What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray 3D)(Blu-ray)(DVD) (1 Viewer)

What version of Oz are you (or not) purchasing?

• Total voters

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
RolandL said:
Here is the link for the box set for $19.96.
Received an email from WM that it has shipped and I should have it by 10/3. They changed the picture from the box set to the standard version.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Radioman970 said:
@ Roland. still says "not avail". :(
Yes, it was only available one day with the picture of the boxset. I printed it so, I'll see if they send me the one disc version or box set on 10/3.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Amazon was kind enough to deliver my box set today.One thing I noticed right aaway is the 3D version is pg13 and the regular is still G.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
I noticed that the 3D Bluray is going to be $19.96 at Walmart since they always seem to put the price tags up the day before. What's interesting is that the UPC number is not the same as the regular 3D Blu-ray. Could this be another exclusive? We'll find out tomorrow.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
I mean...I am about to state the obvious...but...
Something is wrong here.

A large Collector's Box, normally reserved for the box-of-junk contents
on sale at Walmart for $19.95.

You mean to tell me that there will only be discs inside that huge package?

There has got to be some mistake unless I am missing something.
They changed the picture on the link to the standard 3D 2-disc version and that is what they sent me. I printed the page when they had the box in it so, maybe tonight I'll show it to them and see if they give me the box set.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Goodluck with that. Walmart wont match their own web site and I doubt they even have that set in store

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I too ordered when the pic was the big box o' junk. I received the normal edition, it's what I expected. I'm satisfied and I have no complaint.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
So let me get this straight,
Warner has *not* fixed the altered dialogue on the 2D release of the film.
Warner has *not* provided a lossless (corrected) mono track on any edition currently available.
Warner has only fixed the dialogue on the 3D's 5.1 track.

Is all this info correct?

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
The dialogue has NOT been fixed on any of the new versions, 2D or 3D.
The digital glitch has been fixed on the 3D version only.
Ned Price promised that the altered track would not be used after the 1998 theatrical re-release, but that's not the case.
Scratches are apparent on the 2D release, but have been cleaned up on the 3D release.
Credits are still windowboxed.
And personally, I feel that the wires should have been left alone. We've been seeing them for decades now, and no one complained.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
moviebuff75 said:
The dialogue has NOT been fixed on any of the new versions, 2D or 3D.
The digital glitch has been fixed on the 3D version only.
Ned Price promised that the altered track would not be used after the 1998 theatrical re-release, but that's not the case.
Scratches are apparent on the 2D release, but have been cleaned up on the 3D release.
Credits are still windowboxed.
And personally, I feel that the wires should have been left alone. We've been seeing them for decades now, and no one complained.
So I guess that the original dialogue is at risk of becoming lost then. I don't see Warner revisiting Oz on 1080p blu. They'll probably wait until 4k. I mean, what could be next for 1080p? A third UCE? I hope not, unless the audio gets corrected.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Lromero1396 said:
So I guess that the original dialogue is at risk of becoming lost then. I don't see Warner revisiting Oz on 1080p blu. They'll probably wait until 4k. I mean, what could be next for 1080p? A third UCE? I hope not, unless the audio gets corrected.
I agree completely with you. So much for the "movie purists have nothing to fear with 3D revisionism since the original film is protected." Yeah it's protected, just with modern mistakes that aren't deemed worthy of fixing due to budget.... :S

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Yes, that is why I have been so vocal about this. I have written them, others have written them...no response. Here is the link to Price's interview in 1998:
http://www.seneschal.net/annex/wizardofoz.html

I can't believe this has happened to this particular movie. It's almost unthinkable. But it has. These mistakes would have been very easy to correct.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
Maybe they'll release a "Whoops - We Called Last Year's Version the '75th Anniversary' Set But It Was the 74th Anniversary so Here's an Actual 75th Anniversary Box!" next year...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found myself with some time this afternoon after I finished my review project, and I popped in The Wizard of Oz 3D to watch. Loved every second of this converted 3D film. I almost jumped when the Witch poked her finger out at me and said she would get me. And like others, even though I watched this film probably 50 to 100 times in my life, I still saw things I had never noticed before like buttons on a sleeve or the number of exotic birds all around in the apple tree sequence. And the amount of depth they have given those painted backdrops placing them in several differing distant planes was amazing.

When I go back down, I'll watch the new documentary that has been added for the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks