What's new

The worst DVD purchased (aka: Discount Bin) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
On behalf of a friend of mine who actually bought it, TORNADO RUN.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
On behalf of a friend of mine of who actually bought it, TORNADO RUN. As for me, Madacy's horrid edition of the 1942 JUNGLE BOOK.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
Most of you seem to post 'Metropolis (Madacy)' as the worst DVD on the market..
But the question I have for you ... is there really a better print of this age old movie out there on VHS?
Or is somebody really going to release the rumored restored German version on DVD soon?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
My bad... different movie, similar name. Duh! :)
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The problem with "Metropolis" is that it's from a really bad videotape source- there's a part somewhere in the first 5 minutes where you can see a stretch mark from the master tape run down the screen! It's accompanied by an awful-sounding orchestral score that sounds like it was recorded out-of-phase with the levels way too high. To top it off, the title of the movie doesn't even fit on the screen- it says "METROPOLI"! Age has nothing to do with it; with the right equipment you could make any movie look this bad. I haven't seen any other video transfers of this, but I seriously doubt this is the best one available.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Without question, the worst disc I have purchased is Madacy's "The Magic of Vienna". The music of Johann Strauss set against scenes of Vienna. Bad video and worse audio. This is a stinker!
Honorable Mention:
Simitar's "The Apocalypse" starring Sandra Bernhard and Laura San Giacomo. UUGGGH!
rin
------------------
My Home Theater

JerryW

Supporting Actor
If any of you with regrets about the DVD release of Highlander (yes, it does suck) own a LD player, pickup the LD Director's cut. It has far superior video and audio. Plus it can be had on ebay for $5-7.
My vote for worst goes to the Madacy (
tongue.gif
) release of Fists of Fury/Chinese Connection ($5). Now, I'm not overly picky about video quality, but the grain and "fuzziness" was so bad I couldn't even make out Bruce's facial expressions. Not to mention the horrific mono sound mix. It's the only disc I've ever thrown away rather than return or sell.
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy
[Edited last by JerryW on September 06, 2001 at 12:48 PM]

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a tie between NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION and an obscure Anchor Bay title called ZACHARIAH which bills itself as "The First Electric Western." 'Nuff said!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The Moroder Metropolis LD looks pretty good, considering the films age - and why, like an idiot, did I ever sell my mint copy many moons ago!
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I rented the German import of "Dead and Buried" on DVD from avant-garde video store CineFile in LA and it looks like they found the worst print they could dig up, projected it onto an old sheet and filmed that with a video camera before transferring it to DVD.
[Edited last by Mark Cappelletty on September 06, 2001 at 08:55 PM]

Mike Meeks

Auditioning
KING OF NEW YORK - Cool Christopher Walken movie, but a crappy disc. Artisan's front cover art has printed at the bottom, "Where Scarface left off...King of New York begins". :)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Madacy's Dementia 13 (the "v-hold" busts loose half way through and the picture bounces up and down)
Simitar's For Your Height Only... bizarre and boring Philipino movie starring a midgit as James Bond. Unbelievable.
I second the mention of Zachariah, although it still sits proudly on my shelf due to it's camp value. It sits proudly next to Anchor Bay's Train Ride To Hollywood and Candy :)

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
First double post of the day
blush.gif

[Edited last by Don Myles on September 07, 2001 at 11:21 AM]

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
The Blood Simple R2 (UK) release is simply godawful - can't even decide if it looks marginally better or worse than my old VHS copy.
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks