Jim

Just for levity
Wizard Of Oz Film GIF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I assume that's Judy's stand-in Bobbi over her right shoulder. Is that Myrna Loy next to Victor Fleming?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought it was Billie Burke next to Fleming?

Is that Margaret Hamilton shoveling it in? Judy's giving her the side-eye and probably thinking, "No way that broom's going to carry you now, witch."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It probably is Billie Burke though that woman looks younger than Billie to me. She'd certainly have more reason to be there than Myrna Loy!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Mryna Loy was good friends with Billie Burke.

Margaret isn't eating cake, she's eating ice cream as the cake hasn't been cut yet.

Which director cut the cake, Victor Fleming or King Vidor?

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Speaking of an anniversary, when can we expect an 85th Anniversary DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD/4K presentation box set to come out, as next year marks the 85th Anniversary of the movie?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Here is another photo from the same party showing that the woman is Myrna Loy.

View attachment 197991
The cake is half gone, and poor Judy still hasn't had any! I suspect MGM wouldn't let her have a piece of her own cake anyway. Some of the little people said Judy got a 10-pound box of candy for her birthday that she shared with them on the Yellow Brick Road.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The cake is half gone, and poor Judy still hasn't had any! I suspect MGM wouldn't let her have a piece of her own cake anyway. Some of the little people said Judy got a 10-pound box of candy for her birthday that she shared with them on the Yellow Brick Road.

Judy's birthday was on June 10th, it wasn't a party for her. This was reportedly taken in February 1939 and was a combination birthday and farewell party for Victor Fleming, who was leaving to take over GWTW and was a week or so shy of his actual birthday. The woman in the picture is Myrna, who was also a good friend of Fleming's and on the lot that day.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Judy's birthday was on June 10th, it wasn't a party for her. This was reportedly taken in February 1939 and was a combination birthday and farewell party for Victor Fleming, who was leaving to take over GWTW and was a week or so shy of his actual birthday. The woman in the picture is Myrna, who was also a good friend of Fleming's and on the lot that day.

Victor Fleming left Oz on February 12 1939 to deal with the trouble going on with Gone With The Wind as director George Cukor wasn't get along with Clark Gabel.

King Vidor directed from February 18 through March 16 1939. He apparently filmed all of Kansas in just one week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks