What's new

The Transformers: The Movie (1986) 20th Anniversary DVD (1 Viewer)

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
In regards to the framing, I just saw a 35mm print of this movie a few weeks ago. The Rhino DVD is definitely opened up a bit, but some shots are clearly cropped on the sides as well. One thing that I did notice on the 35mm print, which was shown in 1.85, was that there were numerous times where the tops of people's heads were cut off, almost to their eyes. I suppose this could have been projectionist error, but it wouldn't surprise me if the movie had been composed with TV viewing just as much in mind as the theatrical release.

Greg K

Second Unit
Just received a newsletter from the DVD website:

"Thank you for signing up to receive updates for the 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD of Transformers: The Movie.

We are currently looking for “fun facts” about the movie to be included on our DVD and want your help!

If you would like to submit a factoid for consideration, visit http://www.transformersthemoviedvd.com for more information and guidelines.

More updates to come soon!

Thanks,
http://www.transformersthemoviedvd.com"

My guess is that the winning submissions will be used in a pop-up trivia subtitle track.

Greg K

Second Unit
The DVD site is now posting one "puzzle piece" a day from the TFTM SE DVD's cover artwork. The whole picture will be revealed on July 21.

To see the bits and pieces of cover art currently up, go to www.transformersthemoviedvd.com and click on "Art Sneak Peek".

Here's the full story:

SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT OFFERS SNEAK PEEK AT NEWLY-COMMISSIONED TRANSFORMING ARTWORK FOR TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION DVD COVER

Image to be Revealed Piece-By-Piece On Website Beginning July 7th

SONY BMG To Discuss Special Edition DVD At Comic-Con July 20th

New York, New York, July 7, 2006 — The home entertainment group of SONY BMG Music Entertainment today announced that beginning July 7th, fans who log on to www.TRANSFORMERSthemovieDVD.com will be able to catch a sneak peek of the limited edition, “transforming” artwork for the upcoming TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD. The DVD is due to hit retail November 7, 2006.

TRANSFORMERS fans are in for a treat as this never-before-seen, specially-commissioned, TRANSFORMERS artwork will begin to appear before their very eyes on the official Web site of the DVD. After the initial piece to the puzzle is revealed online, more pieces from this one-of-a-kind art will be periodically placed on the site, leading up to the unveiling of the first full image from the transforming art at Comic-Con International 2006 on Thursday, July 20th. SONY BMG will also reveal other special features from the DVD at Comic-Con.

TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD features the voice of Orson Welles in his final role, as well as stars Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Casey Kasem, Robert Stack, John Moschitta, Peter Cullen, and Frank Welker. The DVD also features a winning soundtrack featuring the iconic theme "The TRANSFORMERS" performed by Lion, and the popular "The Touch," performed by Stan Bush.

For more information on TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD log onto www.TRANSFORMERStheMovieDVD.com

G4 will be airing footage live from Comic-Con on July 21, so they may show announcments about the DVD!

Greg K

Second Unit
From http://www.usatoday.com/life/2006-07...ractions_x.htm

DVD: 'Transformers'-mania poised to unfold?

Interest in Transformers is about to be, well, transformed into full-fledged mania.

A new DVD, The Transformers: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition (Sony, due Nov.7), not only celebrates the original 1986 animated film based on the Hasbro toy line, but also gives a sneak look at the Michael Bay-directed Transformers film due next summer (trailer at transformersmovie.com). Executive producer Steven Spielberg also will appear on the DVD.

"They are doing something huge, and certainly we are here to help," says Jim Wilson of Sony BMG Home Entertainment.

The DVD will have remastered full-screen and widescreen editions of the film, which includes Orson Welles' final performance. Extras include commentary, deleted footage and interviews. And there's a viewing mode in which Transformer pop culture references pop up throughout. Plus: Hasbro has an action figure line due in November.

—Mike Snider

I do hope this DVD won't be just a quickie release designed to promote the upcoming live-action film.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
What's different about this one compared to the earlier release? Other than the bonus features? And let's be honest, I loved this movie as a kid, but parts of it haven't aged well at all, namely the cheesy songs and characters like wheelie and blur.

Greg K

Second Unit
There have been allegations that the Rhino DVD used a film master that had some alternate and incpmlete animation (not unlike their shoddy DVD sets for the tv series). Perhaps this new DVD will use a surviving theatrical print as the basis for the transfer?

And I'm glad there'll be both full and widescreen versions. With the fullscreen, you get to see more picture info on the top and bottom, but the widescreen preserves the original theatrical aspect ratio.

Having fiddled around with the zoom fuction on my tv, it's very clear that the film was animated with a "matted widescreen" aspect ratio in mind. Nothing important happens on the top or bottom of the screen, and when blown up to fill the full area of a widescreen tv like mine, the composition of the images is much nicer and more cinematic (even if you see less of the picture in a widescreen version).

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Whatever source they used, I've never seen TF: The Movie look better than on the Rhino DVD. If that sort of quality can be maintained for an accurately-framed anamorphic widescreen version then I'll be a very happy bunny.

Greg K

Second Unit
Not quite related to the DVD, but still very cool news for fans of the movie and of comic books:

TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED MOVIE ADAPTATION #1
Bob Budiansky (w), Don Figueroa (a & c)
20th Anniversary Celebration! Before the release of the all-new, live-action Transformers movie next summer, take an extended look back at a classic — the animated 1986 Transformers: The Movie. Joining present-day TF legend, artist Don Figueroa, is returning writer and fellow TF master Bob Budiansky, the man responsible for some of the most beloved ’80s Transformers comics. Together, they present this four-part adaptation, adding in extra scenes and little touches for fans of all ages.
FC, 32pgs $3.99

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

I had never seen it before, either. A co-worker just sent me that link and I figured I'd share the wealth. That webiste is awesome. It's the single greatest notalgia trip I've ever been on!

Greg K

Second Unit
Here's hoping that the music video(s), promo reel, trailers, script, etc. will be included on the SE DVD.

Apparently, there will be news regarding the TFTM DVD, the TFTM comic mentioned above, and the live-action film at Comic-Con this weekend. We'll see what's announced very soon.

Brandon_S

Second Unit

My mom taped Transformers: The Movie off of Fox for me when I was a kid. They actually showed this music video at the end to fill in the two-hour time block. Nice trip down memory lane!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah that video's nice and all, but what I really need (and what needs to be on the new DVD) is:

The Dirk Diggler version of The Touch

Eric Meske

Stunt Coordinator
I still have the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack on vinyl somewhere. That got a lot of play when I was a kid. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks