The worst DVD purchased (aka: Discount Bin)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidEC, Sep 2, 2001.

1. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the worst DVD that I have ever seen....
    Background... I like to pick up the 'Discounted' DVD's from my local stores, some times I have found an old B&W story on this format.
    I picked up a DVD called 'NAKED SPACE'(Leslie Nielsen, Patrick Macnee, produced by Michael Landes)...
    This is the first DVD that I have purchased that I was sorry that I spent the money ($4.99) on... Back in the early days of video tape (1980-84) I would pick up a 'bootleg' tape once in a while.... and the worse tape looked and sounded better than this piece of...
    With names like the ones listed I could not belive how bad this DVD was...
    So what has been the worse DVD that you have ever picked up?
    --David

2. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

I see a trip to Polls in this thread's near future...
    To answer the question I have not picked up any super cheap DVD's at all (under, say, $10.00). Usually these discs are fullscreen (P&S), non-anamorphic, no extras, etc. I generally check here and various other DVD sites for info on any title that I'm interested in buying beforehand.
    I honestly haven't seen any titles I want in those "bargain bins"... and all of my movies are ones I like and knew they were of good quality beforehand.
    The one I own with the worst transfer is The Sound of Music, which suffers from extreme edge enhancement.

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Heinz: That used to be the case, but there are quite a few discs under $10 nowadays that have nice anamorphic transfers.
    My two worst were Simitar's Body Armor (which I bought because the trailer was hysterically over-the-top) and the full-frame version of the nearly unwatchable New Rose Hotel.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

4. Tim Raffey

Tim Raffey Stunt Coordinator

Francis Coppola's Dementia 13 ($3.20 USD) and Heavenly Creatures ($7 US).
    Both are full frame (though I have a feeling the latter was shot 1.33) and neither look good at all, but until a better version of Heavenly Creatures comes out, I don't regret buying either.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd say Fantasia, but most people don't really care about those blurry 30 seconds on the Pastoral segment.
    The Great Santini (one of my father's discs, actually) has dirt and scratches ALL over the print and the opening credits are 8mm grainy!
    It's the correct aspect ratio, at least...it was made for TV as "Ace"
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

6. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

It would probably be Alien: Resurrection, from Buy.com. I ordered Aliens, and they sent me that [​IMG]. On the other hand, I traded it in for The Abyss (at least I think it was that, I know I traded something lame for it)!
    -Tom
    ------------------
    There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!
    [Edited last by Tom Ryan on September 02, 2001 at 02:05 PM]

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Really, Tom, Alien: Resurrection is your worst disc? I rather like it. I crank it and it's just wonderful! There sure are a lot worse discs out there.
    Of course, discs from Madacy are just about as bad as they come. Both Metropolis and A Walk in the Sun were more than awful. I was mightily disappointed with Hooper. And a few more than escape me at the moment.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

8. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Alien: Resurrection was my worst disc mostly because I hate the film. Worst in the Alien series, imo. The technical merits failed to impress me because I wanted Aliens, not Alien: Resurrection! I only buy DVDs of films I already know I love, and almost always only special editions of those.
    -Tom
    ------------------
    There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

9. Ben_J_L

Ben_J_L Stunt Coordinator

My worst DVD's are either Raging Bull or Aliens.
    I think Raging Bull is a brill film, but the DVD is she-ite, and Aliens, cus I liked it as a kid and have gone off it - not realising this when I bought it at Virgin Megastores (London) in their 2 for £30 offer.

10. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The Stendhal Syndrome - One of the many reasons I hate Troma with a passion. The video quality in 1.66:1 non-anamorphic widescreen is near horrible, the audio (DD 2.0) is near decent, and the extras suck (excluding the Dario Argento interviews... but I'd like to know who finds Julie Strain rapping enjoyable).
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
    My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

11. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

12. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

I am the devil...and I hate kids.

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Three words:
    HIGHLANDER HIGHLANDER HIGHLANDER

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Matthew, I'd find almost anything Julie does enjoyable. But she actually raps on that DVD? Might have to rent it just for that. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Bombardment Society - Member

15. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

Fellow 'HTF' members.. boy some of you are so picky that you might miss out on a good (not great or perfect) old time movie.
    I was not really talking (well really writing) about personal tastes for a movie.. but over all quality of the DVD/MOVIE.
    Sure you are going to get some bad transfers.. but some of these are due to the age of the program/type of film used in the original production.
    [Naked Space]
    But when you have a production dated from the 70/80's that was this bad..
    Many times the audio was out of time with the program, the audio sounded like it was from a mono AM radio station 200 miles from your home.
    The color shifted in the middle of a shot.

16. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

17. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

[​IMG] Robert, are you admitting you really are Satan or not??? Where's the smiley????
    -Tom
    ------------------

18. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The Crying Game, while an excellent movie, is easily the worse DVD I have ever bought.
    --
    Holadem

19. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I have escaped this so far although i have picked up a few non-bargain DVD's I wish I hadn't.
    My good friend however hit a double header a few weeks ago. Brandon Lee's Laser Mission and Peter Fonda's Wild Angels. These were the 2 worst movies i have seen in my entire life without even getting into the quality of the disc.
    I woke up screaming last night.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

20. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

my worst disc ever was THE MATRIX!!!!!!! It was the first DVD I bought and almost made me feel like I made a mistake getting a DVD player!! Can you imagine. The sound was crappy!!! The movie sucked and was STUPID. The plot was STUPD. "He's the one""he's believing" "NEO!! your him" "Neo, If your the one" THE ONLY DAMN WORDS YOU HEAR THROUGHT THE WHOLE FILM ARE "your the one" over and over. Stupid movie. Then I got T2:UE and said "Now this is what I got a DVD player for [​IMG]"
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333