What's new

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. ? (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I simply enjoyed other shows during the interim -- which is what many people will be doing for Brisco.
I'm one of them. I remember enjoying the show but I'm not dropping $70 on the hope that I still enjoy it. That being said, it's cool that it's being released at all and I hope it sells well if only so WB looks a little deeper into their vaults at more cult shows.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I'm one of them. I remember enjoying the show but I'm not dropping $70 on the hope that I still enjoy it. That being said, it's cool that it's being released at all and I hope it sells well if only so WB looks a little deeper into their vaults at more cult shows.
There you go. Very well said. You helped make my point. I just bought Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: S1-V1 based on my recollection of it from reruns in my childhood. On sale for $25, I thought it was a good value. I got about three episodes in...then gave up. It was immediately "gifted" to a friend who was thinking about buying it. For me, it ended up not being a good value, since I spent $25 for less than three hours of viewing.

On the other hand, that $25 was a lesson not to buy shows with the hope I'll still enjoy them, as you stated.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
I was really excited by this series release on DVD until I saw the MSRP. This was such a fun show. People talk about the extras. To me, extras are nice as an add-on but are never a selling point to me. I would have enjoyed watching this series again as one lump sum from beginning to end. Perhaps someday on ebay.....

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
No it doesnt - not by a long shot. Comparing hour long TV shows to Brisco, the numbers are WAY out of balance. The A Team, Knight Rider, Seaquest - even being just a touch shorter in length are still a WAY better value (and thats before figuring in the DDD sale price).
Is Brisco going to be double sided discs?

I think this is a better value than the Star Treks which I have not purchased but really want too, Babylon 5 too, I also think they are using the X-Files as a price and comparison as they debuted at round about the same time. With this, I can recreate a TV night, I only have X-Files Season 1 due to a sale of about thirtysomething, that is price not the show, and I am getting this and I assure you, at least to me, this holds up well, that is from video tapes. I think if you liked this then then you should like it now.

I will be getting this, I do not know if it will be day one though, it depends on how much money I have. If it times just right I could get it at DDD's 20% off sale, or some of those online places offer discounts at purchases over a certain price, I think this plus another more consistently priced item may qualify for a decent discount. Shop around when the time comes, I would be leery of preordering this item though as I am certain there will be a good sale near about its arrival.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I will be getting this set on release day, and I would like to personally thank Gord for all of his very personal efforts in helping get this one onto the shelves.

I was neither shocked nor repelled by the MSRP. Perhaps that's just because many of the shows I've actively collected tend to be on the pricier side...

Just a few examples of pricey (comparatively speaking) initial MSRPs:

La Femme Nikita - $100 for each 22-ep season so far (and, to be quite honest, I'd have snapped them all up at twice the price, because I love the show)

Monk - $60 for 13 eps (1st season) or 16 eps (all other seasons)

Andromeda - $70 for each 22-ep season so far

Hercules TLJ - $90/18 eps (S1), $90/24 eps (S2), $70/22 eps (S3, S4, S5), $40/8 eps (S6)

Xena TWP - $90/24 (1), $90/22 (S2, S3), $80/22 (S4, S5, S6)

Stargate Sg1 - $90/21 (S1), $70/22 (S2 - S7), $56/20 (S8)

I won't even go into the ST, XF, or HBO releases, all of which have already been brought up.

And, don't underestimate Bruce's fan base. Many of us have bought the same 3 movies (ED, ED2, and AOD) over...and over...and over...and over again... Without going to my shelf and doing a physical count, I've honestly lost track of how many different repackagings and re-releases there have been...and they always sell. And I'm one of the ones who always buys.

This ED phenomenon used to have its own section in the HTF FAQ, but it looks like the project got lost in one of the crashes. Bummer.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=120328

Section II - 15th topic in the list

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised by all the complaining about the price of the set. Warner Bros doesn't expect this to be a huge seller, more of a niche product, so they're expecting to move fewer sets than Babylon 5 or La Femme Nikita. It's 8 discs, which I don't think they've ever done in a set before (The OC was 7 discs), with 28 TV hours of material. That's already a lot of material, but they've also done a lot of extras. I attended the Writer's Round-up, and I can tell you it was hilarious. I haven't seen the finished featurette, but there was some great material discussed in the session, as well as LOTS of off-topic stuff. John McNamara (Lois & Clark, Fastlane), David Simkins (the new Blade TV series, Adventures in Babysitting), Brad Kern (Charmed), and two other people whose names I forget, joined Carlton Cuse (Nash Bridges) to talk about the show.

The $100 set will be knocked down to $70 in most stores. There won't be any music replaced, there won't be double-sided discs... the set will be great.

Gord

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
My only complaint on the price is I for one never seen this show before... and I find it hard to drop that approx. $70 on a blind buy I may not like. Since I don't have the option of renting... or the option of borrowing from a friend (no friends that collect DVDs) my only option is blind buying.

If I knew I would like it... I wouldn't mind the somewhat higher price. Just that in my opinion you won't see many ppl blind buying this one at such a price.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Try renting it at Netflix if you are uncertain but it is worth blind buying. I asked about double sided because examples given about price included doublesided discs, I am very glad these are single sided, I just hope and pray that they do not use those cases where they stack one disc on top of another. The main difference about this is the special treatment it is getting for a show that they probably would never have released had the fanbase not been so vocal. If this does well your favorite short lived not yet on or announced on DVD series from the WB vaults may be coming to DVD instead of never.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks Tory...
Unfortunately Netflix is not an option for me... I have trouble with mail around here.... it comes so extremely slow that Netflix is just not worth it for the price per month.

I am a really big Bruce Campbell fan... so I am still fighting with myself... because I do want to check it out.

I also hate those overlapping disc cases... I personally am hoping for 4 double thinpaks in a slipcase.

If I could find this one for between $50 and $60 I would probably do it. Which is higher then I would normally do a blind buy... but more then that... I am just very nervous with the idea.

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in for this. $100 msrp was a little striking at first but for over 26hrs of entertainment + extras + the fact it will shelf at a little cheaper price = me not passing it up.

This and Chronicles of Young Indiana Jones were two release I've been waiting on for a long time. Now for Indiana dangit!!!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
God, you have got to be kidding. $100? I used to love this show and while the second season wasn't all that great, the first season seemed to be a bit more of comedic adventures than anything else.

I wouldn't even consider buying this set at such a high price point. You'd think that if they were concerned that they wouldn't move many they would lower the price point.

With all of the hits that the TV Shows on DVD industry have been taking about such as low sales on older shows and the fact that the industry has softened and such shows are having their prices lowered or not being released altogether.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
imho, it didn't hold up to its age. it was entertaining when i was in the early teens, but certainly doesn't hold a candle to even gunsmoke or the like. 2slapstick for its own good. my advice: rent it.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
hmmm... slapstick don't bother me... I like slapstick comedy... always have... so for me that just may be another plus for buying it. :)

I am not a huge western fan... I would be buying this for the Bruce Campbell comedy more then the western aspect.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It always struck me as an intelligent comedy, not to broad but very aware of itself. There were many parodies of current popular culture and it was certainly easy to know that the actors, directors, producers, etc. were all winking to the audience. Word plays abound.

AOL tv has episodes for download if you want to check them out. I watched one last night and still found myself chuckling. I believe it has held up very well.

If you can find some Sherrif Aaron episodes (think Bubba Ho-Tep), yo u will find some funny. :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I am not a huge western fan... I would be buying this for the Bruce Campbell comedy more then the western aspect.
Truth be told, it's only called a western because it's set in nineteenth-century California and the costumes match. The show happily throws genre in the blender with a great deal of comedy, light romance, and mostly science fiction. The macrostory for the first half of the series is Brisco and outlaw John Bly struggling for possession of a mysterious super-tech artifact, and gleefully anachronistic technology shows up throughout.

Yeah, the characters wear hats and ride horses. But thematically, if Brisco is a western, so is Supernatural.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
My goodness- I remember Aaron Viva! Was he any relation to you-know-who? Maybe the extras will give more explanations regarding the infamous orb. One of my favorite episodes had a Psycho parody in it, complete with "rain bath"!

Despite the cost dilemma, I am so looking forward to hear Dixie Cousins asking every man in sight to help her "find (her) claim". If the people at Warner Bros. were really smart, they would have done a feature film right after the series ended. Oh, well.......

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm not a huge fan, maybe this was a candidate for Split volumes at a lower cost, but I've sworn off Expensve sets. I Love Deadwood and the Sopranos and Rome but I won't pay the $99 tag, I'll Netflix them and briscoe and wait for the inevitable price drop or in the case of the HBO shows the Inevitable HD Versions

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks