What's new

Magnum, P. I. Blu-ray Set (1 Viewer)

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
So Magnum is available on Blu-ray in the UK, a region locked set. I’m tempted to buy it even though it doesn’t have subtitles. I’m just astounded we have had no Blu-ray release here in the US. Mill Creek released other Universal properties like Miami Vice, Rockford Files, Knight Rider but they did not get rights for MPI.
Anyone heard about a US Blu-ray release?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have heard nothing about a US release. The UK release is leased to 3rd party called Fabulous Films, which also has the rights to blu rays of "The A Team" , "The Incredible Hulk", "Knight Rider", "Airwolf", and "Quantum Leap" among others. I don't think Rockford Files has been released in the UK except as a US import. There does not appear to be a correlation between what Universal leases to Mill Creek in the US and Fabulous Films in the UK. Fabulous Films sets appear to be quite expensive and rarely on sale at Amazon.co.uk. Discounts when they happen have been small.

You have probably heard this before but perhaps Universal will lease out the blu ray of "Magnum PI", if the pilot for the remake with a female Higgins, is picked up to series. We will know if CBS buys the remake soon.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The Fabulous Films blu-ray of Magnum P.I. was worth the purchase price for me. The set has some advantages over the Universal DVD set other than an improved picture. I listed them on another thread, but mainly there was a segment of the two hour season seven premiere "L.A," that was missing. If you own the R1 Universal DVD, you won't see this scene.

Or September 1982 Playboy Playmate Kimberly McArthur.

Season seven of the blu -ray also contains an alternate, stand alone ending to the Murder She Wrote crossover, "Novel Connection".
vlcsnap-2018-05-07-05h46m27s316.png
Magnum is not arrested for homicide in this version and the suspect confessed. Jessica flys home off screen and case closed.

All of the DVD special features are intact on the blu-ray. Including commentaries.
vlcsnap-2018-05-07-05h54m38s726.png

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2018-05-07-05h38m19s903.png
    vlcsnap-2018-05-07-05h38m19s903.png
    924.9 KB · Views: 467

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Fabulous Films blu-ray of Magnum P.I. was worth the purchase price for me. The set has some advantages over the Universal DVD set other than an improved picture. I listed them on another thread, but mainly there was a segment of the two hour season seven premiere "L.A," that was missing. If you own the R1 Universal DVD, you won't see this scene.

Season seven of the blu -ray also contains an alternate, stand alone ending to the Murder She Wrote crossover, "Novel Connection".
View attachment 46133
Magnum is not arrested for homicide in this version and the suspect confessed. Jessica flys home off screen and case closed.

All of the DVD special features are intact on the blu-ray. Including commentaries.
View attachment 46134

Ha! That scene with the Playmate is hilarious! You can tell she was disappointed Magnum (a.k.a "sushi man") left...

Sounds like the Blu-Ray set is the way to go. We'll see how much I enjoy the first couple of seasons of the show on DVD...if it still holds up well for me (and I have a feeling it will), then I'll contemplate springing for the Region B Blu...it's too expensive for me to pull the trigger right now.

Last edited:

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold

View attachment 46133

View attachment 46134

Thanks for the clip, I knew about it but haven’t seen it since I have the Universal DVD sets. I’ve read mixed reviews of the PQ of the FF set. What are your thoughts on it? I used to think my DVD sets looked good, now they look washed out on color, hazy, etc.
Subtitles are very important for my ability to watch and enjoy TV or movies. So many of the classics I want have been released with no subtitles and it’s difficult for me to buy something that doesn’t satisfy my needs as regards to subs.
MPI may be an exception because I’ve seen the show many times so it’s not like I will watch an episode and not know what is happening. Plus I have the DVD sets so if there’s something I don’t remember and can’t understand I can always reference them.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
FYI per a review of the blu ray set:

"Sadly the cross over episodes that dovetailed in with Simon & Simon and Murder She Wrote only contain the Magnum episodes. They don't include the other half of the story which was broadcast as part of the other shows output. "

As mentioned above alternate scene(s) are included on the "Murder She Wrote" episode that are used in syndication to complete the story. I would assume this is also true of the Simon and Simon crossover.

Was the show orginally edited on 480i video as other shows were in the 1980's ? Apparently they went back to the original film elements for the blu ray. They wouldn't have all the special effects of say Star Trek: The Next Generation to do over on Magnum.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
What are your thoughts on it? I used to think my DVD sets looked good, now they look washed out on color, hazy, etc.
Subtitles are very important for my ability to watch and enjoy TV or movies. So many of the classics I want have been released with no subtitles and it’s difficult for me to buy something that doesn’t satisfy my needs as regards to subs.
The FF blu-ray does not have subtitles. As to the picture quality, I think they look great. Perfect, no. But much better than DVD. My screen captures earlier are from the blu-ray set.

Was the show orginally edited on 480i video as other shows were in the 1980's ?
Magnum was shot and edited on film. There were different Directors of Photography in the early years, and you can tell certain ones preferred a softer look than others.
vlcsnap-2018-05-07-15h33m49s890.png
vlcsnap-2018-05-07-15h38m57s167.png
vlcsnap-2018-05-07-15h37m48s875.png

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Magnum was shot and edited on film. There were different Directors of Photography in the early years, and you can tell certain ones preferred a softer look than others.
Was post work completed on film for the entire run? Many shows that spanned the 80s were finished on film in the earlier years, then switched to tape sometime in the mid-80s.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Many shows that spanned the 80s were finished on film in the earlier years, then switched to tape sometime in the mid-80s.

I think all the major prime serials of the 80s (Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing, and Falcon Crest) were like that as well.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Was post work completed on film for the entire run? Many shows that spanned the 80s were finished on film in the earlier years, then switched to tape sometime in the mid-80s.
Magnum P.I. never switched to video for post. I gave screen shots of various seasons above without labeling them. but the quality never dropped in later years.

Season 2 1982. "Italian Ice"
vlcsnap-2018-05-08-15h09m16s329.png

Season 7 1987. "Solo Flight"
vlcsnap-2018-05-08-15h15m08s219.png

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I was pretty much, for better or worse, at the mercy of my parents in the 80's on what to watch. Friday nights were my night for the TV and Saturday mornings. My mom likes Magnum, P.I., but I don't remember much of her watching it. Of course if my dad wasn't into something, no one else got to watch it. Just like the Hawaii Five-0 thread, I'm kinda looking forward to learning more about the series here. Once I can get my disability going or a settlement from the hit and run, I might have to put this on the wish list.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have heard nothing about a US release. The UK release is leased to 3rd party called Fabulous Films, which also has the rights to blu rays of "The A Team" , "The Incredible Hulk", "Knight Rider", "Airwolf", and "Quantum Leap" among others. I don't think Rockford Files has been released in the UK except as a US import. There does not appear to be a correlation between what Universal leases to Mill Creek in the US and Fabulous Films in the UK. Fabulous Films sets appear to be quite expensive and rarely on sale at Amazon.co.uk. Discounts when they happen have been small.

You have probably heard this before but perhaps Universal will lease out the blu ray of "Magnum PI", if the pilot for the remake with a female Higgins, is picked up to series. We will know if CBS buys the remake soon.
El Rey Network has been showing most of the above mentioned series. The Incredible Hulk is astounding in HD quality. The DVD's left a lot to be desired in comparison. Netflix had quite a few of the Universal series in streaming HD. Too bad they quit showing them.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
CBS has picked up the MPI reboot. Guess it’s a wait and see as to whether this has an impact for a Blu-ray release of the original series.

If in fact there is an American Magnum Blu, would it be Mill Creek who's behind it, as has been for Miami Vice, Knight Rider, and The Rockford Files?

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
If in fact there is an American Magnum Blu, would it be Mill Creek who's behind it, as has been for Miami Vice, Knight Rider, and The Rockford Files?

No, MC has already stated they do not have the rights to release MPI. Hopefully Universal does it, I have a much better chance to get subtitles and better quality in general.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
No, MC has already stated they do not have the rights to release MPI. Hopefully Universal does it, I have a much better chance to get subtitles and better quality in general.

Did not read the thread, thus did not know; nonetheless, I do hope that Universal (if they do a Magnum Blu) knocks it out of the park!

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I don’t remember if it was on this thread or not, I have posted about an MPI Blu-ray Set on other forums and I’ve read more than a few places where MC was contacted and their response was negative. I watch a lot of movies and have a sizable collection but I also watch a lot of TV shows and they’re a big part of my regular viewing. MPI is my number uno show so I’ve been fairly active researching about it having a domestic release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks