What's new

The A-Team, Magnum PI, & The Incredible Hulk announced... (1 Viewer)

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
for a blu-ray release in the UK.

dvdcompare.net has this posted:

We are proud to have been given the go ahead to reveal some upcoming releases from Fabulous Films. Although details of the releases are yet unconfirmed, they should all be released by October ready for Christmas! The releases are *drum roll please*:
- The A-Team: The Complete Series
- Knight Rider: The Complete Series
- Miami Vice: The Complete Series
- Magnum P.I.: The Complete Series
- The Incredible Hulk: The Complete Series

Some cracking announcements for fans of retro television!

Fabulous Films has a sketchy track record, but hopefully those titles that have NOT been released in the states will be coming soon here. If not, it's the UK sets for me with The A-Team and The Incredible Hulk.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad they're doing complete series releases, ever since Quantum Leap on Blu seems to have stalled and disappeared in Australia.

And I hope QL is part of a next wave of releases, since the UK didn't have the music issues of the US.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
so which of these would actually be viable on blu-ray? Wouldn't at least some of these have been filmed on videotape?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
so which of these would actually be viable on blu-ray? Wouldn't at least some of these have been filmed on videotape?
I distinctly remember all of the listed series being recorded on Film! ;)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist responding in kind to your unintentional gaffe. They were all filmed, though! :)

As I recall, videotape was used mostly in the realm of sitcoms, game shows, variety shows, and other programming of that sort, at least in the 1970s - 80s.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully The Incredible Hulk will be released on Blu in the US
Didn't we just get a Mill Creek announcement for Knight Rider on Blu?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hopefully The Incredible Hulk will be released on Blu in the US
Didn't we just get a Mill Creek announcement for Knight Rider on Blu?
I believe there have been Blu-ray announcements for KNIGHT RIDER and MIAMI VICE, the latter which surprised me as it seemed to be virtually on the heels of Mill Creek's DVD release of the same!

CHEERS! :)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I hope the transfers for the A-Team have been cleaned up. I watch it often on Netflix, and while it certainly looks better than the standard SD we saw on TV, it isn't up to par with the new Emergency! transfers. Speaking of Emergency!, I hope it gets a blu release soon.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Speaking of Emergency!, I hope it gets a blu release soon.

Sadly, those great new transfers for Emergency! were not used in the Complete Series set on standard DVD, so a Blu release is probably not gonna happen. If Universal can't be bothered to release the show in remastered condition for standard DVD, then why would they bother with a Blu-ray release? Seems to me that they think there doesn't seem to be a much of a market for Emergency!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sadly, those great new transfers for Emergency! were not used in the Complete Series set on standard DVD, so a Blu release is probably not gonna happen. If Universal can't be bothered to release the show in remastered condition for standard DVD, then why would they bother with a Blu-ray release? Seems to me that they think there doesn't seem to be a much of a market for Emergency!

Because IIRC, the new DVDs just required repressing the discs to get rid of the flippers. All of the DVD releases are just using what they had ready to squeeze a few more bucks profit out.

But wouldn't a blu release involve a bit more work, so using the new masters would be the logical choice?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And to follow up a bit more...

Once the work is done for a set, it seems that Universal DOES NOT revisit it.

Take season 14 of Law and Order, for example... they released it originally shortly around the time Jerry Orbach died in 2005. It was on flippers, cropped at 1.33:1 and syndication edits were used.

When the complete series was released 5 years later, the same files were used, even though the seasons surrounding it that were new to disc were all proper widescreen and original broadcast length. The only change was they used single sided discs for the set

And they had another chance to rectify the mistake when S14 was re-released as a single set a couple years ago. But once again, same incorrect length and aspect ratio, just on single sided discs.

So, just because Uni used the old masters for a DVD complete series rerelease doesn't mean they would do that for blu. But most of the time, once a set is locked for DVD, that's it, game over.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Then why go to the trouble of striking new transfers at all?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Interview conducted. One huge reveal of another classic TV show for sometime in 2017 (that hasn't been announced anywhere in the world yet AFAIK), a little pricing estimate (not concrete) and a few other interesting bits and bobs makes for an interesting read. Hopefully will have it online within a few days
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12556232&postcount=103
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12556232&postcount=103
and it isn't "Murder, she wrote".

Hope for Dynasty, as it has HD ready transfers as I've seen.
More of all I'd love Beauty and the Beast but I doubt it.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Streaming, syndication, and most importantly, didn't the old transfers of some of the seasons that have new transfers fall victim to the great Universal fire of 2008, so they needed new transfers?

I believe that when MeTV started airing Emergency!, the early seasons were not from the batch of new transfers. The openings were all mixed up like they were on the DVD sets. It wasn't until roughly a year and half ago that I started to notice that seasons 1-4 stated airing with the correct openings and that the picture was greatly improved. So, if my memory is correct, then MeTV had a compete set of transfers from after the fire (those that looked like they were prepared for the DVD releases) and only recently started to air the newer set of transfers.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Then why go to the trouble of striking new transfers at all?

Like Robert said above, to preserve the series for syndication and streaming. We've seen this before. Not all shows that get new transfers struck are intended for retail release either DVD or Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks