What's new

Return to Monkey Island (2022) (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Wow! Great news! Will be looking forward to this. Hope it doesn't implode like some of the other classic adventure game remakes in recent years.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I like that it is not too much 3D. We have to see more videos.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What was the last game Ron Gilbert made?

I've seen too many old franchises be uselessly resurrected to get too excited about this.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I gotta be honest, of all the LucasArts P&C's I've played, the ones that are my least favorites (OG Maniac Mansion, Zak McCracken, Monkey Island II, and ESPECIALLY Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) were all designed by some configuration of Ron Gilbert, David Fox, Gary Winnick, and Noah Falstein. Soooo color me unenthused about the prospect of this game.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I gotta be honest, of all the LucasArts P&C's I've played, the ones that are my least favorites (OG Maniac Mansion, Zak McCracken, Monkey Island II, and ESPECIALLY Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) were all designed by some configuration of Ron Gilbert, David Fox, Gary Winnick, and Noah Falstein. Soooo color me unenthused about the prospect of this game.
Which ones were your favorites then?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis I enjoyed a lot. It's the only adventure game of that era that I finished with no help. One puzzle that I couldn't figure out, I solved in my sleep and it made me wake up!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Which ones were your favorites then?
Curse of Monkey Island (which this game is retconning out of existence), Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Sam & Max Hit The Road

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Curse of Monkey Island (which this game is retconning out of existence), Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Sam & Max Hit The Road
I'd think a new Monkey Island game wouldn't stray too far from those. I agree that Curse is fantastic.

Now where the heck is that new Space Quest game that's been in development for a decade?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have not finished it yet. I was unsatisfied by the end of Monkey Island 2. Where it says this was all a child's dream and not a real story. Why? What's the point.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I have a lot of nostalgia for the classic point & click adventure games. But I was always more of a fan of the humor and writing than the puzzles, which (returning to them now) seem to have been designed purposefully to be frequently random, so you'd try out every item on every other item, and every part of the environment, until you read all the jokes and eventually found the answer. This was even kind of true in the later games like Grim Fandango. I never played through the Monkey Island series (blasphemy, I know) but it also means I have no real expectations for where the story picks up.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I have a lot of nostalgia for the classic point & click adventure games. But I was always more of a fan of the humor and writing than the puzzles, which (returning to them now) seem to have been designed purposefully to be frequently random, so you'd try out every item on every other item, and every part of the environment, until you read all the jokes and eventually found the answer. This was even kind of true in the later games like Grim Fandango. I never played through the Monkey Island series (blasphemy, I know) but it also means I have no real expectations for where the story picks up.
I also enjoyed the humor in those games as much as anything else, although solving a tough puzzle was always satisfying. As for trying every item on everything else, this is where I think LucasArts made things a little too simple. Sierra games of the time, although they had their own problems of course, made the player be more careful in his/her actions because the wrong action could result in either permanently losing a critical item, or in death. Therefore you would really think about the best possible course of action before doing anything, rather than just randomly trying combinations of objects.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Since I can't edit my previous post, COMI is still canon apparently. This game is supposed to fill in how Guybrush ended up adrift in a bumper car at the start of that game.

I have not finished it yet. I was unsatisfied by the end of Monkey Island 2. Where it says this was all a child's dream and not a real story. Why? What's the point.

Big Whoop aka The Carnival of the Damned was later retconned into being a spell LeChuck has put Guybrush under in Curse of Monkey Island.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
return-to-monkey-island-05.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks