What's new

The "Hairspray" Discussion Forum (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Hairspray is easily one of my favorite musicals, even though the original John Waters film from 1988 was intended as a "dance movie" by the filmmaker himself. It was not converted into a musical until the show was tailored for Broadway in the late 1990s. The show had a successful Broadway run which resulted in a second film adaptation in 2007.

Any fans of this story and musical?

1644617656888.png

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Yes! I was lucky enough to see the original Broadway production back in 2002. It was tremendously entertaining, and a big part of that is the 60s-style music and songs by Marc Shaiman et al.

The 2007 film was a pretty good adaptation, too, with a couple of new songs (New Girl in Town, etc.) that didn't miss a beat fitting in. Plus, performers like Elijah Kelley were amazing!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yes, I really enjoyed the film. I’ve never seen the stage show, but I found the film delightful and the terrific cast absolutely making the most of their roles. I actually prefer it a bit over the original Waters film. Love the soundtrack cd as well.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
My wife and I just re-watched Hairspray (2007) this past Saturday. We were spending the weekend in a hotel, and while browsing through Netflix, we found it. I had been anxiously awaiting a re-watch of the musical, and needless to say, I was thrilled when we found it.

Not only is the movie visually beautiful, the casting is practically flawless. The music is superb and catchy. I caught myself singing along to a majority of the tunes, reminding myself that I still remember them quite well.

"You Can't Stop the Beat" is easily one of the finest finales to a musical. It never ceases to amaze me.

1644859983159.png

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Here's a neat photo of Ricki Lake and Nikki Blonsky together.

1644860476731.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks