What's new

La Grande Illusion StudioCanal 2020 (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Suddenly, a new blu-ray of this great classic film, Criterion's DVD spine number 1, is released in the UK. But is this a new mastering effort? Absolutely no information to be found anywhere (Beaver just links this release to the 2012 blu-ray).

However, since StudioCanal have been redoing many of their early blu-ray efforts (Breathless, Last Year At Marienbad, The Elephant Man, Belle du Jour), I thought it would be quite likely that this would be a new mastering effort, based on the previous restoration. And it looks like it too. Double the bit-rate and already from the opening titles, it is clear that the contrast has been adjusted a bit, so that the blacks and greys are less blown out. There is no longer any option for a German dub and a few of the extras from the 2012 blu-ray have been dropped.

Whether you want this region B-locked disc probably depends how highly you love this film. For me, it's the same as seeing the 4K mastered Seventh Seal blu-ray on the Criterion Bergman box. La Grande Illusion also happens to be one of my key films, so I'm happy that it has been upgraded.

IMG_3284.jpg

GI 2020-2.jpg GI 2012-2.jpg GI 2020-4.jpg GI 2012-4.jpg

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Looked at DVD Basen and saw no reviews of the recent release so i hope it gets reviewed. Have the Region A StudioCanal Lionsgate release and happy to have it. The Rules of the Game is another favorite from the great Director so i hope Criterion will re-release La Grande Illusion since it's been over 20 years when they released spine #1.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It's from the earlier 4K restoration. Same encode.
I do get that this is from the same 4K master, restored from the original nitrate negative for the 75th anniversary. However, the bit rate and contrast on these two discs I have in my collection differ - wouldn't this suggest a new mastering? This is no information anywhere on the packaging that this is the case and StudioCanal do usually trumpet something remastered.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I do get that this is from the same 4K master, restored from the original nitrate negative for the 75th anniversary. However, the bit rate and contrast on these two discs I have in my collection differ - wouldn't this suggest a new mastering? This is no information anywhere on the packaging that this is the case and StudioCanal do usually trumpet something remastered.
Yes they would call it "Newly Restored" ;).

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
did the first Blu Ray have any problems, or was it terrific?
The first blu ray from StudioCanal was very good. This was a fantastic restoration - easy to see speckles and marks on the print used for the old Criterion DVD (which itself was a vast improvement from the laserdisc transfer)

So a difference in the gamma or bitrate is not going to make a difference for 99% of the people who already own the original StudioCanal blu-ray. But this is one title I've had since laserdisc days. I still have the laserdisc for the essay on the back!

There is a promotional trailer on the original StudioCanal blu-ray, for other StudioCanal titles. Almost all of them have been remastered and reissued on blu-ray since 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks