What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Elephant Man (1980) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1592254665341.png

With this poignant second feature, David Lynch brought his atmospheric visual and sonic palette to a notorious true story set in Victorian England. When the London surgeon Frederick Treves (Anthony Hopkins) meets the freak-show performer John Merrick (John Hurt), who has severe skeletal and soft tissue deformities, he assumes that he must be intellectually disabled as well. As the two men spend more time together, though, Merrick reveals the intelligence, gentle nature, and profound sense of dignity that lie beneath his shocking appearance, and he and Treves develop a friendship. Shot in gorgeous black and white and boasting a stellar supporting cast that includes Anne Bancroft, John Gielgud, and Wendy Hiller, The Elephant Man was nominated for eight Academy Awards, cementing Lynch’s reputation as one of American cinema’s most visionary talents.

FILM INFO
  • David Lynch
  • United States
  • 123 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 2.35:1
  • English
  • Spine #1051
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Director David Lynch and critic Kristine McKenna reading from Room to Dream, a 2018 book they coauthored
  • Archival interviews with Lynch, actor John Hurt, producers Mel Brooks and Jonathan Sanger, director of photography Freddie Francis, stills photographer Frank Connor, and makeup artist Christopher Tucker
  • Audio recording from 1981 of an interview and Q&A with Lynch at the American Film Institute
  • The Terrible Elephant Man Revealed, a 2001 documentary about the film
  • Trailer and radio spots
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • More!
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring excerpts from an interview with Lynch from the 2005 edition of filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch, and an 1886 letter to the editor of the London Times concerning Joseph Merrick, the “elephant man,” by Francis Culling Carr Gomm, chairman of the London Hospital at the time
New cover by Sister Hyde

September 29, 2020

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I've heard about this movie for quite some time, but was afraid of seeing it as I thought it was a horror movie for the longest time. The original VHS cover that I would see in Blockbusters backed my suspicion of why I thought it was horror as well.

1592259255911.png

Last edited:

Kilgore

Agent
Real Name
Glen Morgan
Man, what an HD drought we've had to go through for just to get Elephant Man on Blu-ray in NA. And to get a Criterion release at that? Immediate purchase.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific film with a heartbreaking Oscar nominated title performance by John Hurt! From Mel Brooks company no less. I’m in!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you have 4k, I would opt for the Studio Canal release. It is the most beautiful, drop-dead gorgeous B&W film I have ever seen.

I talked about it in the International thread.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The StudioCanal 4K release is one of the best discs released - Criterion should have released this as their first 4K title. There are some decent extras on Criterion's release, so I'll have to double-dip, seeing as this is one of my favourite films.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
John Hurt gives a masterful performance, but I honestly thought Anthony Hopkins was his equal and deserving of some praise, too. That moment when he first sees what the man actually looks like features a majestic close-up of Hopkins as tears well in his eyes and begin to drop. That moment greatly affected me the first time I saw the film, and I remember it vividly to this day.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John Hurt gives a masterful performance, but I honestly thought Anthony Hopkins was his equal and deserving of some praise, too. That moment when he first sees what the man actually looks like features a majestic close-up of Hopkins as tears well in his eyes and begin to drop. That moment greatly affected me the first time I saw the film, and I remember it vividly to this day.

Exactly! That is a very heartbreaking and terrifying sequence all rolled into one.

I was never a huge fan of The Elephant Man, but the more I see it, the more appreciate its brilliance in style and storytelling.

What caps it all off is the most amazing 4k transfer I have seen. It's the B&W equivalent of the color Lawrence of Arabia.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
52 pounds? Yikes. And the blu’s are region B right? Tempting but......

Is there a single 4K disc option?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
52 pounds? Yikes. And the blu’s are region B right? Tempting but......

Is there a single 4K disc option?
No. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of a single standalone 4K disc release without a blu-ray included. The French 4K steelbook is half the price but Amazon France doesn't seem to be shipping overseas.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The original Canal Blu had interesting packaging. A very thin heavy paper jacket, without a spindle. The disc was held in place by a circle of double stick tape. Which on my example is no longer sticking.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The original Canal Blu had interesting packaging. A very thin heavy paper jacket, without a spindle. The disc was held in place by a circle of double stick tape. Which on my example is no longer sticking.
Ach! Must be just like the original packaging of the Criterion BD of All about Eve (which Criterion kindly replaced upon request).

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I have that version, and a bunch of other Studio Canal blurays in that series - Deer hunter, Contempt, The Graduate, Last Year at Marienbad, Delicatessan, the Lost Honour of Katarina Blum, The Go-Between, The Third Man, Le Cercle Rouge, 3 Days of the Condor. Many of these have been bettered in the intervening years since their release by better versions. I have the Elephant Man 4K on its way to me now :emoji_grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks