The Monkey

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The Monkey

Genre: Horror

Director: Osgood Perkins

Cast: Theo James, Elijah Wood, Tatiana Maslany, Rohan Campbell, Christian Convery, Sarah Levy, Colin O'Brien, Zia Newton, Kingston Chan

Plot: When twin brothers Hal and Bill discover their father’s old monkey toy in the attic, a series of gruesome deaths starts occurring all around them.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
OK, so this is supposed to be a sequel, or related in some way to Longlegs, which is also directed by Osgood Perkins. The Monkey is based on a Stephen King short story but I don't recall Longlegs being said to be based on a King story.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
A remake of 1988's Monkey Shines

1711814872775.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No, The Monkey is based on a Stephen King story. Monkey Shines is based on a novel by Michael Stewart.

King's story is based on a cursed toy. Stewart's novel features a Capuchin monkey as a helper to a disabled man.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Maybe what happened here is that Perkins wrote some kind of lead up to King's story and shot that as Longlegs and then naturally followed it up by shooting The Monkey. At first I just thought they were two different projects, then I read that there is some kind of connection between the stories. I think Longlegs looks really interesting, I can't recall King's story The Monkey. Longlegs is about a serial killer, that much I know.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't see anything that indicates a connection. King is seemingly not credited on Longlegs in any way, which it seems like he'd have to be if it shared some story concept that's being followed up with The Monkey. There are also different producers and production companies involved with the two films which seems unlikely if they were a continuous story. The Monkey is spear-headed by James Wan's Atomic Monster, while Longlegs is produced by Nicolas Cage's Saturn Films.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
No, The Monkey is based on a Stephen King story. Monkey Shines is based on a novel by Michael Stewart.

King's story is based on a cursed toy. Stewart's novel features a Capuchin monkey as a helper to a disabled man.

The poster to 1988's Monkey Shines is misleading as it features a toy monkey with cymbals

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks