What's new

International English-Friendly Blu-rays Unreleased in the US, UK or Oz (1 Viewer)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
An increasing number of great quality BDs are emanating from mainland Europe and elsewhere these days and very often they're exclusive HD releases. Behind the US, UK and Australia, for lovers of classic Hollywood, France and Germany occupy equal fourth place for sheer quantity and quality. There are an even bigger number of BDs hailing from Italy and Spain, but unless they're from a tried and trusted label, they're very likely cheap bootlegs and to be avoided. However, if there are any you're certain of, please let me know. If unsure, check them against the list of known bootleg labels in this article.

Legit Euro BDs come with some caveats though: they're often region B-locked and often, but not always, French BDs have forced French subtitles on non-French audio tracks, including English. Other countries' discs usually have no such problems. Many BDs of French, German, Spanish and Italian films also include English subs, so I'll list those too.

I'll keep this post updated, with Amazon links eventually, so give me your suggestions please. If possible, mention the region coding status and if forced subs are present. Probably also worth including are any BDs that only saw limited edition US or UK runs, especially if now sold out, like some of those from Twilight Time.

US films
  • Against All Flags (1952) – France, Germany and Denmark
  • Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (1944) – Germany, also in 1001 Nacht 3-BD set
  • Anne of the Indies (1951) – Germany
  • Another Happy Day (2011) – France and Germany
  • Arabian Nights (1942) – Germany, also in 1001 Nacht 3-BD set
  • Backlash (1956) – Germany
  • The Battle of the River Plate (1956) – France and Germany
  • Bend of the River (1952) – Germany
  • The Big Clock (1948) – Germany, Film Noir Classics 3-BD set with The Dark Mirror (1946) and Ministry of Fear (1944)
  • Blonde Venus (1932) – France
  • The Bounty (1984) – France and Germany; US Twilight Time sold out
  • The Bravados (1958) – Germany
  • Buccaneer's Girl (1950) – France
  • Call Northside 777 (1948) – Germany
  • Caprice (1967) – Germany, also in Doris Day Premium Collection 3-BD set
  • Captain Lightfoot (1955) – France and Germany
  • The Cardinal (1963) – Germany
  • Cobra Woman (1944) – Germany
  • Cutter's Way (1981) – France
  • The Conqueror (1956) – Germany
  • Dear Brigitte (1965) – France and Germany
  • Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954) – France; US Twilight Time sold out
  • Destry Rides Again (1939) – Germany
  • Do Not Disturb (1965) – Germany, also in Doris Day Premium Collection 3-BD set
  • The Egyptian (1954) – France (1080i60 [PAL speed], forced subs), also in 2 Grands Classiques set with Forever Amber (1947) and Denmark; US Twilight Time sold out
  • Everyone Says I Love You (1996) – France (forced subs), Italy and Spain
  • The Flame of New Orleans (1941) – France
  • A Foreign Affair (1948) – France and Germany
  • From Noon Till Three (1976) – Germany
  • The Getaway (1994) – Germany and Spain
  • The Glenn Miller Story (1954) – Germany
  • The Golden Blade (1953) – Germany, also in 1001 Nacht 3-BD set
  • The Great Waldo Pepper (1975) – France and Germany
  • Gunman's Walk (1958) – Germany
  • The Hunted (2003) – Germany and Russia
  • The Invisible Man (1933) Universal series
  • – The Invisible Man Returns (1940) – France, Germany and Der Unsichtbare: Monster Classics Complete Collection
  • – The Invisible Woman (1940) – France
  • – [Invisible Agent (1942)]
  • – The Invisible Man's Revenge (1944) – France, Germany and box set
  • – [Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)]
  • – Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951) – France, Germany and box set
  • Joan of Arc (1948) – France
  • John and Mary (1969) – France
  • King Kong (1976) – France and Germany (both R0, optional subs)
  • The Last Wagon (1956) – France and Germany
  • Lenny (1974) – France; US Twilight Time sold out
  • Lolita (1997) – Germany
  • Lonely Are the Brave (1962) – Germany
  • Lucky Star (1929) – France (R0, optional subs)
  • A Man Called Sledge (1970) – Germany
  • Man Without a Star (1955) – Germany
  • The Monolith Monsters (1957) – Germany
  • Move Over, Darling (1963) – Germany, also in Doris Day Premium Collection 3-BD set
  • The Night of the Following Day (1969) – France (R0, optional subs)
  • Night Passage (1957) – France and Germany
  • The Objective (2008) – France and Germany
  • O. Henry's Full House (1952) – France and Germany
  • Open Range (2003) – France (R0, optional subs but forced on extras), Germany (RB) and Denmark (R0)
  • The Purple Heart (1944) – France
  • Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1970) – France
  • The Rains Of Ranchipur (1955) – France and Germany; US Twilight Time sold out
  • The Secret of Santa Vittoria (1969) – Germany and US (Twilight Time)
  • 7th Heaven (1927) – France (R0, optional subs)
  • Seven Thieves (1960) – Germany
  • Shadow of the Vampire (2000) – Germany
  • A Simple Plan (1998) – Germany
  • The Song of Songs (1933) – France
  • The Straight Story (1999) – Italy, Germany, Spain (Divisa) and Japan
  • Street Angel (1928) – France (R0, optional subs)
  • Summertime (1955) – Japan
  • Swashbuckler (1976) – Germany (RB)
  • Sweet Charity (1969) – France
  • The Tall Men (1955) – Germany
  • Taza, Son of Cochise (1954) – Germany
  • The 13th Warrior (1999) – France and Germany
  • This Island Earth (1955) – France and Germany
  • Tickle Me (1965) – Germany
  • Two Flags West (1950) – Germany R0
  • Warlock (1959) – Germany
  • Wind Walkers (2015) – Germany

UK films
  • Anne of the Thousand Days (1969) – Germany
  • 49th Parallel (1941) – France (RB, optional subs)
  • A Good Year (2006) – Germany and Spain (both R0)
  • The Human Factor (1979) – Germany
  • I Know Where I'm Going! (1945) – France
  • Jungle Book (1942) – Germany
  • March or Die (1977) – France, Germany and Spain (Divisa)
  • A Matter of Life and Death (1946) – France and Le Monde fantastique de Michael Powell set, Germany; 4K restoration due on BD
  • Night of the Demon (1957) – France (R0, optional subs)
  • The Peking Medallion (1967) – Germany
  • The Sheltering Sky (1990) – France (forced subs) and Germany
Australian films
  • Race for the Yankee Zephyr (1981) – Germany

French films
  • L'affaire Maurizius (1954) dir. Julien Duvivier with Daniel Gelin and Anton Walbrook
  • Alexandre le Bienbeureux (1967) dir. Yves Robert with Philippe Noiret and Marlene Jobert
  • Les Amants De Verona (1949) with Anouk Aimee and Serge Reggiani
  • L'Auberge espagnole (2002) dir. Cédric Klapisch with Romain Duris, Audrey Tautou, Cécile de France and Kelly Reilly (all three films); also in La Trilogie 3-BD set
  • – Les Poupées russes (2005)
  • – Casse-tête chinois (2013)
  • La belle equipe (1936) dir. Julien Duvivier with Jean Gabin and Charles Vanel
  • Bilitis (1977) dir. David Hamilton with Patti D'Arbanville and Mona Kristensen – Germany
  • Un Carnet De Bal (1937) dir. Julien Duvivier with Raimu, Fernandel, Louis Jouvet and Marie Bell
  • Caroline Cherie (1953) with Martine Carol
  • Crime et chatiment (1956) dir. Georges Lampin with Jean Gabin, Marina Vlady and Robert Hossein
  • Le Desordre Et La Nuit (1958) with Jean Gabin and Danielle Darrieux
  • Les disparus de Saint-Agil (1938) dir.Christian-Jaque with Erich Von Stroheim and Michel Simon
  • L'etrange Monsieur Steve (1957) with Jeanne Moreau
  • Fantomas (1964) with Jean Marais and Mylene Demongeot
  • Un femme du boulanger (1938) directed by Marcel Pagnol with Raimu
  • La fin du jour (1939) dir. Julien Duvivier with Michel Simon
  • La Gifle (1974) with Isabelle Adjani, Annie Girardot and Lino Ventura
  • Les Grandes Personnes (1961) with Jean Seberg and Maurice Ronet
  • Goupi mains rouges (1943) dir. Jacques Becker with Fernand Ledoux
  • Un long dimanche de fiançailles (2004) dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet with Audrey Tautou, Gaspard Ulliel, Marion Cotillard and Jodie Foster
  • Marie-Antoinette reine de France (1956) dir. Jean Delannoy with Michele Morgan and Richard Todd
  • Marie-Octobre (1959) dir. Julien Duvivier with Danielle Darrieux and Lino Ventura
  • La Minute De Verite (1952) with Jean Gabin and Michele Morgan
  • Mort d'un pourri (1977) dir. Georges Lautner with Alain Delon
  • Les Orgueilleux (1953) Gerard Philipe and Michele Morgan
  • Le pacha (1968) dir. Georges Lauther with Jean Gabin and Dany Carrel
  • Paradis perdu (1940) dir. Abel Gance with Frenand Gravey and Micheline Presle
  • Pattes blanches (1949) dir. Jean Gremillon with Suzy Delair and Fernand Ledoux
  • Le Plaisir (1952) dir. Max Ophüls with Claude Dauphin, Danielle Darrieux, Jean Gabin and Simone Simon
  • Présumé Coupable (2011) dir. Vincent Garenq with Philippe Torreton
  • Les risques du metier (1967) dir. Andre Cayatte with Jacques Brel
  • Le 7eme jure (1962) dir. Georges Lautner with Bernard Blier and Daniele Delorme
  • Une Si Jolie Petite Plage (1949) with Gerard Philipe
  • Les Sorcieres De Salem (1957) with Simone Signoret and Yves Montand
  • Un taxi pour Tobruk (1960) dir.Denys de la Patrlliere with Lino Ventura and Hardy Kruger
  • Les Visiteurs (1993) with Christian Clavier, Jean Reno and Marie-Anne Chazel (in all three films); original and remastered BDs and L'intégrale trilogy box set
  • – Les Visiteurs 2: Les Couloirs du temps (1993)
  • – [Les Visiteurs: La Révolution (2016) – no English subs]

German films
  • Paradies: Liebe (2012) dir. Ulrich Seidl with Margarethe Tiesel and Peter Kazungu
  • – Paradies: Glaube (2012) with Maria Hofstätter and Nabil Saleh
  • – Paradies: Hoffnung (2013) with Melanie Lenz and Verena Lehbauer
  • Was bleibt (2012) dir. Hans-Christian Schmid with Hans-Christian Schmid and Corinna Harfouch

Spanish films

Italian films
  • La solitudine dei numeri primi (2010) dir. Saverio Costanzo with Alba Rohrwacher, Luca Marinelli and Isabella Rossellini
  • Mine vaganti (2010) dir. Ferzan Özpetek with Riccardo Scamarcio and Nicole Grimaudo
  • Pane e cioccolata (1973) dir. Franco Brusati with Nino Manfredi, Johnny Dorelli and Anna Karina
  • Sedotta e abbandonata (1964) dir. Pietro Germi with Stefania Sandrelli and Saro Urzì
  • Una vita tranquilla (2010) dir. Claudio Cupellini with Toni Servillo, Marco D'Amore, Francesco Di Leva and Juliane Köhler
Bud Spencer and Terence Hill films
Most of their numerous joint spaghetti westerns, buddy films and individual efforts have been released in Germany and by Divisa in Spain. There are many German box sets, most notably the 30-BD Die große Bud & Terence Buchbox im Vinylformat, BS & TH 20er Mega Blu-ray Collection, 8-BD BS Jumbo Box, 4-BD Die grosse TH Box and 3-BD TH ist Lucky Luke set. The overwhelming majority contain English subtitles and/or dubs.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You might like our Blu-rays From Germany thread. Been going on for a long while but there's a treasure trove of good info in there. I recently commented on some James Stewart westerns from Germany.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I suppose it would be worth a small thread if only to list which films from France didn't have those forced subs...

I realize this thread is intended for English language films released in France but for lovers of French cinema, there are many good French films with English subtitles that are also not available in the U.S. Most French blu rays do NOT have English subtitles. Among the blu ray titles of French films with English subtitles unreleased in the U.S. in my collection:

Un Carnet De Bal (1937) (aka Dance Program) Directed by Julien Duvivier with Raimu, Fernandel, Louis Jouvet and Marie Bell.
Caroline Cherie (1953) with Martine Carol.
Le Desordre Et La Nuit (1958) with Jean Gabin and Danielle Darrieux
L'etrange Monsieur Steve (1957) with Jeanne Moreau
Fantomas (1964) with Jean Marais and Mylene Demongeot
La Gifle (1974) (aka The Slap) with Isabelle Adjani, Annie Girardot and Lino Ventura.
Les Grandes Personnes (1961) with Jean Seberg and Maurice Ronet
Les Amants De Verona (1949) with Anouk Aimee and Serge Reggiani
La Minute De Verite (1952) with Jean Gabin and Michele Morgan.
Une Si Jolie Petite Plage (1949) with Gerard Philipe
Les Orgueilleux (1953) Gerard Philipe and Michele Morgan
Les Sorcieres De Salem (1957) (aka Witches Of Salem) with Simone Signoret and Yves Montand (a film version of Arthur Miller's The Crucible adapted by Jean Paul Sartre)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, the ‘Blu-rays from Germany thread’ is pretty extensive. France doesn’t deserve a dedicated thread because of the forced subtitle issue.

Not all French discs have them. You might wish to wait for a review. Otherwise, if you have the means of removing forced French subtitles, that is an option upon which I cannot elaborate here.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I realize this thread is intended for English language films released in France but for lovers of French cinema, there are many good French films with English subtitles that are also not available in the U.S. Most French blu rays do NOT have English subtitles. Among the blu ray titles of French films with English subtitles unreleased in the U.S. in my collection:

Un Carnet De Bal (1937) (aka Dance Program) Directed by Julien Duvivier with Raimu, Fernandel, Louis Jouvet and Marie Bell.
Caroline Cherie (1953) with Martine Carol.
Le Desordre Et La Nuit (1958) with Jean Gabin and Danielle Darrieux
L'etrange Monsieur Steve (1957) with Jeanne Moreau
Fantomas (1964) with Jean Marais and Mylene Demongeot
La Gifle (1974) (aka The Slap) with Isabelle Adjani, Annie Girardot and Lino Ventura.
Les Grandes Personnes (1961) with Jean Seberg and Maurice Ronet
Les Amants De Verona (1949) with Anouk Aimee and Serge Reggiani
La Minute De Verite (1952) with Jean Gabin and Michele Morgan.
Une Si Jolie Petite Plage (1949) with Gerard Philipe
Les Orgueilleux (1953) Gerard Philipe and Michele Morgan
Les Sorcieres De Salem (1957) (aka Witches Of Salem) with Simone Signoret and Yves Montand (a film version of Arthur Miller's The Crucible adapted by Jean Paul Sartre)

Amazon France does not always inform us about whether or not English subtitles are included. If unsure, I would suggest going to Daaveedee, where that information is almost always included.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
German release - Destry Rides Again
French release - Sweet Charity

French or Spanish release - Everyone Says I Love You (french has forced subs, spanish is removable)

gonda

Agent
Real Name
Zoran Gonda
From France with English subtitle
Un femme du boulanger (The Baker's Wife) (1938) directed by Marcel Pagnol with Raimu.
Orson Welles said for Raimu: "This is the greatest actor who ever lived".

Last edited:

gonda

Agent
Real Name
Zoran Gonda
More French films with English subtitle (not released in US or UK)
  1. La belle equipe (1936) dir. Julien Duvivier with Jean Gabin, Charles Vanel
  2. Les disparus de Saint-Agil (1938) dir.Christian-Jaque with Erich Von Stroheim, Michel Simon
  3. La fin du jour (1939) dir. Julien Duvivier with Michel Simon
  4. Paradis perdu (1940) dir. Abel Gance with Frenand Gravey, Micheline Presle
  5. Goupi mains rouges (1943) dir. Jacques Becker with Fernand Ledoux
  6. L'affaire Maurizius (1954) dir. Julien Duvivier with Daniel Gelin, Anton Walbrook
  7. Crime et chatiment (1956) dir. Georges Lampin with Jean Gabin, Marina Vlady, Robert Hossein
  8. Marie-Antoinette reine de France (1956) dir. Jean Delannoy with Michele Morgan, Richard Todd
  9. Marie-Octobre (1959) dir. Julien Duvivier with Danielle Darrieux, Lino Ventura
  10. Un taxi pour Tobruk (1960) dir.Denys de la Patelliere with Lino Ventura, Hardy Kruger
  11. Le 7eme jure (1962) dir. Georges Lautner with Bernard Blier, Daniele Delorme
  12. Les risques du metier (1967) dir. Andre Cayatte with Jacques Brel
  13. Le pacha (1968) dir. Georges Lautner with Jean Gabin, Dany Carrel
None of them has forced subtitle.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
German releases are very handy for me in the UK, films that never got a region B release, like The Edge (1997) & 23 Paces To Baker Street (1956) released next month, in fact a lot of locked Blu-rays that Kino releases also turn up in Germany. And films that have no US or UK release, like A Good Year (2006) & The Getaway remake (1994) & The Great Waldo Pepper (1975). Various German companies license of lot of Fox, MGM & Universal catalogue titles. Here's a very handy site to check on what's coming:

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/demnaechst?id=2014-12

gonda

Agent
Real Name
Zoran Gonda
More French movies with English subtitles (not released in US or UK)
  1. Pattes blanches (1949) dir. Jean Gremillon with Suzy Delair, Fernand Ledoux
  2. Alexandre le Bienbeureux (1967) dir. Yves Robert with Philippe Noiret, Marlene Jobert
  3. Mort d'un pourri (1977) dir. Georges Lautner with Alain Delon

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
You might like our Blu-rays From Germany thread. Been going on for a long while but there's a treasure trove of good info in there. I recently commented on some James Stewart westerns from Germany.
I've been following the Blu-ray Discs from Germany thread since the start, Josh, but it's currently 50 pages and 1,000 posts long. There are a lot of titles buried in there, as well as many that have since been released in the US and UK. I figured a thread rounding up the ones that haven't, as well as those from France, provides little overlap.

Not all French discs have them. You might wish to wait for a review. Otherwise, if you have the means of removing forced French subtitles, that is an option upon which I cannot elaborate here.
I agree: many French discs don't have them and I intend to slowly go through my collection adding those that don't, as well as those that do! Re the method of removing forced subs, I'm happy to elaborate: it is, of course, to rip and reburn the discs, omitting the French sub stream – which is fair game for personal use. As for how to do it, that's definitely not for posting here! ;)

German release - Destry Rides Again
French release - Sweet Charity
French or Spanish release - Everyone Says I Love You (french has forced subs, spanish is removable)
Cheers, David: added. Re the latter film (1996) I did initially say pre-1980 only, but that's because I've loooads of German-only discs from after that date and thought the list might get too unmanageable. Bugger it: let's have films from any era and I'll try and keep up!

Thomas and Zoran: great idea – I already own many of the BDs you mentioned! I thought it would be impossible to list the multitude of French and German films with exclusive native BDs, but the ones with English subs are far fewer.

Cheers for the latter three suggestions Billy, but for serious collecting a multiregion set-up's a must. I'm satisfied if a film gets just one decent English-friendly BD; any more than that is a bonus!

Mods: please alter the thread title to: English-Friendly European Blu-rays Unreleased in the US, UK or Oz

Have added many more discs to the OP. :)

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mods: please alter the thread title to: English-Friendly European Blu-rays Unreleased in the US, UK or Oz

Done. Happy to help out.

I like the idea of this thread, Brent. I'm relatively new to being region-free in terms of viewing Blu-rays. I started this thread in which I openly solicited people to recommend films only available outside the US. I got a ton of good suggestions there (many of them from you!) of US films which are available but are non-Region A.

To have a list which tries to be comprehensive of such releases would be a very helpful resource for people like me.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If anyone knows of any Italian films with English subtitles never released in the U.S., it would be greatly appreciated. I've perused Amazaon.it and they don't seem to be very English subtitle friendly! :(

gonda

Agent
Real Name
Zoran Gonda
If anyone knows of any Italian films with English subtitles never released in the U.S., it would be greatly appreciated. I've perused Amazaon.it and they don't seem to be very English subtitle friendly! :(
I have two Italian films with English subtitles which are not released in US or UK:
  1. Sedotta e abandonatta (Seduced and Abandoned) 1964 dir. Pietro Germi with Stefania Sandrelli
  2. Pane e cioccolata (Bread and Chocolate) 1974 dir. Franco Brusati with Nino Manfredi

gonda

Agent
Real Name
Zoran Gonda
I also have the Japanese edition of David Lean's Summertime 1955 with Katharine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi. This Blu ray was never released in US or UK. The AV presentation is excellent. Japanese subtitles are optional.

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
There is a European edition on Blu ray of the terrific adaptation of 'The Count of Monte Cristo' with Gerard Depardieu and the wondrous Ornella Muti. But dammit, no English subtitles!
If word comes of an English-viewer friendly edition, please post the news.....

Kenneth_C

Second Unit

Two I own:

Mine Vaganti (Loose Cannons) 2010 dir. Ferzan Ozpetek
https://www.amazon.it/Mine-vaganti-Riccardo-Scamarcio/dp/B00416YSQG

Una Vita Tranquilla (One Quiet Life) 2010 dir. Claudio Cupellini
https://www.amazon.it/Una-vita-tranquilla-Toni-Servillo/dp/B004OHQXF6

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Elephant Films in France has recently released on Blu-ray, I Know Where I’m Going by The Archers (UK film with optional French subtitles).

https://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B075L1PT35

Very interested to read reviews by any members who’ve already bought this, as although it’s a favourite, the current price is a bit too steep for me to gamble on an Elephant Film, as their output has been of variable quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks