What's new

International The Lovejoy Conundrum: (1986-1994) Still needs a Blu ray Box set (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I need help here, one of my favorite series from the UK is Lovejoy. Great cast and theme of, art, intrigue and just over all mayhem with a slice of comedy and wonderful revenge. I bought the first 6 seasons on dvd, but discovered a few things while searching for the hope of a BD box set.
I found that there should be actually 8 seasons (1986-1994) but only 6 seasons are on DVD? I find this quote from Netflix thar comfirms my suspisions "For eight seasons of this light-hearted BBC crime series, Ian McShane portrayed Lovejoy, an antiques dealer with a nose for quality as well as crime and a propensity for uncovering the mysteries behind the treasures he acquires." However I did find this that might have answered the gap issue from Wickipedia...The show, which ran to 71 episodes over six series, was originally broadcast on BBC1 between 10 January 1986 and 4 December 1994, although there was a five-year gap between the first and second series. It was adapted for television by Ian La Frenais. So who is right?
Who else would love to aquire a BD box set?

And for such a popular series, Why no BD Box set?

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Todd, the Wikipedia (and IMDB) listings for Lovejoy are correct: it only ran for six series (or seasons). There was indeed a five year gap between Series 1 and 2. From my understanding, some of that delay was due to star Ian McShane's commitments to appear on Dallas in the U.S. in the late '80s. So your set with all 6 seasons is complete.

As for it coming out on Blu-Ray, I'd say the chances are unlikely, but who knows? The show was very popular, especially in the U.S., and I beleve was filmed in 35mm, so it should scrub up nicely (and perhaps has already been upgraded to HD for streaming purposes, for all I know). At this late stage in the physical media game, however, it's probably a long-shot to receive a BD release.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'd say a blu-ray is very unlikely, given how the show was made. Looks like they'd have to do as was done with Star Trek: The Next Generation (i.e. shot on film, but edited on tape).

From Roobarb's forum (in 2011, from Steve Roberts of the BBC):

Unfortunately, Lovejoy is never going to look good unless they go right back to film and reconform the programme afresh. The original workflow was telecine transfer of the camera negative rolls to Betacam SP, then edited on SP and dubbed to D3 for transmission. So you have noisy MK3 telecine neg transfers, multi-gen Beta SP edits and a composite dub to D3. Nasty.

I do have to wonder if that was the workflow for series 1, as it was made five years earlier than series 2, but 1986 could still mean edited-on-tape, as a lot of US shows were moving to tape post-production at that time.

In that Roobarb's thread, I also discovered that the UK's two different DVD releases were different: the first one (from Delta) had music replacement for quite a number of pop songs, and I suspect the first US release from Warner was the same. The UK re-release (from Revelation Films) has the originally as-broadcast music restored (and adds the subtitles that were on the US release). No idea if the second US release (from Acorn) put back in the replaced music (or used the same masters as the previous Warner/BBC set), but have discovered that on the US Acorn set (but not the Warner one), seasons 1 and 2 were slowed-down to 24fps (from the original UK 25fps), so it's the opposite effect of "PAL speedup" (i.e. NTSC slowdown).

So, it appears if one wants Lovejoy as complete as possible, the UK Revelation Films discs are the ones to have.

Ian McShane is 80 today, by the way.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My wife and I have started watching Lovejoy and really enjoy it. Such a comfortable show. Ian McShane has "loveable rogue" down pat. And all those quirky characters around him add to the fun.
It's one of those shows you can go back to again and again, if you get into it, and pickup where you left off. Great series, lovable and no so lovable charcters, but the stories and interaction is wonderful!!
This one as well as Monarch of the Glen really need to be kicked up to BD. It wouldn't take that much to remaster, I'd love to see it...I'd grab them in a heartbeat!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'd say a blu-ray is very unlikely, given how the show was made. Looks like they'd have to do as was done with Star Trek: The Next Generation (i.e. shot on film, but edited on tape).

From Roobarb's forum (in 2011, from Steve Roberts of the BBC):

Unfortunately, Lovejoy is never going to look good unless they go right back to film and reconform the programme afresh. The original workflow was telecine transfer of the camera negative rolls to Betacam SP, then edited on SP and dubbed to D3 for transmission. So you have noisy MK3 telecine neg transfers, multi-gen Beta SP edits and a composite dub to D3. Nasty.

I do have to wonder if that was the workflow for series 1, as it was made five years earlier than series 2, but 1986 could still mean edited-on-tape, as a lot of US shows were moving to tape post-production at that time.

In that Roobarb's thread, I also discovered that the UK's two different DVD releases were different: the first one (from Delta) had music replacement for quite a number of pop songs, and I suspect the first US release from Warner was the same. The UK re-release (from Revelation Films) has the originally as-broadcast music restored (and adds the subtitles that were on the US release). No idea if the second US release (from Acorn) put back in the replaced music (or used the same masters as the previous Warner/BBC set), but have discovered that on the US Acorn set (but not the Warner one), seasons 1 and 2 were slowed-down to 24fps (from the original UK 25fps), so it's the opposite effect of "PAL speedup" (i.e. NTSC slowdown).

So, it appears if one wants Lovejoy as complete as possible, the UK Revelation Films discs are the ones to have.

Ian McShane is 80 today, by the way.
Thanks Andy!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
here is my favorite version of the cast

Attachments

• season-1.jpeg
    season-1.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 46

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Lovejoy (of course) was a big hit in the Americas too, and a huge boost to A+E network in the '90s, back when they were still worthwhile...I have the complete series boxset, and I think it at least looks better than just acceptable on the existing DVDs...here's some screen caps that I took from one of the Christmas themed episodes, The Prague Sun, with the great Donald Pleasance...
Lovejoy 34.JPG

Lovejoy 35.JPG

Lovejoy 41.JPG

Lovejoy 50.JPG

Lovejoy 52.JPG

Lovejoy 54.JPG

Lovejoy 55.JPG

Lovejoy 58.JPG

Lovejoy 59.JPG

Lovejoy 65.JPG

Lovejoy 60.JPG

Lovejoy 63.JPG

Lovejoy 69.JPG

Lovejoy 72.JPG

Lovejoy 71.JPG

Lovejoy 74.JPG

Lovejoy 73.JPG

Lovejoy 75.JPG

Lovejoy 79.JPG

Love the show!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Lovejoy (of course) was a big hit in the Americas too, and a huge boost to A+E network in the '90s, back when they were still worthwhile...I have the complete series boxset, and I think it at least looks better than just acceptable on the existing DVDs...here's some screen caps that I took from one of the Christmas themed episodes, The Prague Sun, with the great Donald Pleasance...
View attachment 155628
View attachment 155629
View attachment 155630
View attachment 155631
View attachment 155632
View attachment 155633
View attachment 155634
View attachment 155635
View attachment 155636
View attachment 155637
View attachment 155638
View attachment 155639
View attachment 155640
View attachment 155641
View attachment 155642
View attachment 155643
View attachment 155646
View attachment 155644
View attachment 155645

Love the show!

One of my favorite episodes and I agree the dvds are great to have, still although better than nothing But again, a good 2k or 4k remastering these episodes would POP!! Even on dvd or bd... just want to see the show get some well desreved attention and love!!

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Count me in as another who would love to see Lovejoy on BD. One of my favorite series ever after originally watching it on A&E in the 90's (when A&E was actually worth watching), and it's all due to Ian McShane and a great supporting cast. I'm happy to at least have it on DVD, but a remastering would open my wallet post haste.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks