What's new

The Best Disc Commentary? (1 Viewer)

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
What this thread is about, is asking people to put in this thread, some of the best commentary on disc they have ever heard, and any reasons why as well. I'll start off.

The absolute best I have ever heard, depending on what you're looking for, was the Land of the Lost commentary for the original dvd sets. It featured the two main stars, both Kathy Coleman and Wesley😅😅😅😅😅. Those two were born to do commentary, at least of something they starred in. In a number of spots, they're dropdead hilarious, and I must say, I will probably NEVER get rid of that set for that very reason. You're lucky if you can get it even used these days (at least if trying to use amazon). There was a later set that came out, which I didn't buy, and I've heard it has no commentary. I have heard a lot of commentary, as I usually will bother with all of it on discs, just as long as they don't put me to sleep. Kathy and Wesley ridicule that show, which is exceedingly rare for commentary, among doing more usual sort of commentary. These two played brother and sister on the show, but to hear them on the commentary, they sound as if they are brother and sister, yes, brother and sister that crack each other up. BTW, one of their jokes is where you saw the emojis. Wesley's last name is not credited at the beginning of each episode (whether through all three years or not, I don't recall), and Wesley mentions that a number of times in commentary. I really wish those two would do commentary on other things they hadn't starred in, because they have potential like crazy. They seem to be naturals for the MST3K series. How could a program be so cheap, they forgot to put a main star's last name? I mean if Elvis starred in it okay, but just Wesley? I will honor this exclusion by absolutely refusing to put his last name here either. Let the legend live on.

I would say my second best selection would be for ANY Dr Who discs (at least the original 5-6 doctors). My only interest in Who, was some of the girls, some of the interaction, but what really makes it good for me is the commentary, because though it has very little humor usually, you can depend on ever single episode (usually four or more episodes per show) having commentary, and to tell the truth, if it weren't for the girls I would hate this show, but even with that only passing interest in it, to have such solid commentary is really interesting.

Now I'll admit, most series don't have memorable commentary, because off the top of my head, that's all I can come up with. So you see on the one hand, LOTL was massively enhanced by their occasional episode commentary (to see Spencer Milligan get electrocuted, and them break out in uncontrolled laughter, is priceless (Great acting by Spencer Milligan on that scene incidentally). I just wish I could find it on youtube. On the other hand you have the sort of commentary that is so good, because it's overwhelming in quantity, even though it's probably as good as most, even if it were more sporadic; such as from Dr Who.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I like the commentaries that Dick Van Dyke and Carl Reiner did for a handful of episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show.
I heard that, since I have the BD set (I'm definitely not a DVD fan at all), but as I was trying to maneuver around the options, etc, for some reason I just gave up on extras. I know I did at least the first commentary, but it seemed the next one I did was the same commentary, or maybe it was just so much the same as the first. Do you have any idea how many unique commentaries were on the set. Are you talking about the complete series on BD, or a single season, or what? I would say that commentary I did hear, was probably better than most I hear, again, even if I'm not a big fan. Thanks for the comments.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Andrew J.Klyde and others in episode commentaries in the Bonanza DVD sets, He was quite knowledgeable as an expert on the series!
Thanks for the comments. Was this a single season set, a few seasons, the complete collection (if there is such a thing)?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
IMHO the best commentary track is on USED CARS (1980). Star Kurt Russell, director/writer Robert Zemeckis and producer/writer Bob Gale are a blast to listen to. Kurt Russell is constantly cracking up throughout. The track is on the original Sony DVD release and on the Shout Factory Blu-ray. I'm not sure if it was ported over for the Twilight Time release.

EDIT: Sorry! I just now noticed this was meant for the TV forum and not feature films.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know of any major TV commentaries. The Classic Doctor Who ones were decent, but not spectacular or anything.

The best commentaries I've heard overall were UHF, Cannibal: The Musical, and Fantastic Four 2005.

UHF is, IMO, is what every commentary should be.

Oh, and the Spinal Tap MGM commentary. It's basically a second movie.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
IMHO the best commentary track is on USED CARS (1980). Star Kurt Russell, director/writer Robert Zemeckis and producer/writer Bob Gale are a blast to listen to. Kurt Russell is constantly cracking up throughout. The track is on the original Sony DVD release and on the Shout Factory Blu-ray. I'm not sure if it was ported over for the Twilight Time release.
Hmm, wonder if LOTL would compete for commentary dominance with it, because that sounds pretty good. Seems I recall the They Live and Big Trouble in Little China ones were good too. But despite my not saying it, I was really shooting for tv seasons instead, because I think it's more difficult to do commentary for seasons, (well maybe not) but also there's lots more commentary possible for them to do, and also I'm not so much about movies.

I think in LOTL's case, they had some five hours altogether to do. Thanks for the comments. It seems to me the Farscape series commentary was good too, but unfortunately I got that on loaner from my brother.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I don't know of any major TV commentaries. The Classic Doctor Who ones were decent, but not spectacular or anything.

The best commentaries I've heard overall were UHF, Cannibal: The Musical, and Fantastic Four 2005.

UHF is, IMO, is what every commentary should be.

Oh, and the Spinal Tap MGM commentary. It's basically a second movie.
I disagree with you really, as you should had guessed. The Who commentary was very good, because as I alluded to earlier, it was MASSIVE. You put a mere four episode sort of movie, and yet get every single second of that show, commented on as it's running. That's unheard of in the commentary world from what I've seen, and usually it's with at least the two main actors doing it - nowhere else. Of course Who is a drag, but the commentary lifts it up substantially. Of course, if one doesn't like commentary, that won't matter. Thanks for the comments all the same.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I heard that, since I have the BD set (I'm definitely not a DVD fan at all), but as I was trying to maneuver around the options, etc, for some reason I just gave up on extras. I know I did at least the first commentary, but it seemed the next one I did was the same commentary, or maybe it was just so much the same as the first. Do you have any idea how many unique commentaries were on the set. Are you talking about the complete series on BD, or a single season, or what? I would say that commentary I did hear, was probably better than most I hear, again, even if I'm not a big fan. Thanks for the comments.

The Dick Van Dyke Show commentaries have been present ever since the original DVD format season releases (And the original 2005 complete series set) and were ported forward with the Blu-Ray's (I'm unsure if they're present on the newest DVD format season sets and complete series release from circa 2015 that utilized the new transfers done for the Blu-Rays, which are described as "episode only releases" in descriptions).

On the Blu-Ray releases, here are how the commentaries are arranged. Discs are identical between season sets and the complete series release.

Season 1 (Disc 2): Episode 19 (Where Did I Come From?) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 1 (Disc 3): Episode 29 (The Sleeping Brother) by Dick Van Dyke and Carl Reiner
Season 2 (Disc 1): Episode 34 (The Attempted Marriage) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 2 (Disc 1): Episode 37 (My Husband Is Not a Drunk) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 2 (Disc 1): Episode 41 (A Bird in the Head Hurts) by Rose Marie, Larry Mathews and Ann Morgan Guilbert
Season 2 (Disc 3): Episode 53 (All About Eavesdropping) by Rose Marie, Larry Mathews and Ann Morgan Guilbert
Season 3 (Disc 1): Episode 64 (That's My Boy??) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 3 (Disc 3): Episode 90 (October Eve) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 4 (Disc 3): Episode 121 (Never Bathe on Saturday) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 4 (Disc 3): Episode 124 (Baby Fat) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 4 (Disc 3): Episode 124 (Baby Fat) by Garry Marshall
Season 5 (Disc 1): Episode 128 (Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 5 (Disc 2): Episode 148 (Dear Sally Rogers) by Rose Marie, Larry Matthew and Bill Idelson
Season 5 (Disc 3): Episode 158 (The Gunslinger) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke

I've only ever watched the ones with Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke, but they're each unique, episode specific, and fun to listen to as a Dick Van Dyke Show fan (I've listened to each multiple times). I think I briefly fired up one of the commentaries once with the other cast members and didn't stick with it for long, but should try again.

They didn't overdo the number of episodes covered by Dick Van Dyke and Carl Reiner, so very little of the content is regurgitated from one commentary to the next. Each commentary track feels fresh and unique, thanks in large part to Carl Reiner's memories of the show still being so sharp in the early to mid 2000's (40 years after the show left the air, yet he leaves the viewer wondering if he's ever forgotten anything about the show).

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
C.H.U.D. Stearn and Heard drinking while talking...classic!
Probably you'll think this totally unrelated (thanks for the comments BTW), but I could laugh while drinking🤣. It wouldn't be remarkable at all really, but I have this stilted shorter way of laughing as I'm drinking, which of course doesn't happen too much. But the weird thing about it was there was a guy in our department who laughed a kind of weird way. I can imitate a decent amount of celebrity voices, but I've never been able to get a laugh down, and I've never tried, as it just seems beyond me. But when I drink and laugh, I sound exactly like that guy I mentioned, and it's so freaky, because I have no reason to imitate him, and he was freaked out by it too. Actually, my minor talent for doing voices, is pretty much unknown to those people I worked with. I think the only time I was doing it on a fairly regular basis, when was when I was doing english accents a lot during my first job, just for non-drinking laughs.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
The Dick Van Dyke Show commentaries have been present ever since the original DVD format season releases (And the original 2005 complete series set) and were ported forward with the Blu-Ray's (I'm unsure if they're present on the newest DVD format season sets and complete series release from circa 2015 that utilized the new transfers done for the Blu-Rays, which are described as "episode only releases" in descriptions).

On the Blu-Ray releases, here are how the commentaries are arranged. Discs are identical between season sets and the complete series release.

Season 1 (Disc 2): Episode 19 (Where Did I Come From?) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 1 (Disc 3): Episode 29 (The Sleeping Brother) by Dick Van Dyke and Carl Reiner
Season 2 (Disc 1): Episode 34 (The Attempted Marriage) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 2 (Disc 1): Episode 37 (My Husband Is Not a Drunk) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 2 (Disc 1): Episode 41 (A Bird in the Head Hurts) by Rose Marie, Larry Mathews and Ann Morgan Guilbert
Season 2 (Disc 3): Episode 53 (All About Eavesdropping) by Rose Marie, Larry Mathews and Ann Morgan Guilbert
Season 3 (Disc1): Episode 64 (That's My Boy??) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 3 (Disc3): Episode 90 (October Eve) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 4 (Disc3): Episode 121 (Never Bathe on Saturday) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 4 (Disc3): Episode 124 (Baby Fat) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 4 (Disc3): Episode 124 (Baby Fat) by Garry Marshall
Season 5 (Disc 1): Episode 128 (Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke
Season 5 (Disc 2): Episode 148 (Dear Sally Rogers) by Rose Marie, Larry Matthew and Bill Idelson
Season 5 (Disc 3): Episode 158 (The Gunslinger) by Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke

I've only ever watched the ones with Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke, but they're each unique, episode specific, and fun to listen to as a Dick Van Dyke Show fan (I've listened to each multiple times). I think I briefly fired up one of the commentaries once with the other cast members and didn't stick with it for long, but should try again.

They didn't overdo the number of episodes covered by Dick Van Dyke and Carl Reiner, so very little of the content is regurgitated from one commentary to the next. Each commentary track feels fresh and unique, thanks in large part to Carl Reiner's memories of the show still being so sharp in the early to mid 2000's (40 years after the show left the air, yet he leaves the viewer wondering if he's ever forgotten anything about the show).
Oh great, so there is more to it then. I don't know if I will stomach it so much, but I'll definitely have to give it a try at some point. Thanks again. I hope I'll have enough sense to consult this when I do.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The cast commentaries on the S1-8 Red Dwarf DVD sets are wonderful. I'll second the opinion that many of the classic Doctor Who DVD/BD commentaries are first-rate, especially the moderated ones. While he's on the outs now, Joss Whedon provided some very insightful commentaries for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly. Some of Network and Umbrella's DVD sets for various ITC series have some terrific commentaries, especially those with Roger Moore (on The Saint) and Peter Wyngarde (Department S). I also very much enjoyed the five commentary tracks on The Westerner, done by three very knowledgeable Sam Peckinpah's experts, and moderated by the late Nick Redman. All of the above are chock full of content, no long stretches of dead air, my pet peeve with many subpar commentary tracks.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
The cast commentaries on the S1-8 Red Dwarf DVD sets are wonderful. I'll second the opinion that many of the classic Doctor Who DVD/BD commentaries are first-rate, especially the moderated ones. While he's on the outs now, Joss Whedon provided some very insightful commentaries for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly. Some of Network and Umbrella's DVD sets for various ITC series have some terrific commentaries, especially those with Roger Moore (on The Saint) and Peter Wyngarde (Department S). I also very much enjoyed the five commentary tracks on The Westerner, done by three very knowledgeable Sam Peckinpah's experts, and moderated by the late Nick Redman. All of the above are chock full of content, no long stretches of dead air, my pet peeve with many subpar commentary tracks.
Well Jeff, you do it again. Yes, I would imagine RD commentary would be hilarious. I have only the first six episodes, and I cannot recall the commentary, if any, but I think Lister was doing it, and maybe even Rimmer. I think I listened to the commentary only once, but played the show proper probably five to six times by now. I've always had a sort of draw to somebody living alone (though Lister does very briefly) and, of course, I live that way myself.

My goodness, you sound like you put my commentary somewhat obsession, to shame. You're the guy to go to for commentary apparently. Oh man, I would love to own The Saint and hear Roger, I've always loved Roger. You just gave me one more reason to buy the series. Does he isolate his commentary on just one season, or is the entire series laden with at least a commentary every six episodes? You just made my day here. I do have Department S too, and yes it did seem Wyngarde was very good. Super entry Jeff, if only because we have two mentions you did, that in one case peaks my interest, and in the other, at least reminds me that some commentary beyond Land of the Lost, is worth going back to (RD).

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
You know one mode of commentary that is fascinating? And I only say this because you're my official commentary aficionado now, so if anybody would understand this, you would. The commentary I will mention, came from I think it was the Twilight Zone BD set. What made me think it was anything special, was that you mentioned having dead air, because those guys do that at times, but, believe it or not, in their case, it actually makes it more intriguing, and if TZ is that way, it really adds to the production because it's so unusual.

Now, you probably think that's awful, but there was just something very almost gripping with the way they did it, probably an accident if anything. There was one guy the sounded very sophisticated who would basically do the announcements involving basic facts of an episode. while the other was more you ordinary guy with a joke or two. What was kind of weird, would be when they both would laugh when the more regular guy would crack a joke. I don't know what more to tell you, but it's a refreshing style, but while the dead spots were numerable, oddly enough it actually seemed to enhance what they did. But the key was, you had to go through one of their commentaries, to know, they DO NOT give up on it because they stopped talking, and when they come back, especially if you're a TZ freak, it's all the more worth waiting for. I don't know, for some reason the whole setup left me intrigued with the odd style, and considering this was TZ, it just basically fit right in, because part of it was, you breaking from the guys, and hearing some regular TZ during the interval, and once you got into that, then they come back. I don't know, it's just weird, but it may be the only time I have ever stuck out excess dead space. It's like they have a machine of commentary on their desk and they have to wind it up during dead spaces, for the commentary to continue.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
I’m going on 10+ year old memories, but I enjoyed the commentaries on a Police Woman DVD just for the banter between Earl Holiman and Angie Dickinson, and Mannix season 1 for the same reason with Mike Connors and Joe Campanella. At one point I believe Connors remarks that he either still had the sport coat he’s wearing or just recently gave it to someone. It’s nice to hear some genuine warmth between the actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks