What's new

The Good Place - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The latest episode was my favorite so far. The characters are being filled out, it wasn't one-note humor. Eleanor was a mix of selfless and selfish.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying this more and more with every episode. I loved "Parks & Recreation", but couldn't make it through the first season of "Brooklyn 99". As much as that one was a miss, this one is a hit for me.

I was extremely surprised that Eleanor outed herself so early in the show's run.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm surprised you didn't care for Brooklyn 99. That's been the best comedy I've found the past couple years.

The Good Place is, for me, a good concept with mediocre writing. I'm enjoying the story as it unfolds, but I keep hoping for more than "Keep it sleazy" jokes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how you sustain this concept over multiple seasons, but the show continues to get better and better for me. I love that Eleanor's halting progress is bearing fruit now, as she's accumulated people who are willing to go to bat for her. And I really appreciated that she didn't backtrack on her confession from last week; even though she knew honesty was likely to condemn her to fiery damnation for all eternity, she was honest.

I adored the idea that participation and/or emotional investment in "The Batchelor" and any of its myriad spinoffs and permutations is one of the primary criteria to decide whether you belong in the Good Place or the Bad Place.

The whole bit with Janet and the cacti just killed me.

The reveal of the other Eleanor Shellstrop, who earned her spot in The Good Place but was condemned to The Bad Place as a result of the bureaucratic screw up, would have had more impact if "Tiya Sircar as The Real Eleanor" hadn't appeared in the end credits before her appearance.

I'm surprised you didn't care for Brooklyn 99. That's been the best comedy I've found the past couple years.
I just couldn't get past the Andy Samberg of it all. He's got an immensely punchable face, and even when his characters are being sincere he never comes across to me as sincere. He just always seems to be secretly having a laugh at someone else's expense.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How many points do you lose from your cosmic score if you mid-season pause a 13-episode show with four to go and 8 weeks left in the year? Enough to land you in in the Bad Place!

The Good Place has become a forking great show!

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
No, don't understand the hiatus at all. By the time it returns any momentum they might have gained will be lost. Any idea when the next 4 are supposed to air? Will it still be 2016?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wiki says January 5. Yeesh.

I had a theory that Eleanor and Jianyu are there because Chidi's personal Heaven (and maybe Tahani's) would be saving lost souls by teaching them ethics. Not sure if that will still hold up, though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What the fork is going on? This show is killing me! The post-break return was one of the weirdest, funniest half hours I've seen in ages. The second wasn't as funny, but moved the story forward so well, with still more surprises.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
As we saw at the end of Thursday's episode. I wonder if this isn't really "the good place" that the residents think it is and most of the people here have some challenge ahead of them.
Well, i am glad at least I was correct (back in September) that it wasn't really "the good place."

Last edited:

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
This was a brilliant episode. It was a suitable end to the series if that's the way it turns out, a suitable setup for next season if it's renewed, and at least a partial answer to the question "How can this premise support a show for more than one season without immense padding?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks