What's new

Can Anyone Recommend a Good Multi Region 4K Blu Ray Player? (1 Viewer)

FilmCrazy

Agent
Real Name
Rich
I am looking to purchase a 4K multi region blu Ray player. The Sony x700 or x800 seem good. Is LG ok? Can anyone highly recommend one?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you're set on an all in one I'd suggest the Sony 800II or Panasonic 420/820. I'm not a big fan of LG media players

My general suggestion is to get a separate region free BD player and standalone 4K. Cost of the 4K mod is often more than a decent modded BD Player ($120-160).

I think a lot depends on how heavy a user you are. If you do just a few locked discs then a used Region Free Unit can be fairly inexpensive or even a higher end upgrade model to something like a OPPO 103 with Mod for $300 with a bit of luck

Some also depends if you need 3D or Wi-Fi or want the streaming apps built in

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Expanding on David's post, keep in mind that 4K discs are not region coded. So a cheap region-free BR player and a separate 4K player makes a lot of sense.

That's what I have. My default player is an LG (sorry, David) UHD player, accompanied by another LG, multi-region BD player that stays set for Region B/2. The only problem I have with this set-up is that both players respond to the same remote, so when I use one of the players, I have to put something in front of the other to block the sensor.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Obviously Oppo is no more but Bombay Electronics still does region free moded players IIRC.

baggsey

Auditioning
The only problem I have with this set-up is that both players respond to the same remote, so when I use one of the players, I have to put something in front of the other to block the sensor.
Presumably your existing players and TV support control by HDMI-CEC? Have you tried programming a universal remote to emulate your TV remote and then control your existing UHD and region 2 players over the HDMI cables rather than infrared control?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks