What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

MarkW2

Agent
Real Name
Mark White
I've been reading these threads every day for more exciting news. I've waiting for years for these blu-rays. Does anyone know if these blu-ray discs will be the same transfers currently available on VUDU, or are these specifically for blu-ray?
I also read about a theatrical re-release of Oklahoma! Is that just referring to the film festival on April 10th, or are we getting a wide release?
I've always wanted to see Oklahoma! on the big screen. I would love to see a company like Cinemark show any of these films. I think they would be very popular.
Can anyone shed some light for me? Thanks so much!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
I've said it before in another thread. But since this is the official one, I'll say it here too. I already have the Target disc-only edition of Sound of Music, and the blu of South Pacific (not to mention the last DVD set of all the movies). I will wait for the single blus to be released because I only really want The King and I and Oklahoma! Maybe Carousel, but the movie really botched the stage version.
Steve Tannehill said:
With that price, I am tempted...
Steve: If I can succumb, so can you! :biggrin:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mike Frezon said:
Steve: If I can succumb, so can you! :biggrin:
When it was $140, it was out of the question. I suspect it was not selling so well, hence the radical drop in price!

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Steve Tannehill said:
When it was $140, it was out of the question. I suspect it was not selling so well, hence the radical drop in price!
A little surprised it has dropped so soon. Just seems like a few days ago that there was even official confirmation as to what would be included with this set. Not a big fan of musicals so I'll take a wait and see and will pick this up (or the individuals) at a price point I am comfortable with.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Steve T says "When it was $140, it was out of the question. I suspect it was not selling so well, hence the radical drop in price!"
I'm sure the sudden price drop prompted a lot of people here to jump in.
But if there was an initial lack of interest, that could also be attributed to Amazon's faulty search engine, which started locating this item only after the price drop! For the first few days you could find the collection only through the special URLs first provided by Giovani and then by Ron.
I hope interest in the wider community is growing. We need this one to succeed if the studios are going to give us more classic collections like this....

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I also took the plunge when I saw the price drop. The only one in the bunch that I currently own is Sound of Music, so I'm looking forward to having the other films. I really hope they do a nice job on the transfers.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The fact that this set appears to dump the earlier "Sound of Music"'s second disc means that people would be well-advised to hang onto their old copies too.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Yep--I just ordered, too--thru the HTF link. This deal would be so much sweeter if Amazon hadn't started collecting Indiana sales tax this year.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Will Krupp said:
Well, damnit! I couldn't resist it either...

(sigh) oh well, eating is overrated anyway :(
moviebuff75 said:
Same here. I caved.
Well crap. Fine. I've now pre-ordered it too. $18 a piece for the four I don't have is a bit more than I'm comfortable paying, but I've had a craving for Oklahoma! and The King and I in HD for a long, long time. I guess I have a month to change my mind if I get buyer's remorse.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I'm surprised there hasn't been any official announcement for this box set. I'm curious if the extras will be ported over from the DVD collection, especially upon seeing only one disc for the Sound of Music in that photo. I'm wondering about the packaging too, if these are going to be housed in a nice digibook with liner notes, or in some cheap pockets like the Marilyn Monroe set. Looking at those images the whole thing looks rather generic. No disc art or anything Hmm...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
When I wrote to Universal about Flower Drum Song and some other Universal musicals I wanted to see on Blu-ray, here is the response I got:Thank you for contacting us.Many factors influence the timing and content of our releases, and no plans have been announced for the Blu-ray release of "Flower Drum Song" or the other titles you listed. Unfortunately, no further information is available at this time.For a listing of upcoming releases, please check our website periodically at: http://universalstudiosentertainment.com. You might also wish to subscribe to our online newsletter for product announcements at http://signup.universalstudios.com/form/39. We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to enjoy Universal products.Sincerely,Consumer RelationsUNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks