparently in many cases never to be seen publicly again.

Seems somewhat counterintuitive for publicly traded companies. However thin the margin, isn't exploitation worth exploring, using internal and/or external resources?

Anyway, I've droned on long enough. David Zaslav's probably not reading this thread... so I'll give it a rest. ;)
Tendrils are everywhere.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
You do need a 3D Blu-Ray player, but modern TV standards, except for 4K, are high enough they will display 3D. How long those sets will stay on the market is anybody's guess as more sets are being made 4K compatible.

Here is a Sony info page updated in 2022.
Even considering the link was updated in May of 2022, the sets listed are back in the C series group; the current models are K series sets, and not configured to be compatible with either active or passive 3D. Not that they couldn’t be, it’s just that no manufacturer wants to bother with it nowadays, and it’s why I cherish my Sony Z9D, which was the last series where active 3D was offered to my knowledge (and was boxed with two sets of glasses).

Last edited:

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Even though this won't help anyone who actually wants to view the 3D version, all commercial 3D Bluray discs should play the 2D version of the movie on standard BD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks