What's new

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Has there been any word on a remastered Blu-ray release of this film? It was the very first 35MM to 70MM blow-up I ever saw. In fact, I think it may have been the very first ever done, at least successfully. I see there is a Blu-ray from Spain, but does anyone have it and can comment on its quality? This is one of my favorites (even if I think Jerome Moross' superb score is under-utilized) , and while I have the old DVD, it needs a proper remastering and Blu-ray release.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
That German blu-ray which I purchased some time ago from Amazon Germany was titled Der Kardinal and was released by a company called Concorde, part of their "Classic Selection" group. Quality and sharpness are actually quite good, although a remastering would undoubtedly provide better results. Great film in my opinion. I'd certainly go for an upgrade.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I don't know much about this film, except that it's one of the many Otto Preminger films not released yet on blu here in North America.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
For what it´s worth:
The Cardinal was restored in 2006/07 by TLEFilms of Germany. For detailed technical info, click on the link below. When the page has opened, go to page bottom and click on "This Way to the Restoration Projects". On the bottom of that page, there are links to pages detailing several restored films by Preminger and others.

I cannot say if this restoration is on the Concorde bluray.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Unless things have changed, Warners has the North American rights to The Cardinal (along with other Preminger titles like The Moon Is Blue, Saint Joan, Man With The Golden Arm) so your best hope is that it comes through the Archives program.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Unless things have changed, Warners has the North American rights to The Cardinal (along with other Preminger titles like The Moon Is Blue, Saint Joan, Man With The Golden Arm) so your best hope is that it comes through the Archives program.

Criterion would most likely be the company to release those titles at this point, as they already released Anatomy of a Murder.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Several weird things in that restoration article for The Cardinal. They act like one of the IPs was "Technicolor" rather than Eastman color - weird. Weirder is that they say they used a lot of music from the vinyl soundtrack release. I don't know WHEN this was done, but we released the best-sounding version of The Cardinal - using the original two-track album master and, for a few things, the one three-track original they had. If TLE used the Spain CD release, well, it's not from the original tapes. If they used the vinyl, that's a joke. Oh, I see - done in 2008 - oops.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I’d love a release of this film by Warner Archive or Criterion. I have the old DVD and it needs an upgrade. It’s a good film and I like Tom Tryon. He’s convincing in the role in my opinion. I liked him a lot in Glory Guys as well.
I always liked Tom Tryon and thought he should have been a star, rather than the almost star he became. I also liked him in The Glory Guys as well as the two films with John Wayne (Longest Day & In Harm's Way).

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Back in 2015 while visiting my dear old friend Andy he pulled out the then new Bob Dylan CD "Shadows in the Night" to play in the car and when track 3 came up I almost jumped out of the Toyota exclaiming "Dear God, that's the Theme from "The Cardinal"! Found out later that Sinatra had covered it on his LP "Sinatra '65". Nice lyrics for a very lovely tune. I even learned a guitar version of "Stay With Me" which I still often play.

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
Back in 2015 while visiting my dear old friend Andy he pulled out the then new Bob Dylan CD "Shadows in the Night" to play in the car and when track 3 came up I almost jumped out of the Toyota exclaiming "Dear God, that's the Theme from "The Cardinal"! Found out later that Sinatra had covered it on his LP "Sinatra '65". Nice lyrics for a very lovely tune. I even learned a guitar version of "Stay With Me" which I still often play.
Thanks, Ed. I have that Sinatra LP, but don't know that I ever listened to it all the way through. Putting it on now.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Romy Schneider was breathtakingly beautiful in THE CARDINAL.
I just watched LA PISCINE blu ray last night...It rose Romy Schneider to European superstardom.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I just watched LA PISCINE blu ray last night...It rose Romy Schneider to European superstardom.
I'd say it re-energized her career than being the vehicle that made her a star. Prior to La Piscine, Schneider was a huge star in Germany because of the Sissi films and she'd already worked with Luchino Visconti, Orson Welles, Rene Clement, Henri Georges Clouzot, Jules Dassin and Otto Preminger and played leading lady to Peter O'Toole, Jack Lemmon, Yul Brynner, Alain Delon and Jean Louis Trintignant. Even Hollywood deemed her important enough to import to Hollywood for Good Neighbor Sam. All before La Piscine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pussinboots
Recent bookmarks