What's new

The Triplets of Belleville (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Saw mentions of this animated film elsewhere, but it deserves a thread.
Viewed this film in San Antonio tonight, it's also playing in Austin, so it's probably playing at many locations in the more sophisticated industrialized areas as well. ;)
I'd heard nothing but promising comments about Triplets, and I was not in the least disapointed. Very witty and with a great soundtrack, the movie is also visually captivating.
There are numerous referances to popular 1930s and 40s performers; Django Reinhardt, Josephine Baker, Fred Astaire and Margaret Rutherford to name some that I spotted.
For several reasons I was reminded of The City Of Lost Children as I watched this tale unfold.
I've made the rounds to just about all the Oscar nominees this year...if you have any interest in animation, check this out.

Peter Evans

Auditioning
I loved the movie as well. I've seen mention of this film being "weird" or "odd;" I just felt it was creative. It's not a Disney clone, it's a fresh animation style that feels more lively to me than much of what's out there today. I don't own a lot of animation, but I'll definitely be checking to pick this one up on DVD when it becomes available.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Since the song is nominated for an Academy Award (yay!) I'm so curious as to how they're going to present it. I've heard details of all the other nominees (for instance, Alison Krauss is going to perform both songs from Cold Mountain) but I haven't heard a word about Triplets. It should be so much fun! I love that song, and this movie. I've seen it twice now and want to see it again. The song keeps playing in my head. Just fantastic.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
In the Official Press Kit, there are short but nice interviews with a lot of different people involved in the film, including director Sylvain Chomet.

When asked about the Triplet's singing voices, composer Benoit Charest gives the names of the singers.

I hope they'll be the ones performing.

JonathanG

Stunt Coordinator
and it's such an infectious hand clapping song.. can't see what they do for the Academy Awards

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I walked out of this halfway through. I think the frog stew sequence did me in (I don't much care for frogs).

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Allow me to repeat and add to the comments I posted in the 2003 film thread:

For the most part, the film is a visual feast but I was so underwhelmed by its story. In my experience, animated films that don't have a story at its heart, succeeds far better as a film short.

Also, having seen the live performances of Tap Dogs and Stomp, the creation of music and sound from various kitchen appliances and bicycle parts just did not have that feel of originality or freshness anymore to it.

As far as foreign based animated films in the past two years, I would rate this behind Spirited Away, Metropolis (2002) and Millenium Actress.

~Edwin

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

So many thoughts flying by...:frowning:

Anyway, Patrick was strongly affected by the comically drawn froggies.

Doesn't that make the rest of us want to see that scene again?
Maybe I could use a frame of that for my signature. :D

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I saw this the other day. I had no idea what it was about, all I had heard was that it was French, it was excellent, and it was weird. I can say true on all 3 counts.
True the story was not very deep, but the ride we are taken on was spectacular. the designs were good, music was fun. And weird may not be the right word, but there definitely was something off about the movie.
I read somewhere that it won Best Picture in France.

Anyway it is excellent, but does rank behind the 3 previously mentioned foreign animated films, although I think it is close to overtaking Millenium Actress...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Except that it seems to be Canadian, from the credits.

I just saw it tonight and quite enjoyed it. It is definitly its own creature. It deserves its nomination based on its uniqueness.

Jason

Arman

Screenwriter
I love it. The Triplets of Belleville is an extraordinarily inventive, imaginative and amazing film. It is my #6 best film of 2003 and 3rd greatest animation of all-time (little bit behind #1 Grave of the Fireflies & #2 Spirited Away and little bit/way ahead of my other animation greats, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Finding Nemo, Akira, The Iron Giant, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, Millenium Actress, Toy Story 2).

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Just read the official press kit that was linked above. It was noted there that Sylvian Chomet's "insipiration" for the music was when he saw Stomp in Montreal.

I am not surprised. I knew it was a retread of that show.

~Edwin

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
So, to sum up....icky frog sequence, Stomp knockoff, it's French...save your money. :frowning:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've seen it twice and loved it both times, and I want to see it again.

Very funny Frog sequence, Stomp homage, it's largely Canadian, it's fun and funny and wonderful. What's not to love? Highly recommended for those with a bent sense of humor.

It's French?? Is that supposed to make a difference as to whether or not someone should see it?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Uh, I started the thread so I reserve the right to be sarcastic in Post #13. ;)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I finally saw this today. It truly is an inventive & visually spectacular film. But I have to agree with Edwin, it seems a little hollow. It gets a 9/10 from me, but it's a triumph of (admittedly glorious) style over substance.

I do think Triplets is worthy of its Oscar nominations, but it's no threat to Finding Nemo, which is just as inventive & beautiful, but also has a heart. Nemo is by far the more complete film and deserves the Oscar.

If you live in a city with a Landmark theater showing Triplets, go see it there, as they are playing it in an exclusive double-bill with Destino, the recently completed Disney/Dali short. This one is quite a trip!! It's a perfect "appetizer" for Triplets.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this tonight and enjoyed it. There's a bit at the very end of the credits, an extra little surprise. I'll go ahead and spoiler-ize it in case anyone doesn't want to know before seeing it for the 1st (or not 1st) time:

There's a shot of the guy who rented the paddleboat to the grandma and the dog, that they used to follow the ocean liner to Belleville. He's still standing on the shore, checking his watch, waiting for them to come back with the paddle boat!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful movie, incredible imagnation - and a triumph of hand-drawn character animation. It has a sharp edge to it - in retrospect, it actually is a mean little film, isn't it? - but the cultural criticism is balanced by so many wonderfully constructed moments (the dreams of the dog, for instance), that I am loathe to find much negative to say about it. It is almost infinitely creative - shot after shot after shot seems to spring from a well of human imagination. True, the third act of the story lacks the narrative promise of the first two, but when the first two acts are so joyously inventive, one feels like The Grinch himself in carping.

I'm rather torn at the moment...Finding Nemo was the best-written animated film of the year, and the best-directed. The animation in the film is beyond peer in the realm of CGI. But within the realm of hand-drawn animation, The Triplets of Belleville makes Brother Bear and Home on the Range look like Olsen Twin movies.

Disney executives - here is wisdom...until you can capture and sustain the adult marketplace again, as you did from the period of Roger Rabbit (1988) - The Lion King (1994)...until the day comes when a film as thrillingly visual and imaginative as Belleville can even be *imagined* as coming from the Mouse House -- you will be destined to find yourself *embarassed* year after year after year after year at the Academy Awards. CGI or hand-drawn animation isn't the problem. It's the damned incestual intrusion into the creative process at Disney Feature Animation that stifles your creativity and puts a boot heel on innovation. Shrek, Spirited Away, and Triplets of Belleville should be a wake-up call for the Mouse House. If your only response is Chicken Little and Eisner's Gnomeo and Juliet, well, get used to third place. It's a sad day when you realize you're watching Disney animation fall victim to its corporate chokehold, and become an also-ran in the world of animation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks