What's new

3D Blu-ray Review The Wizard of Oz: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Just saw it tonight with my 11 year old son. Wow, Very impressed with the 3D. The picture was gorgeous and I thought the background scenery had a lot of depth to it. Witch's finger and at times Glenda's wand had a little bit of pop out factor. Also Glenda's bubble had a nice 3D look to it. I just couldn't get over how much detail there is. I found myself at times just staring at the detail of the Tin Man's costume and makeup. Loved the depth of the Wizard's tunnel as well. Actually this was my first time seeing a movie in IMAX and the first time seeing Wizard on the big screen. I was surprised at the number of people that showed up, the theater was nearly packed. And of course, many of us clapped before and after the movie. Glad I decided to go.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw it in 3D iMax today, also. I found the 3D to be very natural. It did not call attention to itself. Very well done, did not look like a conversion.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Looks as if we get a different cover design here in Australia.
I think I like the US one better.

wizardoz.jpg

It's released here in a couple of days time, so I cancelled my Amazon order and will now get a local copy.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I saw TWoO in a theater for its 60th anniversary....and found myself also seeing details I'd never seen before. DEFINITELY a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen at least once in your lifetime!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The sync issues were not in the 2009 Blu-ray release. I checked it last Friday after noticing the sync problems in IMAX.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mine came in today from amazon, I noticed the non 3D is rated GBut the 3D version is PG "for some scary moments".

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
TonyD said:
Mine came in today from amazon, I noticed the non 3D is rated GBut the 3D version is PG "for some scary moments".
Don't you know? 3D is scarier than 2D!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I saw this at the IMAX theater in New Brunswick, NJ and the only reason why it might look claustrophobic at home is because of the framing. On the IMAX screen it didn't feel that way at all, but maybe a wide screen with an Academy projection might fool you into thinking it's claustrophobic.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I think the newly branded PG rating is dumb! Was one of the flying monkeys seen smoking a cigarette?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The sad fact is that in today's world, a G rating isn't considered "cool." It brands a film as a kid's movie in the minds of many, so the PG rating is actually preferred nowadays for family-centric movies, and I'll bet Warners either didn't object to the PG or encouraged it.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I'm upset that they fixed the visual flaws for the 3D version, but not for the original! If we are going to rebuy this, can't they at least correct the errors on the original?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
BarryR said:
I think the newly branded PG rating is dumb! Was one of the flying monkeys seen smoking a cigarette?
Maybe it's because they aren't wearing pants? :lol:

Or maybe the MPAA finally spotted that gun the Scarecrow is packing when they're off to kill the witch get the broom.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
Lets face it..we all bitch and moan when technology fails at restoring a film we love...you know,loss of grain, poor color, wrong AR etc. The Wiz exists intact as it was originally and we're very happy about that!!...Now along comes Warners again and what do they do?..they produce an absolutley stunning 3D conversion of the Wizard of OZ that gave me a WOW factor I haven't had since the restoration of How The West Was Won (SmileBox). Not to mention the soundtrack. It just goes to show you that in the hands of wonderfully talented people who also share a deep love for the film they're working on, the results will always be fabulous. This was expensive as hell and I'll bet they don't recover the costs...it was a labor of love, and as usual, Warner's and their people lead the pack!!!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Kinzoel,

I think the right studio put a lot of love into the project.

There was a lot of controversy regarding converting this
classic to 3D, but in the end nobody was hurt and we got
a really tasteful presentation.

Thanks for your comments.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Just picked this up and I whole heartedly agree with you Ron.

This was a revelation and a blast to watch in 3D!! The 3D adds to the dreamlike quality of the story and enhances it's production design.

Thanks for your review and bringing this to my attention.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, Lou, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the 3D presentation as much as I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks