What's new

The Transformers: The Movie (1986) 20th Anniversary DVD (1 Viewer)

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
I think its implying that this new fullscreen version is a proper 4x3 extraction from the OAR, instead of merely an open-matte version as the previous releases were. This is consistent seeing as this new edition is made from a newly discovered print of the original theatrical version, so the open-matte version seen before was never even touched. Therefore the "fullscreen" version presented in this version is an actual proper fullscreen version instead of merely being derived by removing the mattes.

RATLSNAKE

Agent
I agree with others here. Over the years it has been said like most animated films made from TV Shows at that time, they were animated in 4:3. and then cropped for cinema release.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Anyone picking this up from Best Buy? I'm curious to know how much it's going for there. Their website says $16.99 but also says on sale, so I'm guessing it'll be lower.

Also, is Spike's curse still in this version?

dan fritzen

Second Unit

Circuit City has this DVD for $12.99. It has been rare in the last 12 months that BB has the lowest price on any new releases. They have that ability now that they are the market leader.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

If you click through one or two more screens, the price is $16.99. I believe this is the sale price, but I can't confirm until I pick it up tonight and see the tag on the box.

Patrick.C

Second Unit

But they still have their price match policy. Not worth going out of your way to get to BB anymore since they ruined the reward zone program, but if you happen to have one close you could always bring the CC flyer with you.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I live right across the street from BB (literally) and about 8 miles away from a CC. With Los Angeles traffic and gas, well it's worth the extra $4 (sob!) to save about an hour or more of my life behind the wheel yelling at gridlock. :D

I'm gonna be PO'd if my local BB doesn't have it, though.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I picked up mine today at BB for $16.99 on sale from $17.99.

I'm tearing into this as we speak, i've got both the commentary by Nelson Shin and co. and the Autobot Matrix of Leadership trivia track going at the same time. :emoji_thumbsup:

This is the set i've been waiting 20 years for plus, and say it with me fellas...watching the film in it's OAR for the first time ever!! :cool:

Jose Robles

Agent
I grabbed this set today (yaaaaaay!) and this is the first DVD of the movie that I have owned. I previously only had the VHS copy and a downloaded version.

I haven't gone through any of the extras but I did compare the widescreen, fullscreen and downloaded copies. To my surprise, the widescreen version seemed a little off to me. Everything looked a little too big and up close almost as if I was watching a zoomed version.

So I decided to compare it to my downloaded version and low and behold the fullscreen had more information on the screen! I compared a few scenes and it was the same. At the 15:13 mark Megatron tells Soundwave to jam that transmission. Freezing the frames on the widescreen and the downloaded copy shows that the widescreen is missing the entire lower half of Soundwave (his buttons are missing) and Megatron's hand seems cutoff.

I then decided to check the fullscreen version in this set as I read above that it shows a bit more information than the Rhino version. Freezing it at the same section one can see that there is actually a little bit more information in the new fullscreen version. You can see Soundwave's "crotch" a little more as well as Megatron's hip.

So with regards to the widescreen version, how was it created? Did they take this new fullscreen version and just cropped the top and bottom?

Jose

Brandon_S

Second Unit
My biggest gripe with the new transfer are the colors. If you look at the comparison shots on the DVD, it appears they cooked the brightness and this lead to colors looking more washed out. The Rhino release was darker, but to me the colors looked better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks