What's new

The Wonder Years: UK Set Vs US Set Question (2 Viewers)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
So this is the American versions rather than the UK?
I would have thought the other way around, since Australia is also PAL.

Yes, Australia is a PAL country, but they sometimes go with an NTSC release if it's 'better' than an available PAL release (or if a PAL release wasn't offered in another country). There was at least one classic Doctor Who release they used the US master for because it had corrected a fault (either an edit or technical fault) that was on the UK version. They also had an NTSC Grace and Favour (Are You Being Served? Again!) as there wasn't a PAL release yet.

Technically, all TVs and playback devices in PAL countries are multi-system compatible (unless they're really old), so NTSC releases sometimes happen, anyway, and Fabulous Films in the UK are one company who do this. Their Automan and Six Million Dollar Man were NTSC (and they were the first country to release Automan).

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
My Fabulous Films set of Automan is PAL, not NTSC.

As I recall they used an NTSC->PAL converted transfer so the runtimes are about equal to that of the US broadcast but the discs are very much formatted for PAL equipment.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
My Fabulous Films set of Automan is PAL, not NTSC.

As I recall they used an NTSC->PAL converted transfer so the runtimes are about equal to that of the US broadcast but the discs are very much formatted for PAL equipment.

Ah, quite. I must've mistaken something I read about the $6 Million Man set and this one.

EDIT: Now I remember why I bought the PAL Fabulous Films release instead of the US one (the following from an Amazon review of Shout! Factory's US release):

Shout Factory really dropped the ball on this one: They converted this release from the PAL masters/files originally created for the UK release by Fabulous Films.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks