What's new

THE CARDINAL - 1963 (1 Viewer)

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I always liked Tom Tryon and thought he should have been a star, rather than the almost star he became. I also liked him in The Glory Guys as well as the two films with John Wayne (Longest Day & In Harm's Way).
Didn't he suffer because of his sexuality and lacking the protection Rock Hudson got his career went downhill as a result.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
There are some great actors in The Cardinal: Tom Tyron, John Huston, Romy Schneider, Carol Lynley, Burgess Meredith, Ossis Davis, Robert Morse and more. I’ve loved the film since original release.

The 2003 2 DVD WB reissue was a very nice presentation and the DVD is decent unconverted through my Blu-Ray player. I recently watched it again. But I would love to see a HD Blu-ray version of this film.

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
Didn't he suffer because of his sexuality and lacking the protection Rock Hudson got his career went downhill as a result.
Well he may have suffered as an actor but he laughed all the way to the bank as a best selling author of fiction… THE OTHER was a blockbuster bestselling novel. Doesn’t make up for the wonderful performances he might’ve given but I for one, thoroughly enjoyed his fiction. My Preminger holy grail film on Blu Ray is ADVISE and CONSENT… chock full of terrific performances, great cinematography and still relevantly all these years later… Anyone know if it’s out there? On the way?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Are you confusing him with George Nader?
I believe you are correct. Could also have been Tab Hunter.

Some Tom Tryon films/TV appearences.

I Married a Monster from Outer Space
Texas John Slaughter (episodes from Disneyland/ Disney's Wonderful World of Color)
3 Violent People (w/ Charlton Heston and Anne Baxter)
Moon Pilot ( Disney live action film)
Winchester 73 (1967) TV remake of James Stewart film
Something's Got To Give ( Marilyn Monroe final incompleted film. Remake of My Favorite Wife. He was supposed to play the Randolph Scott role from Wife. He was in a short scene included in scenes filmed for the movie that were put together for the documentry about the making of the film. About 29.30 in the attached clip.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I absolutely adored Tryon in The Story of Ruth, a gorgeous film that he unfortunately dies far too early in. I'm still hoping for a blu-ray of this and Walsh's Esther and the King, but since 20th Century Fox is in such treacherous waters these days I don't hold much hope anymore. Still, the French "Hollywood Classics" BD of The Virgin Queen (another fine Koster title) may be a sign that all may not be lost.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Still, the French "Hollywood Classics" BD of The Virgin Queen (another fine Koster title) may be a sign that all may not be lost.
Have you watched that French disc yet? Is it of high quality? There have been several European Blu-ray discs of 20th Century Fox movies which look as though they came off lack-lustre DVD transfers: The Iron Curtain and No Way Out being two examples.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Have you watched that French disc yet? Is it of high quality? There have been several European Blu-ray discs of 20th Century Fox movies which look as though they came off lack-lustre DVD transfers: The Iron Curtain and No Way Out being two examples.
I got the French disc and after watching ten minutes sent it back. It's terrible.
There are versions of Story of Ruth and Esther on the internet, though neither as yet on Blu Ray, and Esther is full screen. I have Esther on DVD, a not bad copy, but not HD quality.
Yet there is an absolutely gorgeous Blu Ray transfer of another Fox movie Tender Is the Night from a European source. So it's possible to do it well. The question is, if it's possible why don't they do it more often?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The French disc looks fine in my estimation, much better than the old DVD. Another BD of the Michael Rennie Les Miserables is also quite nice. Hoping for more from France or Germany as here stateside it's looking quite dire with Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks