What's new

THE CARDINAL - 1963 (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just looked at my Concorde blu ray of THE CARDINAL. It does not look any different than my SD version of it that I bought on iTunes many years ago

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
I always liked Tom Tryon and thought he should have been a star, rather than the almost star he became. I also liked him in The Glory Guys as well as the two films with John Wayne (Longest Day & In Harm's Way).
Tom also starred in "I Married a Monster from Outer Space." Good sci-fi film.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Romy Schneider also starred in "The Victors" which, sadly, appears to be a lost film except for
a foreign pan-and-scan release. Anyone have any information about this?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'd say that my Concorde BD does looks better than the WB Cardinal DVD from way back when, although an upgrade would be fabulous and a day one purchase for me.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Romy Schneider also starred in "The Victors" which, sadly, appears to be a lost film except for
a foreign pan-and-scan release.
If you're referring to Sony's R2 (British) release (which I have), it is not pan and scan but in its original aspect ratio of 2.35 Panavision, anamorphic of course. And it's the general release version cut by 20 minutes and frankly I'm grateful for it. Even at 2 1/2 hours, it's an uneven, heavy handed and ponderous anti-war tract and the idea of wading through an additional 20 minutes has me shuddering. I stand to be corrected but I don't think the cut scene with the boy prostitute was even in the American version as the then Hays code wouldn't allow homosexual references (certainly not in children) in movies at the time.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
a foreign pan-and-scan release. Anyone have any information about this?
I saw THE VICTORS in HD 2.35 on the Sony Channel a few years ago. It looked fantastic but it was the 156 minute cut version.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The opening credits by Saul Bass are great little movie itself backed by that stirring Moross score. I have the dvd but I must admit I have never made it through the whole film.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I have the German blu-ray and it's decent.

For trivia fans, re the blu-ray: the German track is dubbed by Schneider and the film reunites her with Vilma Degischer , her magnificent and rigid mother-in-law from the "Sissi" series, and Josef Meinrad and Peter Weck from "Sissi" as well. They provide their own voices in the dub too.

I took a cell shot from my copy. You can see it is grainy.

Attachments

• 20210725_203814_kindlephoto-1310650020.jpg
    20210725_203814_kindlephoto-1310650020.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Whenever I find out a soundtrack is on Kritzerland I dread it because if it is a title I want it is certain to be sold out and as they are limited pressings you're not going to find it again except for outrageous prices on ebay. Well miracles of miracles The Cardinal is still available so I grabbed it. Remember seeing it as a boy on TV(Kind of tough stuff for a little kid) as well as Moon Pilot on The Wonderful World of Disney. Maybe that might come out on bluray someday.

Last edited:

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Whenever I find out a soundtrack is on Kritzerland I dread it because if it is a title I want it is certain to be sold out and as they are limited pressings you're not going to find it again except for outrageous prices on ebay. Well miracles of miracles The Cardinal is still available so I grabbed it. Remember seeing it as a boy on TV(Kind of tough stuff for a little kid) as well as Moon Pilot on The Wonderful World of Disney. Maybe that might come out on bluray someday.
Yes, I ordered it, too. I was so glad it was available.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I own the German BD (Der Kardinal). This is one of those movies in my collection that I have to watch about once a year. It's a little "soap opera-ish", but is redeemed by the excellent acting, cast, and of course, the magnificent score.

First saw it when released on laserdisc. I read somewhere that the film wasn't released theatrically with an overture. But the LD had it, and it's carried over to the German BD. Correct or not, I'm happy it's there as I can't get enough of score, and It sets the mood for the rest of the film.

The colors (especially the reds/purples of the religious garb) really pop! Not sure If this German BD was "restored", but aside from some graininess at the beginning, I'm quite happy with the transfer. I'd really like to see this revisited by Criterion, and in 4K!

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I wonder if the elements for THE CARDINAL exist and what condition they are in. It was a Columbia film and Warner released the dvd.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks