What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
After the auspicious debut of Eraserhead (1977), David Lynch was looking for a follow up project to the surreal film. By chance, Lynch came to the attention of comedy legend Mel Brooks, who was looking for a director for a film to help launch his new film production company Brooksfilms. The end result of this unlikely union was The Elephant Man, a drama rooted in the real life case of Joseph Merrick. Originally released on DVD by Paramount, Criterion has given the movie its long-awaited Blu-ray debut.

The Elephant Man (1980)

Released: 10 Oct 1980
Rated: PG
Runtime: 124 min

Director: David Lynch
Genre: Biography, Drama

Cast: Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt, Anne Bancroft, John Gielgud
Writer(s): Christopher De Vore (screenplay)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Is there a US date for the 4K?

The 4K edition was released in Europe by Studio Canal. The American distribution rights are held by Paramount, who licensed the film to Criterion for Blu-ray. If Paramount has any plans to prepare their own 4K edition, they haven't hinted at it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Good point to bring up. I do own many EU & UK Blu's as I'm region free (Including the 2014 Studio Canal Elephant Man), but the US$50 price tag for this one? Not for me.

$50 was for the initial release with the fancy pop-up packaging. A streamlined edition in a standard keepcase will be released this coming week. Zavvi has it for $26.49 USD.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Barnes and Noble is no longer honoring members 10% discount on top of Criterion sale? I was just refused at the check out counter- was told this was a corporate decision. Anyone know more or can confirm- and like sincewhen? I asked and they said Jan but I said not true as the last sale in July it worked.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
$50 was for the initial release with the fancy pop-up packaging. A streamlined edition in a standard keepcase will be released this coming week. Zavvi has it for $26.49 USD.

Bummer:

1604946227324.png

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Barnes and Noble is no longer honoring members 10% discount on top of Criterion sale? I was just refused at the check out counter- was told this was a corporate decision. Anyone know more or can confirm- and like sincewhen? I asked and they said Jan but I said not true as the last sale in July it worked.
Yeah, the discount is no longer applied starting with this most recent sale.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That stinks. It was still reporting as available when I posted the link.

It does stink, but on the other hand it's great to see a 4K disc release of a catalog title fly off the shelves and sell out. :)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It does stink, but on the other hand it's great to see a 4K disc release of a catalog title fly off the shelves and sell out. :)

It's strange that no other retailers listed this keepcase edition. I wonder if Zavvi jumped the gun with the listing, and flipped it to "Sold Out" when they realized they wouldn't be getting any stock? That sort of thing has happened before.

Both the SteelBook and the Collector's Edition with the fancy packaging were marketed as limited edition items. Zavvi has product images of the keepcase, so it must be an actual planned product, not something Zavvi made up. I expect that this will get cleared up eventually, perhaps with a new street date for the keepcase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, the discount is no longer applied starting with this most recent sale.

As an FYI, Amazon has been price matching B&N on most of the Criterions, and including an additional coupon discount for Prime subscribers once the item is in the cart. So they’re basically giving Prime members the same price as if B&N were giving an additional member discount.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
As an FYI, Amazon has been price matching B&N on most of the Criterions, and including an additional coupon discount for Prime subscribers once the item is in the cart. So they’re basically giving Prime members the same price as if B&N were giving an additional member discount.
Nice and I need to check this out pronto. A code pops in auto?
UPDATE Sorry don’t see the code and I’m a Prime subscriber?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No code and it doesn’t seem to be consistent either by item or time. Some of the Criterions in my cart have a button underneath the price offering a $1.60 - $2 discount depending on item, you just have to press button to clip coupon. It was on some items, then disappeared, then reappeared. So you might have to throw it in your cart and if it’s not offered, check back throughout the day. And it may have been a temporary offer.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
B&N will lose a lot of member$hips now as that was the only reason for me and others to even get one. I would never buy a physical book.
Good luck B&N.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks