What's new

International La Haine 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I had already got hold of the BFI region B-locked blu-ray of StudioCanal's new 4K mastered release of this blistering French classic - it would make a good double-bill with Do The Right Thing. Then I noticed over on Beaver that the French 4K UHD release had English subtitles, so I ordered that version too. The BFI blu-ray is far better than the Criterion version released in 2012, but the 4K UHD is even better than that. Like The Elephant Man and Breathless, the black and white picture gains so many more shades of grey, as well as improving the detail. The HDR is done really well and there's no problem projecting this. A curiosity: the subtitles tried to translate one of the gangsters called "Asterix" to "Snoopy"! Do the French think that no one outside France knows who Asterix is? The mastering house responsible for the video transfer? Hiventy. One of the fantastic StudioCanal 4K UHDs. An essential purchase.
IMG_3403.jpg

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

Hiventy seem to do really good restorations with their black and white films: Wages Of Fear, The Baker's Wife, L'Age D'Or, La Haine are all fantastic. Some of the colour films they do are universally praised: La Belle Noiseuse (The number one erotic film on Rotten Tomatoes) looks gorgeous on the Cohen blu-ray. Really great film, by the way.

Belle du Jour and Le Cercle Rouge came under flack for their colour timing, though.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby

Hiventy seem to do really good restorations with their black and white films: Wages Of Fear, The Baker's Wife, L'Age D'Or, La Haine are all fantastic. Some of the colour films they do are universally praised: La Belle Noiseuse (The number one erotic film on Rotten Tomatoes) looks gorgeous on the Cohen blu-ray. Really great film, by the way.

Belle du Jour and Le Cercle Rouge came under flack for their colour timing, though.
If you like La Belle Noiseuse (great film, great blu ray) i recommend Portrait of a Lady on Fire, another French film with an art theme. Both films should receive 4k releases.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
If you like La Belle Noiseuse (great film, great blu ray) i recommend Portrait of a Lady on Fire, another French film with an art theme. Both films should receive 4k releases.
I totally agree. I thought Portrait Of A Lady On Fire was the best film of 2020. The Criterion blu-ray is excellent, so a 4K UHD would simply have been amazing.

Interestingly, the director of Portrait, Céline Sciamma, directed a film in 2014 about young black girls in Paris, which echoed the feelings of La Haine. Girlhood is available in both region A and B. I can really recommend it.

Derrick King

Supporting Actor
A curiosity: the subtitles tried to translate one of the gangsters called "Asterix" to "Snoopy"! Do the French think that no one outside France knows who Asterix is?
Criterion's DVD release also had those subtitles, I figured that they were prepared by Universal, who Criterion licensed the film from at the time, but it seems like the French did that themselves. Criterion did correct the subtitles for their Blu-ray.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Criterion's DVD release also had those subtitles, I figured that they were prepared by Universal, who Criterion licensed the film from at the time, but it seems like the French did that themselves. Criterion did correct the subtitles for their Blu-ray.
The BFI has the correct subtitles. There is a fantastic amount of swearing in French - probably even more than in The Wolf of Wall Street! I could study the script included with the 4K disc and learn all the filthy words they never taught me at school!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hack