What's new

2019 Golden Globe Movie Nominations. (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I did much better on the TV side than the movie side.

If Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book win Best Picture at the Oscars, I will vomit.
Both are front runners now. With Roma on its tail.

Star is fading.

Get that vomit bag ready.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Golden Globes hasn't been truly predictive of Academy Awards for some time.

I do not believe that the Academy is prepared to give serious awards recognition to a made-for-television film, which is what Roma essentially is. And while the Academy would not likely penalize Bohemian Rhapsody solely for being historically inaccurate, I expect them to pay about as much attention to it as they did The Greatest Showman.

I don't think Adam needs to get his barf bag ready just yet.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'll be pretty surprised if Bohemian Rhapsody gets a BP nomination.

I think the Globe nomination increases its profile for sure, so it has a better chance of getting a nomination than it did the day before yesterday. But I agree with you overall.

I do not believe that the Academy is prepared to give serious awards recognition to a made-for-television film, which is what Roma essentially is.

We've discussed this at length in another thread. Cuaron was asked about this by one of the trades after the Globes and he made the argument that (I'm paraphrasing here) if he had not gone for Netflix, how large of a theatrical release could Roma have gotten, given that it is a black-and-white non-English film with no stars? He appears to be satisfied with the theatrical release it has received.

I think Netflix isn't doing themselves any favors by refusing to release data about the release, such as its actual theater count and gross information, which if they did that would legitimize its theatrical run in a way that they currently arren't doing. I am also a big proponent of theatrical releases and don't see why Netflix couldn't have achieved the same results by giving it a theatrical window prior to its streaming release. However, I gotta admit he has a point, and I'm beginning to feel like the Netflix factor might not matter to the Academy, who after all get to see these films on screeners anyway. We'll see.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the Globe nomination increases its profile for sure, so it has a better chance of getting a nomination than it did the day before yesterday. But I agree with you overall.
You're probably right but I guess my own feelings about the movie (it's not bad but outside of Malek's performance, there's nothing award worthy about it) are influencing my thoughts on its Oscar chances.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I guess my own feelings about the movie (it's not bad but outside of Malek's performance, there's nothing award worthy about it) are influencing my thoughts on its Oscar chances.

Oh, I agree with your general assessment of its chances. I've heard that sentiment from people a lot. Aside from the fact that I'm not a big fan of Queen in the first place, it's why I haven't cared to see the film. I don't think that a nomination for it is incredibly likely. I just wanted to point out that its status as the Globe winner, being crowned the day before Oscar voting began, certainly gives Academy members a reason to consider it as they are filling out their ballots. I don't think it will make it. But it's not going to be because they forgot about it or anything. If it did make the cut, it wouldn't be a complete shock, is all I mean, really. That doesn't make it likely.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think Bohemian Rhapsody will get nods for
Best Picture,
Best Actor,
Best Make Up,
Best Sound
Best Sound Editing

At least

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks