Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
The Blu-ray set is one of my most cherished collections. Looks incredible and the show still stands up today. I honestly never thought I'd have the chance to own this in HD, and now that I do? Worth every penny I paid to Fabulous Films.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Universal not releasing their sets to fans in North America is just wrong. If Universal hasn't released Magnum, A-Team, Hulk, etc, by now, chances are, they never will. That's the sad truth of it all.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Doesn't matter who is releasing it. Fabulous only has distribution rights. Universal would still have access to those Blu-ray masters, which I'm sure they made that option as part of the distribution agreement. Same type of agreement that Universal has with many of its distribution partners. But, I still stand by what I said, that it's highly unlikely the Blu-ray editions of these shows will be released in North America. many studios have simply veered away from releasing their movies and TV shows on Blu-ray, insofar as it concerns their catalog titles. Why do you think other classics such as Buck Rogers, Sliders, seaQuest and many others have yet to be released in the U.S.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Why do you think other classics such as Buck Rogers, Sliders, seaQuest and many others have yet to be released in the U.S.

Somebody running a movie company overseas has more dollars than sense, and Universal is willing to take their cash without lifting a finger?

;)

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
IN the same sense, I'm sure Universal could use those same masters to release Magnum in North America as a Blu-ray release. I don't think I ever said that Universal released Magnum in the U.K., only that Universal hasn't, as of yet, released the series in the United States. The fact that iTunes has the series in HD should be proof that Universal does, indeed, have the Magnum series in high definition but that they aren't releasing it for some strange reason.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
FYI: Not a blu-ray, but the price is right: iTunes is selling the complete Magnum PI, all eight seasons, and in HD...for $35 total.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/magnum-p-i-the-complete-series/id1401006790
I would get this but don't you need Apple TV to stream Itunes content to your TV? Not sure I would be interested in just watching on my computer or Ipad. I know there are workarounds you can find on the internet but I like simple. I wish Movies Anywhere would add TV series as well as make a deal with Paramount, Lionsgate, and any other studio that don't have deals with them.

Last edited:

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I would get this but don't you need Apple TV to stream Itunes content to your TV? Not sure I would be interested in just watching on my computer or Ipad. I know there are workarounds you can find on the internet but I like simple. I wish Movies Anywhere would add TV series as well as make a deal with Paramount, Lionsgate, and any other studio that don't have deals with them.

Just buy and HDMI cable and connect your computer to your TV. Or buy a second hand older gen Apple TV, they're very cheap now.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
When you buy a movie from Itunes do you have to download it or can it just be streamed. 8 seasons of a TV show in HD would take a lot of hard drive space. Sorry if this sounds naive but it's the first time I am thinking of buying a TV series from Itunes.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
When you buy a movie from Itunes do you have to download it or can it just be streamed. 8 seasons of a TV show in HD would take a lot of hard drive space. Sorry if this sounds naive but it's the first time I am thinking of buying a TV series from Itunes.
You can do either. All content can be streamed. However the only content that CANNOT be downloaded is 4K.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I tried buying this yesterday from Itunes but kept getting a message that there was a temporary problem and to try later. Today the complete series HD is $69.99. Too bad.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
That error was forced by Apple after realizing that they made a mistake on the price. For $69.99, there better be a physical Blu-ray being sent in the mail. That's about what I paid for that alligator case set of Miami Vice that I bought many years ago. Increasing the price just cost Apple a lot of sales.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
At about 15 or so weeks to go, you never know what will happen between now and year's end.
I just wish I were a Mill Creek/ Universal/Kino/ Shout insider hinting at some undisclosed deal being finalized as we spk... (sorry, I'm not)...

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
They can suck it at $69.99. I was gonna buy a gift card specifically for this, and now Apple has saved me $35. And why is the show listed under Comedy? :blink:

Tell me about it. This is Apple's M.O., sticking it to their customers. Apple didn't realize it until they stopped making MP3 players but that their line of iPod's actually helped their profit margins. Now that they don't make MP3 players anymore, their profits are kind of in the toilet since they also discovered that iPhone customers are no longer rushing out to purchase the latest model.

But, expecting anyone to pay $69.99 for a digital complete series set? It's laughable. If Apple were selling the physical Blu-ray complete series sets of Magnum P.I., I'd definitely buy the set. Apple seems to think that everyone is willing to pay premium prices for their content when they're not willing to. I have to say that I was hard pressed and tempted to purchase the series when it was $39.99 but adding another $30 to the set definitely caused me to run far away from Apple.

Let's not also forget that Apple's content all have DRM, which is a definite "NO-NO".

ricethief

Auditioning
Real Name
A
For anyone looking for the HD complete set, Apple ITunes has it for $29.99 right now. Not sure if that price is only available in the US.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Fabulous Films put out Magnum complete season Blurays--but I noticed that a company called Elephant Films put out single season Bluray sets in France. Because these are separate seasons they are less expensive. Does anyone know if they look as good as the Fabulous Films set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks