What's new

The Wonder Years: UK Set Vs US Set Question (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, I've been debating on which Wonder Years set to get. I'd like to have the full 26 disc set but I'm concerned about the music that was not cleared or replacements were used.

I've been reading and the series was released in the UK by Fabulous Films (26 disc set with everything that was on the Time Life set) with 100% original music as broadcast. Is this true or just fantasy? I'd be willing to buy the UK set if it indeed has all of the original as broadcast music intact. If not, I'll get the US Time Life set. Are the music replacements noticeable? Now, I've only seen a handful of episodes over the years, but I do know period sounding music. So, if the replacements are not really jarring, I will probably not notice them. However, I would like to have as close to original as possible. Does anyone have the UK set and can give me a brief review?

Thanks for the help with this. I really want to get this series but I want the best version.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
A little off-topic, but related to The Wonder Years:

I found three videos from the original broadcast version of the pilot, with Arye Gross narrating. A promo, a different opening sequence, and the ending. Enjoy.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Ok, I've been debating on which Wonder Years set to get. I'd like to have the full 26 disc set but I'm concerned about the music that was not cleared or replacements were used.

I've been reading and the series was released in the UK by Fabulous Films (26 disc set with everything that was on the Time Life set) with 100% original music as broadcast. Is this true or just fantasy? I'd be willing to buy the UK set if it indeed has all of the original as broadcast music intact. If not, I'll get the US Time Life set. Are the music replacements noticeable? Now, I've only seen a handful of episodes over the years, but I do know period sounding music. So, if the replacements are not really jarring, I will probably not notice them. However, I would like to have as close to original as possible. Does anyone have the UK set and can give me a brief review?

Thanks for the help with this. I really want to get this series but I want the best version.

http://www.wonder-years.tv/twyondvd.php

The UK edition contains every song but one played on The Wonder Years. One song could not be cleared for the DVD release and has been replaced with similar music (no cuts have been made):

• Here Comes the Sun -- Richie Havens (Episode 7/2.01 "Heart of Darkness"). Replaced by "Train to Nowhere".
  • Here Comes the Sun -- Richie Havens (Episode 69/4.23 "Wonder Years (Clip Show)"). Replaced by "Train to Nowhere".
However, according to our information, the UK edition does not contain the original main title by Joe Cocker for every episode.

Moreover, Fabulous Films confirms that all 23 hours of bonus feautures and the booklets of the US/Canada edition are included.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I've been reading and the series was released in the UK by Fabulous Films (26 disc set with everything that was on the Time Life set) with 100% original music as broadcast. Is this true or just fantasy? I'd be willing to buy the UK set if it indeed has all of the original as broadcast music intact. If not, I'll get the US Time Life set. Are the music replacements noticeable? Now, I've only seen a handful of episodes over the years, but I do know period sounding music. So, if the replacements are not really jarring, I will probably not notice them. However, I would like to have as close to original as possible.

Bear in mind that the UK set will be in PAL format, so the soundtrack will suffer for "PAL speedup", meaning the episodes will play 4% faster than normal, so although the songs will be the originals, they will noticeably change pitch.

So, it's still a trade-off, but depends on which is the lesser of two evils to you.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Bear in mind that the UK set will be in PAL format, so the soundtrack will suffer for "PAL speedup", meaning the episodes will play 4% faster than normal, so although the songs will be the originals, they will noticeably change pitch.

So, it's still a trade-off, but depends on which is the lesser of two evils to you.

Unless they're not working with the original film elements, the speed and pitch will be left alone.

The Wonder Years had a very videotape feel for a filmed show.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Unless they're not working with the original film elements, the speed and pitch will be left alone.

True, though it's hard to know exactly what sort of masters they're working from, as I own neither set.

I had thought that they went back to the original elements for the US set at least, but that could've just been an assumption. Surely someone who is picky about the music would have purchased this and would know.

If they did work from tape masters, then there wouldn't be any sound problems, just possible annoyance of a double standards conversion and the visual artifacts that go along with that (going from an NTSC master, to PAL and, if the OP doesn't have a PAL-compatible player and TV, then conversion back to NTSC once again).

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the info. The one missing song on the UK set doesn't bother me as much as the original main theme song not being on every episode. Looks like I'll be getting the US set.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I wonder what the deal is with the original theme not being on every episode of the UK series set? Is the premium for that one on a per episode basis, or was this simply an unfortunate error?

I do also recall hearing the Richie Havens version of "Here Comes The Sun" during THE WONDER YEARS' original run. It's too bad that one couldn't be cleared for the two episodes (I believe it's the latter episode from which I heard this, as I missed some of the very early episodes, if I recall correctly!) it was a part of, for either release!

Does anyone know if 4% PAL speedup is a factor with the UK set?

CHEERS! :)

LCD22

Screenwriter

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, this is good news. If they can get each and every bit of music cleared and present the series in 100% as broadcast, then I'll go with the UK set.

Tober27

Auditioning
Real Name
Tober
You might want to wait. Fabulous is working on a replacement that will restore the original theme and Richie Haven.

Was this done? Is there a newer version with this song in tact?
The provided link appears to be dead so I cannot see what was planned. Any updated info would be appreciated. It looks like the UK set is the best, but I want to know if there's a more complete version released after 2016, and can't seem to find it referenced anywhere.

Thanks for any further info!

LCD22

Screenwriter
Was this done? Is there a newer version with this song in tact?
The provided link appears to be dead so I cannot see what was planned. Any updated info would be appreciated. It looks like the UK set is the best, but I want to know if there's a more complete version released after 2016, and can't seem to find it referenced anywhere.

Thanks for any further info!

Unfortunately, the thread over there has been dead for some time now. I do not know what became of Fabulous and their plans to correct this. And wonder-years.tv (https://www.wonder-years.tv/twyondvd.html#uk) has had no further info either.

Tober27

Auditioning
Real Name
Tober
It's a shame the thread is dead and not archived, as I'd like to read what was said.

https://www.wonder-years.tv/twyondvd.html#uk has some good info, but nothing about the music in other regions, Australia for example. And most of the info on the UK set is from an Amazon review and doesn't seem to be verified anywhere else, just taken as fact (it's probably accurate though).

I'd like to buy the set, but this makes me hesitant and unsure.
I emailed Fabulous to inquire, but don't expect a helpful response.

Tober27

Auditioning
Real Name
Tober
And I'm sure I could piece together torrents of the "correct" versions, but I like a collection, and I'm interested in the extras, printed and video.

Tober27

Auditioning
Real Name
Tober
Yes, you have a vast library right at your fingertips.

Tober, Australia has 96% of the original music.

So this is the American versions rather than the UK?
I would have thought the other way around, since Australia is also PAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks