What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Good Place - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Whoa!

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the ending. But I love that the show is willing to try this. And I love it's absurdism. It feels Douglas-Adams'y to me at times.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Even getting them to do simple things, like pulling out each other's teeth, is like...I can't think of the right analogy."

Also, Todd.

Seriously. My jaw actually dropped. Next season will be very interesting. And that grin when Michael drops the facade. I don't know how Danson even did that; he actually made his smile pointed.

So, is the Medium Place for real, or just part of the charade? The only thing I know for (pretty much) sure is that Janet really is a Good Janet™.

Definitely going to re-watch for clues. I think we all had it figured out about Chidi and Tahani being only technically "good" people, but it was neat to see that confronted directly. Also, I hope they find a way to keep Adam Scott coming back. He gives great douchebag.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I like getting fooled so I liked the twist but I hated that
Michael is essentially a bad guy.
I had the same reaction, I did not like that twist. I think I laugh out loud at this series as much as anything else I want. I'm sure I miss some of the pop-culture references, but I get enough to bust a gut.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
On one hand, this was the only solution I can think of that would explain the flaws in what is supposed to be a infallible system. It was a staggeringly confident and well-executed finale. It also provides a whole lot of new road for a show that would have seemed to have exhausted its available plot.

On the other hand, I prefer for the show to be about these characters' moral awakening and development. And keeping them trapped in a system specifically designed to bring out their worst qualities and pit them against each other makes for a less interesting foundation for the show.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
On one hand, this was the only solution I can think of that would explain the flaws in what is supposed to be a infallible system. It was a staggeringly confident and well-executed finale. It also provides a whole lot of new road for a show that would have seemed to have exhausted its available plot.

On the other hand, I prefer for the show to be about these characters' moral awakening and development. And keeping them trapped in a system specifically designed to bring out their worst qualities and pit them against each other makes for a less interesting foundation for the show.

Well, the explanation they have been given is not necessarily the absolute truth, either. There could, and I'd argue, must, be much more to the story... I still suspect that what is happening is more of a middle ground. Where they are is not that bad, I would hardly call what they have been going through "torture".

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm glad I stuck with this show because I've really enjoyed it.

I wasn't too sure with the first few episodes, but when it became clear that there was a more interesting, serialized story developing I was hooked. The end of each episode left me wishing I could immediately see the next one.

The reveal was fun and interesting. It definitely addresses many of my issues with the "system" I had from the start of the show.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
A friend suggested I give this a shot so I binged the first half seas so far. It has its charms for sure. I'd take Defending Your Life over it tho =)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

As a non-believer I reacted to the less than perfect heaven as something like "it figures. The here and now is such a shit storm why should the afterlife be much better." Not trying to start a theological discussion just stating why and how I reacted.

I don't like the idea of the characters starting over, it's almost like a series reboot. They could improve on that if fake Eleanor, even though she's lost her memories, retains her moral improvement. If the characters retain what they've become even without their memories. I'm not thrilled about the idea that they are starting totally over.

I really enjoyed Michael's apparent sweetness, innocence, and desire to help. All of it a lie, I feel a little jerked around by this last episode.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I don't like the idea of the characters starting over, it's almost like a series reboot. They could improve on that if fake Eleanor, even though she's lost her memories, retains her moral improvement. If the characters retain what they've become even without their memories. I'm not thrilled about the idea that they are starting totally over.

I really enjoyed Michael's apparent sweetness, innocence, and desire to help. All of it a lie, I feel a little jerked around by this last episode.

Season 2 is where we learn if the show runners are surprised they survived or if they have a solid plan. I'm a little ambivalent about the twist, but I love the show had the courage and audacity to do it.

But now we've got something interesting: the first season we the audience were in the dark with the characters. In the second season, we're in the know while they're in the dark. This gives the show new story-telling opportunities to work with this new dynamic between characters and audience. This also puts the show in good (and bad) company in possibly tackling the thorny question of the essence of personality. This could be new take on "Dark City" and the show explore's whether a person's goodness or badness is intrinsic or extrinsic.

And with Michael now openly a bad guy, we can get a whole new performance from Ted Danson, which could be fun as we've seen from Tom Cavanaugh reinventing Harrison Wells every season on "The Flash".

I have no idea what to expect. After Mr. Robot's sublime first season revealed its secrets, the show runners stumbled around in the second season, but still produced something I found very satisfying (but others didn't). The Good Place has so much potential, and so much audacity, that I hope for a great second season.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And this is exactly why NBC made it clear no extra episodes would be ordered for the year. This storyline had to be tight and planned out from the beginning to make sure the story hung together. Kudos to everyone involved for keeping the reveal, not to mention having it be completely believable.

Now, this also speaks to the strength of limited series or short season runs. With 13 episodes, The Good Place could afford to be quirky, out of the norm and fresh. If it didn't connect with the audience, NBC could double pump episodes and be done in 6ish weeks. But it did connect, which is the fascinating thing.

I hope a season 2 comes in the fall. I'm interested to see what the new story could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks