What's new

Major Gaps In Animated Features On Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My first choice: ALLEGRO NON TROPPO, a mostly hilarious but sometimes intensely moving Italian animated anthology that serves as an affectionate but also quite subversive alternative to Disney's FANTASIA. The live-action interstitials are weak and goofy, but the animation and music are glorious.

Others (please add):

AN AMERICAN TAIL: FIEVEL GOES WEST
PRINCE OF EGYPT
THE PLAGUE DOGS
ANTZ (Can't believe this wasn't out years ago!)
FLUSHED AWAY
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE
HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN (aka MR. BUG GOES TO TOWN) - apparently coming soon!
ANIMAL FARM (available only in Europe).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure was originally released by Fox, but rights reverted to CBS at some point. It was released on VHS and laserdisc, but there's no DVD release worldwide. It's a pity since it was shot in Panavision and even the laserdisc was pan & scan. A scan from a collector's print was uploaded on YouTube in the original 2.35:1.

Would be a nice title for Kino to release if it's among the films they licensed from CBS. Though, all so far have been Cinema Center Films titles.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Alakazam the Great (1960 Toei; AIP's dubbed U.S. version is with MGM) -it got a VHS and LaserDisc release in the U.S., plus streaming, though no R1 DVD.

The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon (1963, Toei; Columbia's dubbed U.S. version likely still with Sony)

Jack and the Witch (1967 Toei, AIP's dubbed U.S. version probably still with MGM)

Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure of All (1979 Filmation; likely with Classic Media/Universal)

The Snow Queen (1959, Mosfilm; dubbed U.S. version possibly still with Universal)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Balto
Gandahar
TIme Masters
The Brave Little Toaster
Starchaser: Legend of Orin
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Balto
Gandahar
TIme Masters
The Brave Little Toaster
Yeah, BALTO. Really good film owned by Universal. BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER is Disney's.

And, how could I have forgotten...TITAN AE, the last (I believe) animated feature from Don Bluth not to be released on Blu.
Balto
Gandahar
TIme Masters
The Brave Little Toaster

Yes, BALTO -- excellent film owned by Universal, only released so far as a full-screen DVD. BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER is also quite good, now (I believe) owned by Disney.

And...how could I have forgotten...TITAN A.E. directed by Don Bluth -- a 20th Century-Fox production.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The Man Called Flintstone

10261200_1.jpg

DVD released by Warners

Gay Pur-ee
gay-purr-ee-movie-poster-1962-1020374122.jpg

The Phantom Tollbooth
1105480-b.jpg

& SoTS

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Man Called Flintstone

10261200_1.jpg

DVD released by Warners

Gay Pur-ee
gay-purr-ee-movie-poster-1962-1020374122.jpg

The Phantom Tollbooth
1105480-b.jpg

& SoTS
GAY PURR-EE has had an HD master prepared, but so far is not commercially available anywhere that I know of. FLINTSTONE does feature most of the original TV series cast and is owned by Sony, but again, not released on Blu anywhere at this time and no HD master that I know of. THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH has some terrific animated passages and would make a great Blu-ray, but Warner Archives so far doesn't seem interested in "family" or children's titles. And, of course, SoTS, not really an animated feature save for roughly 20 minutes, will remain landlocked, at least as long as Iger is calling the shots.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just rewatched The Brave Little Toaster, and as well as the film holds up, the DVD could do with an upgrade as it looks like the same transfer from VHS and Laserdisc. Unfortunately, at the moment it has no HD master that I'm aware of, and isn't even on streaming/iTunes/Amazon Video/Vudu (the sequels are) in any format. Disney has always had a weird relationship with this film. They had the chance to make it, but when Tom Wilhite left the studio in 1982 he took the rights to it with him—they balked at the $18 million budget as they'd likely tied up even more than that into The Black Cauldron by then—when he founded his own studio. Eisner was firmly in charge once it was done, and El Ratón threw their weight around to axe the theatrical release* so as a result most people, myself included, saw it on The Disney Channel first (it never even played the Triangle area of NC theatrically that I'm aware of). And when they finally released it to video, the cover art downplayed the darker elements of the film and its existentialist perspective of a consumerist society from the point of view of the things it actually consumes and throws out at its own convenience. You can also see its influence on Pixar's subsequent output, especially Toy Story and Cars.

Song of the South isn't the only 1940s Disney film waiting for a Blu-ray**; The Three Caballeros is still waiting for one, though I imagine the wait will be a little bit shorter, as will the wait for the eventual disc of So Dear to My Heart which already has an HD master***. And of course the package films; who knows when they'll be out and in what form, as they, too, have been the targets of New Disney's cut-and-hide mentality.

*Outside of the reissues of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella, and The Aristocats, the biggest animated release of 1987 was The Chipmunk Adventure, which came in 100th place at the box office and has a very nice Blu-ray, begging the question of why there isn't more 1960s/1980s Alvin available.
**Though its Ralph Bakshi parody, Coonskin, is on a region-free BD in English from Germany, one of the countries that got the real deal on VHS but due to the laws there never got Bedknobs and Broomsticks in anything close to uncut.
***And the US was practically the last country to get it on DVD, as it was supposed to be a Gold Collection disc along with the other pre-Roger Rabbit hybrids, but then they kept pushing it back until Disney Movie Club finally released it and some modest extras, including a TV introduction from Walt.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
GAY PURR-EE has had an HD master prepared, but so far is not commercially available anywhere that I know of. FLINTSTONE does feature most of the original TV series cast and is owned by Sony, but again, not released on Blu anywhere at this time and no HD master that I know of. THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH has some terrific animated passages and would make a great Blu-ray, but Warner Archives so far doesn't seem interested in "family" or children's titles. And, of course, SoTS, not really an animated feature save for roughly 20 minutes, will remain landlocked, at least as long as Iger is calling the shots.
Warner currently has distribution rights for The Man Called Flintstone and there is an HD master available for digital download for it as well as for Gay Purr-ee.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Since we're including live-action/animated combos, how bout a Blu for The Incredible Mr. Limpet ...

db307b0c9379d99e76698ac6f75fe740.jpg

Wonder if the crab character in TIML was any inspiration for the Sebastian character in Disney's The Little Mermaid?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Song of the South isn't the only 1940s Disney film waiting for a Blu-ray**; The Three Caballeros is still waiting for one, though I imagine the wait will be a little bit shorter, as will the wait for the eventual disc of So Dear to My Heart which already has an HD master***. And of course the package films; who knows when they'll be out and in what form, as they, too, have been the targets of New Disney's cut-and-hide mentality..
THE THREE CABELLEROS has an existing HD master, as has SALUDOS AMIGOS. SONG OF THE SOUTH has no such (official) upgrade. THE BLACK CAULDRON, on the other hand, has a quite beautiful HD master, but remains unreleased to Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks