What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
After a last-minute recall earlier this year, Disney has finally released the 3-part mini-series The Beatles: Get Back on Blu-ray.

The Beatles: Get Back (2021)

Released: 25 Nov 2021
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: N/A

Director: Peter Jackson
Genre: Documentary, Biography, Music

Cast: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney
Writer(s): N/A

Plot: Documentary about the music group The Beatles featuring in-studio footage that was shot in early 1969 for the 1970 feature film 'Let It Be.'

IMDB rating: 9.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, English...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It would have been nice if they included as a extra the 1970 release of Let It Be so i can get rid of my only dvd bootleg.

Once upon a time, before the pandemic and before this became a 6-hour series, the plan was to release Let It Be with Get Back on Blu-ray. Of course, that was also before Disney+ was involved. FWIW, Apple still insists Let It Be will come out some day, but they’ve literally been saying that for 20 years.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Once upon a time, before the pandemic and before this became a 6-hour series, the plan was to release Let It Be with Get Back on Blu-ray. Of course, that was also before Disney+ was involved. FWIW, Apple still insists Let It Be will come out some day, but they’ve literally been saying that for 20 years.
Longer than that. In 1994, I saw a Coming Soon poster for "Let It Be" on laserdisc and VHS from MPI Home Video at the Tower Records in Bellevue, Washington. When the Beatles Anthology came out a few years later, the footage from "Let It Be" had been remastered beautifully from the 1980's video version, which was nice but also sad. Apple has done some great things with the Beatles' legacy, maintaining the public appetite for all things Beatles, but the continued lack of a proper "Let It Be" remains inexplicable to this Beatle nut, "Get Back" notwithstanding.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Longer than that. In 1994, I saw a Coming Soon poster for "Let It Be" on laserdisc and VHS from MPI Home Video at the Tower Records in Bellevue, Washington.
Let It Be was released in the 80s on home video. I have it (an official version) on CED, and I’m pretty sure it came out on VHS at the same time.

It has not been issued in nearly 40 years. In the early days of DVD, when the Beatles movies were coming out, it was said to be coming. Then, in 2003, they found a huge trove of stolen film from the Let It Be sessions, and the project was put on hold, although the companion album, Let It Be Naked, was released. We kept hearing “soon…soon…” from Paul and Ringo, until Peter Jackson’s film was announced in 2019.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have a laserdisc player and noticed on Ebay last year prices on the laserdisc starting at $500 and one seller had it listed for $1,200.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm still convinced that they're going to release a 'special edition' with Get Back, Let It Be and more outtakes sooner rather than later. The Beatles seem like one of the few things that can keep getting re-released in today's market.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I only watched this on Disney+, but there is no excuse for what Peter Jackson did to this 16mm film --- it did NOT have to look like this.

At this point I probably have more money than time left so I'll accept what I can see and hear. Looks better than what I can remember from Sullivan and 50 years of listening to music and movies have decreased my audio faculties more than a bit so perfection is lost on an old body & soul

My children can worry about getting perfect, but since they really aren't interested in 1960's history I think the soul part will be lost in their superior eyes and ears

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I got mine today from Best Buy. The picture is clean and spotless. But, .... No film grain at all ! :unsure: Some shots are Blurry. Close ups are better but No detail or Sharpness ! :huh: The 7.1 PCM Stereo is the best one for audio. If Let it Be (1970) gets released it will also look like this ? :confused: This will be the weakest PQ Bluray in my collection. :unsure: The Little Rascals Vol.1 Bluray from 1929-1930 looks Better !

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My kids really aren't too interested in The Beatles. However - my 2 oldest granddaughters (11yo and 15yo) are *huge* fans and will possibly be watching this with me (if they've not done so already as they have Disney+ at home).

Just yesterday a coworker (~50) said "The Beatles are over rated" (we were discussing the new Elvis movie and whether or not it was anything younger people would bother seeing). FWIW he went on to include Elvis, Dylan, The Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, and a few others - I generally regard him as rather clueless as to music history with his comments like that. While I generally disagree, that sentiment is shared by many in his generation and younger. I can't help but wonder just how much sales of Beatles music and movies will fall off as the Boomer generation dies.

My Target order is now showing a delivery date of Monday, July 18th... that's pushed back from the 12th...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At this point I probably have more money than time left so I'll accept what I can see and hear. Looks better than what I can remember from Sullivan and 50 years of listening to music and movies have decreased my audio faculties more than a bit so perfection is lost on an old body & soul

My children can worry about getting perfect, but since they really aren't interested in 1960's history I think the soul part will be lost in their superior eyes and ears

I think it just comes down to the idea that Peter Jackson was interested in creating a new work and wasn’t beholden to maintaining the stylistic attributes inherent in the original film elements. It wouldn’t be proper to give this treatment to the Let It Be film since that’s a completed work in its own right, but I see no issue with taking the same raw materials and using them differently. He employed the same techniques to great acclaim in his WWI documentary.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... Jackson *did* "film" The Hobbit with 48fps digital cameras which gave it a similar appearance as extreme digital scrubbing. That "soap opera" or TV look rather than film.

Todd Mattraw

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I think it just comes down to the idea that Peter Jackson was interested in creating a new work and wasn’t beholden to maintaining the stylistic attributes inherent in the original film elements. It wouldn’t be proper to give this treatment to the Let It Be film since that’s a completed work in its own right, but I see no issue with taking the same raw materials and using them differently. He employed the same techniques to great acclaim in his WWI documentary.

It simply looks awful. Different sure...awful different. But anyone is free to like it as he's presented it --- I sure don't.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

And I thought PJ's attempts to "modernize" the WWI footage were a disaster as well.

Just make the original footage look as good as possible while still allowing it to look like part of its era.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I would totally disagree about the WW1 footage. Jackson was able to bring it into the modern age. Instead of some far away antique, for the first time these young men were real and we could completely understand the sacrifices they made and the conditions they endured. Colour, cleaning up frames, adding sound, and 3D created an immediacy like never before.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I would totally disagree about the WW1 footage. Jackson was able to bring it into the modern age. Instead of some far away antique, for the first time these young men were real and we could completely understand the sacrifices they made and the conditions they endured. Colour, cleaning up frames, adding sound, and 3D created an immediacy like never before.

Or... it made the footage gimmicky and off-putting.

I never felt immersed in the material because it comes across like some CG reinvention of the footage.

It's never "real". The source has been manipulated to such extremes that it might as well be a cartoon.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Have you ever seen real colour footage of Adolph Hitler and WW 2? I had the same reaction as I did to the Jackson Footage. Everything was suddenly real.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks