What's new

The Official 2019 Oscars Nomination Announcements Discussions & Predictions Thread (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ok. Here are my predictions on who will win in all 24 categories.
Toughest year I can remember.

Best Picture: Roma
Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Best Actor: Rami Malek
Best Actress: Glenn Close
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali
Best Supporting Actress: Regina King
Best Documentary: Free Solo
Best Documentary Short: Period: End Of Sentence
Best Animated Film: Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse
Best Cinematography: Roma
Best Costume Design: The Favourite
Best Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Foreign Language Film: Roma
Best Makeup And Hairstyling: Vice
Best Original Song: Shallow
Best Musical Score: BlacKkKlansman
Best Production Design: The Favourite
Best Short Film Animated: Bao
Best Short Film Live Action: Skin
Best Sound Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Visual Effects: Avengers: Infinity War
Best Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman
Best Original Screenplay: Green Book

Tino: I think you might have won with 17?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yup, after all the plans to make the show shorter they cancel all those plans and still end up with one of the shortest broadcasts in recent history.
They did get rid of most of the stunts and fluff, thankfully. Had they cut back on some of the presenter banter, they could have saved a few more minutes.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm sorry, but this short ceremony was one of the least 'special' things I've ever seen. Almost boring.

I've always looked forward to the Oscars.

Now the people whose goal is to get it over as quickly as possible have ruined it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its only fitting. On their biggest dumpster fire in 30 years, the academy offers one of the worst slates of BP nominees in years and chooses...Green Book.

...at least it...wasn't...Bohemian Rhapsody???

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
But in response to the whole #OscarsSoWhite backlash from a few years ago, it really disappointed me to see the choice for Best Picture not go to Black Panther, a film that truly changed the way films were made this year due to its largely vast and diverse cast and crew. This film was in direct response for that #OscarsSoWhite blunder, why Black Panther didn't come out on top for me at least was super-disappointing. I'd actually like to know how close the vote tally was.

Edit: for grammar.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I got 18/24. Second to Mark Booth. Congrats Mark! Way to go. :thumbsup:

Very satisfied with the wins tonight. Especially for Olivia Coleman who deserved to win over Close and Gaga. Her performance in The Favourite was the best by far in that category.

Happy for Spike too. Great moment.

Not too surprised that Green Book won since it won the producers guild award and they are rarely wrong. At my party tonight I actually showed Green Book beforehand and all my guests loved it.

All in all a satisfying Oscar night however I must admit a good host would have made it more entertaining.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well I am really stupid. I thought Rami was gay.
His wife/Girlfriend is gorgeous

I don’t think it’s a surprise that he won.
Isn't Rami dating Lucy Boynton, who played Mary Austin in the film? As usual, I didn't watch the Oscars. I did record it so I might sift through it in the morning. I only made one prediction and that is "Green Book" would win Best Picture. The other major winners were not a surprise to me except Best Actress.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We are showing ‘A Star Is Born’ this weekend in the Booth Bijou. Later in March we will show ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, ‘Green Book’, and ‘Blackkklansman’. Might even show all three together for a triple feature night.

Mark

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't miss having a host at all. Their schtick was always the crap I fast forwarded through. The show flowed much more smoothly than most years.

I went 11 for 24 on my "will win" predictions and 7 for 16 on my "should win" choices.

BR wins again!!!!! I see Rami winning later, BTW!!!!
If you want to understand the fickleness of Hollywood, look at John Ottman's acceptance speech. With the exception of Urban Legends: Final Cut, Bryan Singer gave him every single feature film editing job he's had, including Bohemian Rhapsody. He wouldn't be standing on that stage if Singer hadn't championed his career.

Given the new attention paid to the longstanding allegations involving Singer and underage boys, and given the way that Singer flaked and walked off the production, I can understand why the sound guys and Rami Malek didn't thank Singer. But in Ottman's case, it was a glaring omission.

Spider-Man..come swing in and get your Oscar!!!!
This, along with the aforementioned Black Panther wins, made me the happiest of the night. One of my favorite films of the year, and a groundbreaking new style of animation. It's the kind of stylistic innovation that usually gets limited to the animated shorts category.

A bit surprising to see First Man get the Visual Effects award. Everyone said it was more a character study than adventure film, and the other nominees were mostly wall-to-wall FX.
This, alongside the Green Book wins, was the most inexcusable of the night. A classic case of Academy voters selecting their favorite film with visual effects, not the film with the best visual effects.

First Man's visual effects requirements could all be met by existing visual effects technologies. There's nothing in that movie that hadn't already been done effectively in something in previously. Their task was simply to apply the existing toolsets to the task at hand.

None of the nominated films had a visual effects achievement as incredible as Thanos, a CG character that was as photoreal and believable as the photographed human actors. Avengers: Infinity War got robbed.

Not surprisingly, Stanley Donen didn't get included in the Memoriam. :(
That was a disgrace. Star Wars producer Gary Kurtz also got omitted.

On the positive side, using John Williams's "Leaving Home" theme from Superman: The Movie as the accompaniment for this years In Memoriam sequence was a nice tip of the hat to Margot Kidder, one of the people we lost this past year.

Hail Streisand!!!!
It was a pretty bold choice to have Streisand introduce BlackKklansman instead of A Star is Born.

Well I am really stupid. I thought Rami was gay.
His wife/Girlfriend is gorgeous
She was his initial love interest in Bohemian Rhapsody as well.

Wait?! The Academy thinks Olivia Colman's performance in "The Favourite" was better than Glenn Close's or Lady Gaga's? What is going on??? Granted, her performance was amazing, but was it really that much better than the other two? I'm stunned!
I think this was a case where everybody was so sure that Glenn Close was going to win that they felt free to vote for somebody else. But Colman also had the advantage of a flashier, juicier role. I was rooting for Gaga, but I don't know that the Academy got it wrong.

And GREENBOOK gets it.
This is a disgraceful pick. For all of Hollywood's patting itself on the back for making strides toward diversity, its idea of a socially conscious movie about the black experience in America is a movie written and directed by white guys and told from the perspective of a white guy. It's Driving Miss Daisy all over again, but in 2019 the Academy had much better alternatives than in 1990.

I was rooting for A Star is Born, but BlackKklansman and Black Panther both had more interesting and original things to say than Green Book did.

They did get rid of most of the stunts and fluff, thankfully. Had they cut back on some of the presenter banter, they could have saved a few more minutes.
My only complaint was that I thought they were a bit too aggressive about cutting off speeches. Especially in cases where there were multiple winners, they often cut the mike before the second winner could even start talking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On Sunday, I watched the 4K/UHD discs of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Star is Born". Both discs were very impressive. I won't watch either film again for a while especially "A Star is Born" as this was my third viewing of it while only watching "Bohemian Rhapsody" twice.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I really enjoyed Green Book and have zero issues with it winning. Hell 7 of the 8 films I would have been happy with so its all good in my “book”. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As to Rami, as I watching "Bohemian Rhapsody" today, I kept thinking about him playing Snafu in "The Pacific". The same for Joseph Mazzello, who played John Deacon in the film and Eugene Sledge in "The Pacific".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Isn't Rami dating Lucy Boynton, who played Mary Austin in the film? As usual, I didn't watch the Oscars. I did record it so I might sift through it in the morning. I only made one prediction and that is "Green Book" would win Best Picture. The other major winners were not a surprise to me except Best Actress.

Yes that was her.
Before tonight I never saw her, before.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My introduction to Rami was the TV show The War At Home I think it was called.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks