What's new

Replacements for defective (mothless) GHOST SHIP discs? (1 Viewer)

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Am creating a new thread for this, as its been several months since we heard that the GHOST SHIP/BEDLAM blu-ray has been corrected, so that the accidental removal/scrubbing of the moth from a key scene in the first movie has now been happily reinstated. Many of us who purchased the disc prior to the correction would like to have it replaced with a moth-inclusive disc. If there is a replacement program in progress, please let us know … or if we need to send in the disc for replacement, please advise the proper place and procedure for the exchange. THANK YOU!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Am creating a new thread for this, as its been several months since we heard that the GHOST SHIP/BEDLAM blu-ray has been corrected, so that the accidental removal/scrubbing of the moth from a key scene in the first movie has now been happily reinstated. Many of us who purchased the disc prior to the correction would like to have it replaced with a moth-inclusive disc. If there is a replacement program in progress, please let us know … or if we need to send in the disc for replacement, please advise the proper place and procedure for the exchange. THANK YOU!
have you contacted Kino?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
They would probably just tell him that it was a Warner Archives title. :)
Well, as a major distributor Kino can approach WAC and get updates and an email or contact @ WB to exchange the discs.
Kino has a very good customer service department, they do help. If it is an issue to you to have your "moth inclusive" edition, you can either search for a solution or just llive with it, right?
It's always the best course of action to go as direct to the source as possible.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, as a major distributor Kino can approach WAC and get updates and an email or contact @ WB to exchange the discs.
Kino has a very good customer service department, they do help. If it is an issue to you to have your "moth inclusive" edition, you can either search for a solution or just llive with it, right?
It's always the best course of action to go as direct to the source as possible.
Todd, what is your avatar smoking??? Why would Kino have anything at all to do with a WAC title?
Criterion has even a better customer service department, so maybe the OP should reach out and contact them to see if they can get WB to exchange the discs.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Todd, what is your avatar smoking??? Why would Kino have anything at all to do with a WAC title?
Criterion has even a better customer service department, so maybe the OP should reach out and contact them to see if they can get WB to exchange the discs.
LOL!!! Wherever Dr Lejos got the disc would be the first stop, I assumed it was from Kino...contacting them to get a contact email or connection to WB. they might know more about the situation, and at least be a start, right?
Or he can waste time trying to birddog a contact from Google?
I don't think Criterion has anythng to do with this perticular release Rod..

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
LOL!!! Wherever Dr Lejos got the disc would be the first stop, I assumed it was from Kino...contacting them to get a contact email or connection to WB. they might know more about the situation, and at least be a start, right?
Or he can waste time trying to birddog a contact from Google?
I don't think Criterion has anythng to do with this perticular release Rod..
Kino has never sold any Warner Archive titles, nor do they have connection to Warner.. It’s up to WAC to fix this problem.

Last edited:

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
My aim with this thread was in hopes someone out there had actually succeeded in getting a replacement, and could perhaps share their experience for getting it done … or that maybe a replacement program had actually been launched without my knowledge.

What I’ve heard thus far is that the disc was corrected and when the title was issued in U.K. over summer, that customers were getting a corrected disc. But I’m inclined to think it would be risky to order it from a U.S. vendor, since there’s no assurance that earlier stock has been replaced, so no guarantee whether it’ll be a moth or sans-moth disc!

Besides which, it doesn’t seem right for us to be purchasing the disc twice. And you’d think that WAC, which obviously takes great pride in its product (and actually went to the trouble to redo the disc!) would be anxious help customers who DO care about such matters.

I remember when I first saw the film via a 16mm print years ago, I was very impressed seeing that animated moth … a really nice touch … and another example of the creative detail which help make the Lewton series such a rich and rewarding group of films.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I purchased 3 copies of Ghost Ship/Bedlam, and I am really disappointed at Warner not stepping up to this in over a year. Long overdue.

I have witnessed many other companies step right up and make replacements for more minor errors than the one in Val Lewton’s “Ghost Ship”.

I want my moth back!

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Thanks for starting this thread!

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Ghost Ship/Bedlam Blu-ray at a good sale price right now, but I sure would like my discs replaced with a moth. Not going to buy twice.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
This response from someone who contacted WB was posted on blu-ray.com back in June:

"Hello. Sorry for the delay in responding to your message(s). We have corrected the problem on the BEDLAM/GHOST SHIP Blu-ray disc. We plan an initiative that will provide those who bought the initial disc with a proper replacement. As we try to put the logistics in place for this, we do not know when this will be program will be put into effect, but the wait should not be too much longer. Please feel free to check in with us about this in the near future. We appreciate your patience and support. Thanks!"

Also of note: the UK release has the moth restored.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter

The moth referenced in this scene appears to have been digitally removed as a possible flaw on the 2021 Warner Archive Blu-ray release of The Ghost Ship (1943). A corrected version with the moth rightfully restored was issued in 2023 in the UK, though the disc was authored in November 2021, just a few months after the August 2021 authoring date of the original flawed release.

I purchased the US Blu-ray new from Amazon in early 2023 and received the original version. There doesn’t yet appear to be any recall or replacement program set up for purchasers of the US release despite it having been authored well over two years ago. I finally bought the UK release in January 2024 to make this comparison.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

The moth referenced in this scene appears to have been digitally removed as a possible flaw on the 2021 Warner Archive Blu-ray release of The Ghost Ship (1943). A corrected version with the moth rightfully restored was issued in 2023 in the UK, though the disc was authored in November 2021, just a few months after the August 2021 authoring date of the original flawed release.

I purchased the US Blu-ray new from Amazon in early 2023 and received the original version. There doesn’t yet appear to be any recall or replacement program set up for purchasers of the US release despite it having been authored well over two years ago. I finally bought the UK release in January 2024 to make this comparison.

Thank you for providing this video.

I have never seen this film. I have been reading, for months, the complaints regarding the moth removal and been thinking to myself, "what is the big deal about all of this?"

Well, that video comparison puts everything into proper perspective. It's a pretty big deal.

It's astonishing that Warner would have removed the moth from the transfer. During the dirt removal process, did they look at the moth as some kind of annoying artifact that had to be cleaned up without referencing the dialogue?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
They STILL havent done a replacement program !
And the corrected disc was authored in Nov 2021, a few months after the botched Aug 2021 one. I ordered the US disc new in Feb 2023 from Amazon and it was the original disc. Fall 2023 the UK got the corrected disc as an official release. Both are region free.

I mean, come on, y’all.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thank you for providing this video.

I have never seen this film. I have been reading, for months, the complaints regarding the moth removal and been thinking to myself, "what is the big deal about all of this?"

Well, that video comparison puts everything into proper perspective. It's a pretty big deal.

It's astonishing that Warner would have removed the moth from the transfer. During the dirt removal process, did they look at the moth as some kind of annoying artifact that had to be cleaned up without referencing the dialogue?
At first I thought it was not important, but as I read more about the frustration of the missing moth, I realized the importance of the moth and what It meant to the scene. I am now a proud owner of the UK version including the moth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks