What's new

Terminator 2 Questions (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Matt, that's what I was saying. The arm in T2 wouldn't make any bigger difference than the arm in T1. The importatn thing is there's no chip this time.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Not the arm from T1 (destroyed along with the original chip from T1). The original poster was talking about Arnold's arm getting ripped off in the big gear (in T2). They leave it behind and don't destroy it.
Sorry I meant to clarify, they went back for Arnold's arm in the book and threw it in as well.

Cameron is still great in my book, because is the age difference is the only hole you guys can find I will think his plot is good. I could find more holes in almost any other film.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
SARAH
We can change it, Kyle. We have to try. There's no fate but what we make for ourselves. Right? Come on. Let's go, kiddo. Whaddya say?
So this is how Sarah remembers what Kyle told her, and this is what she teaches young John, who in turn will put it back into his own words when he makes Kyle memorize it.

I'm not sure that made it to the actual movie, as I don't have the DVD, but it's in the copy of the screenplay that I have. The deleted scene with the big reveal that the factory where the terminator is smashed belongs to Cyberdyne is also in the screenplay. (But it has Arnold saying "I'll come back" instead of "I'll be back". Could it still have become a catchphrase for him if Arnold said "I'll come back"?)

Along with the "Come with me if you want to live" line in T2 being a reuse of the line in T1, in T2 Sarah talks about how the terminator would never stop protecting John, which I think parallels what Reese said in T1 about how the terminator would never stop hunting her until she was dead. There's another one, when Sarah first talks about blowing up Cyberdyne and Reese says "That's not my mission", it reminds me of when Arnold says the same thing to John when he wants to rescue his mother from the mental institute.

But, in the screenplay, Reese never tells Sarah the exact date of Judgment Day: August 29, 1997, so how did she know? Maybe, knowing that it will happen, she had to make up a date so it would be more real to her? (I think having an exact date works better for the audience too.) Since in T2 we see just how convinced she is that this is the exact date when it happens, maybe there was just a little bit of genuine mental illness in her character? But, in T2, when Arnold is giving the timeline, he confirms that date. So how did she know? I suppose we're just going to have to assume that we don't see absolutely everything that happens in T1, and at some point when we weren't looking, Reese told her.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've always thought Kyle's message of "No fate" kind of conflicts with the idea of needing to keep Sarah alive to give birth to John. Because isn't keeping her alive to fulfill a purpose fate?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Finished the Cameron commentary on the EE. I don't often watch commentaries, but the lack of a soundtrack allows me to better focus on the visuals. What a beautiful looking film, and what an amazing ride the film is ;) Great commentary for a truly great film.

Take care,
Chuck

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Chuck, I rather enjoyed Cameron's commentary as well. Did you notice how many times Cameron interrupted Bill Wisher? Most times Wisher would go back to what he was talking about, but there were a few times where he didn't finish what he started talking about. The curiosity of what Wisher was going to say was killing me!

Also, I found it kind of humorous when Cameron said something along the lines of "Isn't that much better than 'she'll be back'? (in reference to the line spoken by Arnie in the T3 trailer) Think Cameron is a little bitter? :)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
For some reason my topic was deleted so I'll just post my Terminator question here. Someone already mentioned this but I want a straight out theory or answer. This is killing me, here goes:

Reese mentions that he was born after the war. That already makes John Connor older than him. John in turn sends him back to protect Sarah and this ultimately results in the conceiving of John. But how was John born in the first place? Did he have another father and Reese simply replaced him?

This seriously gives me a headache every time I think about it. If anybody could give me their theory or a Cameron response (from an interview or something) that would be REALLY appreciated.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
Travis, that's the basic time loop paradox -- when there's a time loop like that, what initiated it? For time travel as we typically see it in the movies, the answer is that it's always been that way and always will be that way... the future begets the past begets the future.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It's a good thing the machines don't know that Kyle Reese is John's father, otherwise they would have had plenty of opportunity to kill Reese before he can go back to 1984 to do the Hibbity-Dibbity with Sarah.

>>>The only thing I noticed as a discrepancy when watching both films back to back yesterday is that in the first movie, Kyle never says the whole "the future's not set" line the way they say it in T2. If I remember correctly, he never goes into the "there's no fate but what we make" bit.

However, Kyle DOES say the complete line in the DELETED SCENES portion of the Terminator 1 DVD.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
It's a good thing the machines don't know that Kyle Reese is John's father, otherwise they would have had plenty of opportunity to kill Reese before he can go back to 1984 to do the Hibbity-Dibbity with Sarah.
That's what happens in Terminator 4!

And then in T5, Skynet sends a Terminator that looks like Harlan Ellison back in time to sue James Cameron for plagarism.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks