What's new

Suggestions for 4K with region free Blu-ray playback (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Okay finally time to go all regional Blu-ray, slow up grades to everything else, so now I need a 4K player that can be region free on Blu-rays because I'm starting to pick up a lot of stuff from the UK that's region B locked. Back in the day I would have said the Oppo but I didn't pick one up the new one from France looks good but it appears to be only region B I Need A and B and possibly C looking for suggestions.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just an alternate suggestion. I have several Region B Blu-Rays and years ago had planned to use my Oppo BDP-103 for them, and got a hardware hack for it. Ultimately I didn't like the hassle of region changes, and instead stored the movies on an SSD and play them back that way. I can't go into the specifics here, but it's easy enough to find. Just something to consider.

As far as the other brand player you mentioned, I have one and can't recommend them.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I’ve heard good things about 220 Electronics. I’m looking at a Sony X700, but it doesn’t have particularly good ratings at Amazon, although Crutchfield audio likes it.
I’d love to find one that isn’t hacked.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
FWIW, I have an LG 4K non-region-free player for my UHDs. I have a separate LG BD region-free player that I use for Region B BDs. It's a pain to change the region on it, so I just keep it set to Region B, and use the 4K player to play Region A discs. I don't have any Region C BDs, so I don't have to worry about those.

My region-free BD player will also play DVDs from any region without needing to switch regions, so I also use that for my non-Region 1 DVDs.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's not clear from your original post, but if you already have a region-free blu-ray player, I wouldn't bother getting a region-free UHD player, as well. UHD discs aren't region locked (with a handful of exceptions).

And if you don't have one, it might actually be cheaper to get a standard UHD player and a separate region-free blu-ray player.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
FWIW, I have an LG 4K non-region-free player for my UHDs. I have a separate LG BD region-free player that I use for Region B BDs. It's a pain to change the region on it, so I just keep it set to Region B, and use the 4K player to play Region A discs. I don't have any Region C BDs, so I don't have to worry about those.

My region-free BD player will also play DVDs from any region without needing to switch regions, so I also use that for my non-Region 1 DVDs.
I bought a AVS recommended simple LG Blu-ray player from Amazon UK, as a backup to my Seiki, just before the pandemic & before postal charges skyrocketed. Let me know if you need info!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I've found it much simpler to have two Blu-ray players and never need to switch regions. Obviously you have pay twice to begin but after that it's plain sailing.
So you can set it for a specific region, then forget about it and it will always play that region’s discs?
Most of my foreign discs will come from England.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So you can set it for a specific region, then forget about it and it will always play that region’s discs?

That's the way it works for me. When my region-free player is set to Region B, it'll stay set to B unless I use the remote to change it to "A" or "C".

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

That's the way it works for me. When my region-free player is set to Region B, it'll stay set to B unless I use the remote to change it to "A" or "C".

That's the virtually all should work. I'm still with the separate Region Free BD player crowd. Use the 4K player for 4K discs and maybe Reg A BD if you want, then keep the Multiregion set as B always. Region C locked discs are virtually unheard of on most forums so that's not even a consideration most for most people.

If you have a Panasonic UHD you probably could play most Reg B disc anyway with the Panasonic Tope Menu remote
trick

JayDomK

Auditioning
Real Name
Jayden
That's the virtually all should work. I'm still with the separate Region Free BD player crowd. Use the 4K player for 4K discs and maybe Reg A BD if you want, then keep the Multiregion set as B always. Region C locked discs are virtually unheard of on most forums so that's not even a consideration most for most people.

If you have a Panasonic UHD you probably could play most Reg B disc anyway with the Panasonic Tope Menu remote
trick
If the region can be changed with the remote, what's the point of the region?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
If the region can be changed with the remote, what's the point of the region?
It’s either a mistake or a deliberate hack that someone at Panasonic left in. It also doesn’t work with every disc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It also doesn’t work with every disc.
Herein lies the rub. When it works it's great. When it doesn't? No watchee. This is why you're much better off with a dedicated region-free player IMO.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I’ve heard good things about 220 Electronics. I’m looking at a Sony X700, but it doesn’t have particularly good ratings at Amazon, although Crutchfield audio likes it.
I’d love to find one that isn’t hacked.
I have this Sony X700 player from 220 Electronics. I think the Amazon ratings are pretty good - 4-1/2 stars from 2,229 ratings. It is very simple to change the region. When the eject tray is open, you press one of those colored buttons (yellow, blue, red or green) to set the region. I cannot say a lot about how well it works for the long haul because I have only watched one Blu-ray with it. I have tested that it does indeed switch and play region B Blu-rays, plays DVDs of any region, and plays SACD mulitchannel discs as well as files like MP4 files.

Before getting this player, I had a Sony Blu-ray that I used for region A and an Oppo region-hacked player for other regions. As others have said, switching the regions on the Oppo was a bit of a pain, so I just kept in region B/all-region all the time. With the Sony X700 I only need the one player, so I moved the others to other rooms.

Attachments

• 1708440624924.png
    1708440624924.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 18

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I have the Panasonic UB820 also and the Sony 700x...both very good picture and sound. The Panasonic seems more solidly built and has more setting features....220 Electronics has them region-free

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I have the Panasonic UB820 also and the Sony 700x...both very good picture and sound. The Panasonic seems more solidly built and has more setting features....220 Electronics has them region-free
Gee , maybe I’ll look into the Panasonic.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have the Sony UBP-X800, modified for multi-region. For the most part it works fine, but there are intermittent issues with playback, where I will put in a disc and see nothing on the screen but a bunch of digital noise. I can fix the problem by removing the disc, shutting off the player, and then pressing the yellow or blue button for the region I want to use. It's annoying, but easily remedied. The other negative on this player is that it does not support Dolby Vision for UHD playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks