What's new

The Official DVD Discoveries Thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Got the disc 2 days ago, and have checked out a few parts. I'm glad to know the correct pronounciation of "DeLauzirika", but he and his buddy should have their mouths washed out with soap!!! :D

Overall, it's a fun disc so far. More comments once I've watched more of it.

GaryEA

Second Unit
I don't want to sound impatient, but I have yet to get my disc, and my concern is growing.

The reason I mention this is because, like Jesse above, I received an email on 1/14, stating that my disc had shipped.
Taking the MLK holiday into account, that's still seven working days.

Could someone confirm which method was used to ship the discs? I'm just finding it curious that customers from various points of the country, not to mention international customers, have received theirs already (last week by some accounts).

Very much looking forward to the disc. Thanks.

-g

Paul Russell

Agent
Hi gang,

I know many of you are still waiting on your orders to arrive and I'm confused and frustrated. The orders were all sent out on the same day in one big batch, delivered to the USPS distribution center in South San Francisco. There's no logical explanation why this is taking so long. I'm having our fulfillment house look into this. No matter what, we will get this resolved...quickly!

If you have not received your disc by tomorrow (01/24), please send me an email with your order number to [email protected].

Best regards,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed
[email protected]

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If I may add...

Putting a segment on Robert Harris and restoration was mentioned...

Why not also do a featurette on Lowry Digital Images? They're quickly becoming popularized (especially since they're doing restorations for film now...which is 1000x better than video restoration) and could be a sought-after segment.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I ordered 2 copies. The e-mail I received on the 14th said shipped "using First Class Mail". 10 days later, still no DVD's here in Connecticut.

Sent them an e-mail. Received reply from Paul Russell to contact them again if not received by Monday.

I guess there must be curse on the project, what with all the delays and everything. Hopefully, it will have a happy ending.

Reed :)

Robley

Grip
I also ordered early, recieved e-mail on 1/14 saying
ordered was shipped....still no dvd
sure hope it's worth all this...:frowning:

Hang in there. I live less than an hour away from the distribution center, got the email at the same time everyone else did, and yet still didn't receive my copy until today's mail.

On the plus side, the DVD definitely looks like a winner! Well worth the wait!

Aaron

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
Still nothing in today's mail for me. I sent Paul an email but as of today, haven't received a reply. Waiting patiently...

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator
Finally got mine today! Haven't checked it out yet, but I'm just relieved it came, I was getting a little worried.

Everyone else just hang in there, it's coming! :)

My thoughts:

Disc Production:

CAV- cool stuff. I never knew it was so complicated. And look how the workers handle those discs, for shame!;)

Cyberlink- not very useful to me; seemed more like a plug for their company.

Content Production:

1K studios/Sparkhill- mediocre. Doesn't make those employees look very good though, does it?;)

Automat- worst thing on here. Seemed like a wasted attempt at humor that didn't give me any real information. I turned it off at the weight-lifting.

David Prior/Charlie de Lauzirika- not bad, but could've been better. Funny how they freely admit the weakness of their contribution.;)

Jason Rosenfeld- pretty good, but also not much new in there that wasn't common knowledge.

Sharpline- second best thing on here. A very candid look at how this company came to be.

Van Ling- BEST thing on here by a mile. I loved Confessions of a DVD Producer, very well done, everything else pales in comparison! And the commentary over the menus was just as good.

Studio Segments:

Warner Publications- was this supposed to be an ad?:frowning:

THX- the Digital services was okay, not great. I'm glad to have the THX trailers at my disposal now, too bad more couldn't have been included. Maybe on a second edition.:)

Overall, not bad for a first try. I hope a second volume is made so you can provide even better insights. Was worth the price, especially to support such a great site as DVD Angle, which makes my favorite reviews!:D

danak

Second Unit
I live in Maryland and I got mine on Friday, though I haven't taken the time to watch it yet.

Dana

Paul Russell

Agent
Hey gang,

I'm starting to feel better now that more people are receiving their orders, but my concern is still on the rise for those who are still waiting.

To reiterate, from my previous post, if you still have not received your order please email me at [email protected].

To everyone who has received their DVD, comments please! We're all anxious to hear what you think of our little project...

Best regards,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed
[email protected]

danak

Second Unit
I watched my copy today and can report good news and bad news.

First, the really bad news. Two segments, 1 K Studios and Automat Productions, both broke up, with Automat completely freezing up my player (Panasonic RP56). I've already emailed the folks at DVD Discoveries so hopefully I'll hear back from them next week.

The good news is that, overall, it was very informative and not bad for under $10. I especially liked the Van Ling segments. The quick cuts to jokey things were especially good.

The things I didn't like:
The music used in the Sharpline Arts segment seemed unnecessary and was really annoying. The first time it was used, I expected the piece to cut to an Alien clip.
The Studio Segments looked more like ads, especially the Warner Publications piece.

Want to see for next disc:
Some of these have already been covered, but I would like to add my vote for the following:
- Restoration demonstration(s)
- How a studio decides to put out a title: ie, how they go about deciding to put out a bare bones edition versus a special edition and why they double dip; 1 disc vs 2 or a dual sided versus single
- Possibly a discussion of what experts in the industry think will come out next, or the trends in the industry, like HD-DVD and possibly beyond that; perhaps even a discussion of HD-DVD itself and why do people look so forward to it
- A segment with one or more producers who work on classic (ie older) titles and what they have to go through to find extra material, especially if the principals are dead
- Something from Criterion

Dana

Paul Russell

Agent
I've received a few reports from people who have just received their orders that they were sent via Media Mail and not First Class (like they were supposed to be). This would certainly explain why it is taking so long for the orders to arrive. I'm baffled as to why it's Media Mail -- the only thing I can think of is there was a mistake made at the USPS center. I do know all orders destined for Canada were sent out via Air Mail and all orders destined for the US (sent out after 01/14) were First Class (customer's have confirmed this). At least we have an explanation, not a good one, but one nonetheless. I'll be looking into this further tomorrow.

In response to Dana's post, I'm surprised there were compatibility issues with the Panasonic RP56. I personally tested the disc on both a Panasonic RV32 and RP82. So far, this is the first compatibility issue reported...and hopefully the last.

Lastly, someone asked about the THX segment a few days ago. Yes, it is the piece with Rick Dean and Van Ling from the discontinued demo disc.

Keep those comments coming...

Best regards,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed
[email protected]

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm still wondering at the availability of this, can I still order it? how long will I be able to order it?

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks