What's new

The Beatles : Get Back Coming to Bluray ! (1 Viewer)

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Buy him a Blu-ray player. $30
Just take it over and hook it up for him.
That's a good idea, Tony, except for the fact that my friend wouldn't accept it. He's just resistant to electronic progress sometimes. He's perfectly satisfied with his DVD player. Besides, I've read that the Beatles documentary will be released on DVD as well as Blu-Ray, so he's covered.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's a good idea, Tony, except for the fact that my friend wouldn't accept it. He's just resistant to electronic progress sometimes. He's perfectly satisfied with his DVD player. Besides, I've read that the Beatles documentary will be released on DVD as well as Blu-Ray, so he's covered.

A friend of mine needed to buy a new DVD player about 10 years ago, and I convinced her to get a BD player. It wasn't much more expensive - like another $30 - and because she often borrowed review copies I received, it made sense since I was mainly BD at that point.

She whined and whined about how much she hated being an "early adopter" - even though BD had been around a good 5 years and was wholly mainstream.

She still thinks BD is a new technology now!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine needed to buy a new DVD player about 10 years ago, and I convinced her to get a BD player. It wasn't much more expensive - like another $30 - and because she often borrowed review copies I received, it made sense since I was mainly BD at that point.

She whined and whined about how much she hated being an "early adopter" - even though BD had been around a good 5 years and was wholly mainstream.

She still thinks BD is a new technology now!

I didn't know whether to respond with a sad emoji or a laughing emoji. Maybe a bit of both?

- Walter.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
A 3 Disc Set and it looks like NO Bonus Features. :confused: :(

Unless Disney+ pulls it, not much incentive to purchase the discs if you are a subscriber. The release could have easily included bonus footage, and although probably redundant now, it would have been nice to have included the original film.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I’ve been wondering that for years. There can’t be any real cost differences between making a DVD player vs a BD player anymore. All BD players are backward compatible as well
The patents for most, if not all, portions of DVD manufacture/distribution have expired. Those for blu ray don't expire until the end of 2025 which means you still have to pay a fee to manufacture players/recorders/dics. The last time I checked that was ~$7 for a player license, ~$10 for a player/recorder. And that's at the manufacturer level which typically means it adds ~$20 to the cost of a player.

I can purchase a basic DVD player today for ~$20 from almost any place that sells AV equipment (Big Lots has them on the shelf almost constantly). I've yet to find a BR player from a "major" vendor (BB, WM, Target, Amazon, etc.) for under ~$40 and *that* price is typically a sale/closeout price with the cheapest normally in the $50-$65 range. It's all due to those patent fees.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I’m a subscriber and have watched this 4 times, but I still want is Blu-ray copy, because I know it will eventually be pulled from steaming.
Yeah, it'd be one thing if Disney owned it but since they only licensed it and it's already coming to disc, I imagine the license is relatively short so in the future, it's the disc or perhaps nothing.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I enjoyed the series, I hope to watch it again. And I’m glad it’s getting a physical release, one of the few from the streaming world, another is The Crown.

gdog04

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Soria
While I'll buy this basic blu ray set, I'm sure The Beatles will offer a Special Super Deluxe Edition at the end of this year. There is talk on some Beatles' Forums that an expanded edition will come out in May to commemorate the anniversary of the release of Let It Be, but that's just speculation at this time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While I'll buy this basic blu ray set, I'm sure The Beatles will offer a Special Super Deluxe Edition at the end of this year. There is talk on some Beatles' Forums that an expanded edition will come out in May to commemorate the anniversary of the release of Let It Be, but that's just speculation at this time.
Yeah, if it was a studio releasing this in today's market, I'd say that this release is going to be the only one but since this movie is controlled by The Beatles, I'll probably wait to buy it until the end of the year just in case a bigger set (hopefully with Let It Be) comes out in the fall.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yeah, if it was a studio releasing this in today's market, I'd say that this release is going to be the only one but since this movie is controlled by The Beatles, I'll probably wait to buy it until the end of the year just in case a bigger set (hopefully with Let It Be) comes out in the fall.
Keep in mind that last fall’s Let It Be box set (the fourth such set in four years) did not contain any tracks from the rooftop concert. I could see a release with video and audio elements comprising a Get Back box, which could include Let It Be on Blu-ray.

Of course, I’ve also heard rumors that the next box set will go back to Rubber Soul.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Keep in mind that last fall’s Let It Be box set (the fourth such set in four years) did not contain any tracks from the rooftop concert. I could see a release with video and audio elements comprising a Get Back box, which could include Let It Be on Blu-ray.

Of course, I’ve also heard rumors that the next box set will go back to Rubber Soul.

Michael Lindsay-Hogg said in a few recent interviews that Apple told him his version of the Let It Be documentary would be re-released sometime after Jackson’s version had its day in the sun. I’m not gonna start holding my breath or anything but I wouldn’t be utterly shocked if something more deluxe than a barebones release of Get Back is coming one of these days that might have it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Michael Lindsay-Hogg said in a few recent interviews that Apple told him his version of the Let It Be documentary would be re-released sometime after Jackson’s version had its day in the sun. I’m not gonna start holding my breath or anything but I wouldn’t be utterly shocked if something more deluxe than a barebones release of Get Back is coming one of these days that might have it.
It also occurred to me the eventual Blu-ray release of the original recipe "Let It Be (1970)" might have got lost in the COVID shuffle that delayed the whole "Get Back" project by over a year. Let's hope not!

CHEERS! :)

gdog04

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Soria
It also occurred to me the eventual Blu-ray release of the original recipe "Let It Be (1970)" might have got lost in the COVID shuffle that delayed the whole "Get Back" project by over a year. Let's hope not!

CHEERS! :)
I'm sure it's back on track after the success of The Beatles Get Back series. Again, I assume it will come in a much larger, more expensive release at the end of this year...(fingers crossed).

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Still have Not seen a Review for The Beatles A Hard Day's Night 4K UHD coming from Criterion on Jan.18 ? :confused: Only 1 week away. Getting mine from Amazon on that day. Anyone read, or see any reviews yet ? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks