What's new

They Shall Not Grow Old is the 3D event of the year (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would say no, not just no, heck no. Look at the sheer number of 4K displays being sold hourly in this country at all the big box stores. It's far exceeded the niche 3D display sales probably in a much shorter span of time as well. With 3D, you had to seek the TV out at the stores. Today (well over last 1-2 years) all that you can buy is pretty much 100% 4K in some form. All at many many price points. Couldn't say that with the 3D stuff.

3D was always niche and that's part of why it died.

Keep in mind that the studios who release 4K titles have their entire catalogs to choose from. 3D releases are almost exclusively derived from the comparatively small number of 3D theatrical releases. So, of course it was niche. But it could well have been permanent, had the marketers and studios gotten it right from the starting gate.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I agree, options were limited, still are. But due to all the missteps made by manufacturers and studios, not to mention the shear lack of interest by consumers, I don't see how economically it could exist full time.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I would say no, not just no, heck no. Look at the sheer number of 4K displays being sold hourly in this country at all the big box stores. It's far exceeded the niche 3D display sales probably in a much shorter span of time as well. With 3D, you had to seek the TV out at the stores. Today (well over last 1-2 years) all that you can buy is pretty much 100% 4K in some form. All at many many price points. Couldn't say that with the 3D stuff.

3D was always niche and that's part of why it died.

3D viewing may be niche, but the production of 3D displays was no such thing about 7 years ago. Most quality units included 3D whether you wanted that feature or not.

Pointing at 4K TV sales says absolutely nothing about the number of viewers who will ever use that technology to its potential. How many will ever buy a 4K disc? How many new 4K TV owners are still watching DVDs instead of Blu-ray?

In other words, buying a 4K TV does not immediately place you in the ranks of a groundswell of support for UHD any more than all those 3D sets that were sold but have never been used to watch a 3D presentation.

Yes, 3D is and always was a niche market. So is the market for vinyl LPs, yet that has seen a resurgence based partly on nostalgia and (to a lesser extent) on quality. I stream some music, but I also still purchase CDs. It is the all-or-nothing approach that displeases fans of specific formats.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
No. It was the insulting, vituperative tantrum-like tone of some of the posts that displeased this non-fan. Sorry for the post. I forgot I'd already been told to go away by the thread marshal.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
No. It was the insulting, vituperative tantrum-like tone of some of the posts that displeased this non-fan.

I agree that one post in particular was vituperative (I like that word, and am pleased you found a use for it) and overstated the case against studio non-support of 3D. However, while I didn't like the tone I do appreciate the message. 3D fans feel dumped on, not because studios don't make all moves in 3D, but because they have begun to forego home video releases of existing 3D films.

Mr. Jackson plainly wants us to see his hard work in 3D, but apparently I am not going to have that option, even though the studios would not even need to add a single disc to the package (if they are worried about cost).

If never another film is released at the cinema in 3D I can be happy with the ones that have -- but studios that withhold available titles are absolutely displaying an "I-don't-care" attitude toward individuals they once hoped would be regular consumers of their wares. I will never, ever purchase a 2D version of a 3D film. That decision won't affect the bottom line of any corporation, but I will always know that it was the studio that compromised, not me.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
3D viewing may be niche, but the production of 3D displays was no such thing about 7 years ago. Most quality units included 3D whether you wanted that feature or not.

Pointing at 4K TV sales says absolutely nothing about the number of viewers who will ever use that technology to its potential. How many will ever buy a 4K disc? How many new 4K TV owners are still watching DVDs instead of Blu-ray?

In other words, buying a 4K TV does not immediately place you in the ranks of a groundswell of support for UHD any more than all those 3D sets that were sold but have never been used to watch a 3D presentation.

Yes, 3D is and always was a niche market. So is the market for vinyl LPs, yet that has seen a resurgence based partly on nostalgia and (to a lesser extent) on quality. I stream some music, but I also still purchase CDs. It is the all-or-nothing approach that displeases fans of specific formats.

Disc sales are dying off so odds are most new 4K smart TV owners will not waste the money in buying expensive discs and players. They can click on the Netflix app (UHD 4K/HDR)or YouTube and watch plenty of 4K stuff for half the cost of just one 4K movie on disc.

Vinyl isn't really taking off again. It will have it's nostalgia crowd (me included) but it will never become a thing again as days of past.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Disc sales are dying off so odds

To be accurate -- DVD sales have been falling drastically approx 20-25% annually for several years now. BD sales are falling slowly -- approx 3-4% per year since peak 2013. UHD sale are drastically higher than they were last year though a lot of that is obviously due to number of actual releases to honestly much of the BD decline can be traced to items companies aren't releasing on BD at all that they were a few years ago. BD(incl 3D) + UHD is only slightly lower than 2-3 years ago -- this year quarterly sales were up in 3 out of 4 quarters compared to 2017. 2019 should be the year HD discs finally outsell DVD overall.

This only includes US data from those retailers reporting through HomeMediaMagazine. I have yet to find anything reliable about International sale nor exactly which retailers don't report to HMM.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Here's the real question: Will we get They Shall Not Grow Old on 3D BD on this side of the pond? All indicators point to no, which is a crying shame for those of us who would love it and have the ability to play it. Further, if you want to finger point and lay blame as to why, the blame lies on the BBC, plain and simple. They are the ones who financed the project, hired Peter Jackson to do it, and released it to theatres in colour and 3D. Don't blame WB, as they merely have a licence to distribute BBC product on disc, and are one of the few labels still releasing their own material in 3D. I'm not sure what benefit UHD 4K would bring to this project, given that most of the footage may barely have 2K worth of resolution, and HDR will do nothing for footage of this vintage. I've gotten to the point where I'm sick and tired of the arguments over 3D vs. 4K etc., etc., and simply question for those who would come and threadcrap on a forum page stating that They Shall Not Grow Old is the 3D event of the year: why are you here? Your anti-3D evangelising is falling on deaf ears here. We've heard it all, and NOTHING is going to change. Let us enjoy our little corner in peace, and we will afford you the same courtesy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, this thread really got sidetracked. Please, let’s calm down the emotions and remember this is a community for HT enthusiasts. The enemy isn’t each other, it’s the corporate greed and the total disregard that corporations of today have towards their consumer base. So can we get back on topic and discuss the subject matter that this thread was started for. Thank you and let’s be respectful and friendly towards each other.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to say that the 3D for this film is impossible. It has made less than $6 million at the box office, home video sales will probably be one tenth of that for the 2D BD. Where does that leave a 3D version on Blu-Ray? DOA.

Sorry guys, this is coming from someone that loves 3D very much:(

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm going to say that the 3D for this film is impossible. It has made less than $6 million at the box office, home video sales will probably be one tenth of that for the 2D BD. Where does that leave a 3D version on Blu-Ray? DOA.

$6 mill is damn solid for this film considering it only had two days in theaters. Who knows? Maybe Peter Jackson has something in his deal with WB for a 3D Blu-ray. :)

The screening I attended was sold out and I was pretty surprised by that. A good deal of the audience skewed younger as well. Didn't think a WWI documentary would be such a draw at 4pm on a Thursday.

As for the movie, some of the restoration was very impressive. But a lot of the movie was footage that was DNR'd to death, blown up, cropped, and colorized. Good job in some respects, but the purist in me had mixed feelings. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
$6 mill is damn solid for this film considering it only had two days in theaters. Who knows? Maybe Peter Jackson has something in his deal with WB for a 3D Blu-ray. :)

The screening I attended was sold out and I was pretty surprised by that. A good deal of the audience skewed younger as well. Didn't think a WWI documentary would be such a draw at 4pm on a Thursday.

As for the movie, some of the restoration was very impressive. But a lot of the movie was footage that was DNR'd to death, blown up, cropped, and colorized. Good job in some respects, but the purist in me had mixed feelings. :)
Yeah, I missed it here as they wanted $15 for a ticket which is double the normal price of a ticket here. Looking back, I wish I attended even though I wasn't in the mood to go to the movie theater that day.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

There is still more money to be made as the film expands this month into more theaters with a general release. Don’t count out a 3D home version yet.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
There is still more money to be made as the film expands this month into more theaters with a general release. Don’t count out a 3D home version yet.

I totally agree as Warner Home Video still has respect for us 3D enthusiasts. There is still a chance the Warner Archive could give us a 3D enabled version of this great film after it's more widespread release. Here's hoping all are complaining on this site gets through to someone who cares at the Warner Achieve!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Nine of the top ten grossing films of 2018 were released in 3-D.

t10.jpg

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I wonder how much of the total gross came from 3D presentations? 1%, more? Seems when our local theaters have a 3D showing it's limited to a handful of showings vs. 2D. Meaning on a Friday you can find one screen showing it at say 4:30 and 7:30 only.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I totally agree as Warner Home Video still has respect for us 3D enthusiasts. There is still a chance the Warner Archive could give us a 3D enabled version of this great film after it's more widespread release. Here's hoping all are complaining on this site gets through to someone who cares at the Warner Achieve!

Post a comment on their Facebook page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks