Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Inside Out 2 (Pixar)

Tagline: Big changes. New emotions.

Genre: Family, Drama, Adventure, Fantasy

Director: Kelsey Mann

Cast: Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, Lewis Black, Tony Hale, Liza Lapira, Maya Hawke, Diane Lane, Kyle MacLachlan, June Squibb, Ayo Edebri, Adèle Exarchopoulos, Paul Walter Hauser, Kensington Tallman, Lilimar, Sumayyah Nuriddin-Green, Grace Lu, Yvette Nicole Brown, Sarayu Blue, Flea, Ron Funches, Dave Goelz, James Austin Johnson, Bobby Moynihan, Frank Oz, Paula Pell, Paula Poundstone, John Ratzenberger, Kendall Coyne Schofield, Kirk Thatcher, and Yong Yea.

Release: 2024-06-13

Plot: Teenager Riley's mind headquarters is undergoing a sudden demolition to make room for something entirely unexpected: new Emotions! Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear and Disgust, who’ve long been running a successful operation by all accounts, aren’t sure how to feel when Anxiety shows up. And it looks like she’s not alone.
Inside Out 2 was just announced at D23 Expo. Summer 2024.

Inside Out 2.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The question is, will any of these new Pixar films see a theatrical release?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
will any of these new Pixar films see a theatrical release?
I don't see why not. I don't believe Disney is going to throw in the towel on one of their most reliable, highest-grossing brands just because Lightyear underperformed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Katie Mann is making his feature directorial debut here. She directed the Monsters University spinoff short Party Central. Meg LeFauve, who co-wrote the original film, is writing the screenplay. Oddly enough, this only says that Amy Poehler is returning as Joy without mentioning any other cast members. Even if they are going to bring in new emotions, it would seem that you kind of have to have the entire cast of emotions from the original film back.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The question is, will any of these new Pixar films see a theatrical release?

It is a sequel so I expect it will get a theatrical release. It is their original films that Disney is pushing onto Disney+.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Elemental from Pixar is new and is on the theatrical schedule for June 16, 2023.

They will probably have shorter windows than before the pandemic, but I expect Disney will go forward with theatrical releases at this point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Vulture is reporting a rumor that Bill Hader (Fear) and Mandy Kaling (Disgust) are not returning over a salary dispute.

If true, this seems extremely problematic to me. It's not like emotions can quit (the first film even has Mindy Kaling say this as Disgust.) They are literally in Riley's head, so I don't see any explanation as to how they could not be there. Even if there are new, more complex emotions introduced as Riley gets older, the original ones would still be there. Furthermore, Kaling and Hader's voices are really distinctive. Replacing them with soundalikes would not be a good idea.

I think Disney needs to pay all five of the original actors.

The first film was widely loved by audiences and critics and made a whole lot of money. Inside Out 2 is as close to a guaranteed success as Pixar can get right now. If they bring everybody back and the movie is good, there will be plenty of money to go around. But without the core cast, the success becomes much more questionable.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Vulture is reporting a rumor that Bill Hader (Fear) and Mandy Kaling (Disgust) are not returning over a salary dispute.

If true, this seems extremely problematic to me. It's not like emotions can quit (the first film even has Mandy Kaling say this as Disgust.) They are literally in Riley's head, so I don't see any explanation as to how they could not be there. Even if there are new, more complex emotions introduced as Riley gets older, the original ones would still be there. Furthermore, Kaling and Hader's voices are really distinctive. Replacing them with soundalikes would not be a good idea.

I think Disney needs to pay all five of the original actors.

The first film was widely loved by audiences and critics and made a whole lot of money. Inside Out 2 is as close to a guaranteed success as Pixar can get right now. If they bring everybody back and the movie is good, there will be plenty of money to go around. But without the core cast, the success becomes much more questionable.
Hopefully, something can be worked out with the actors. And since it's animation, that means that there's more time to do that since they could record and add their voices at the 11th hour.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Disney has plenty of money for God awful live action remakes of animated films, but not enough to retain the voice actors for successful animated films. Par for the course for them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hopefully, something can be worked out with the actors. And since it's animation, that means that there's more time to do that since they could record and add their voices at the 11th hour.
I don’t think that’s how animation works. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought they were moving away from sequels.
I don't think they ever said they weren't going to do sequels ever again. They said they had original films in the pipeline after Toy Story 4, and that was true.

June 2019: Toy Story 4 (sequel)
March 2020: Onward (original)
December 2020: Soul (original)
June 2021: Luca (original)
March 2022: Turning Red (original)
June 2022: Lightyear (a spinoff, but clearly a very different idea than Toy Story)
June 2023: Elemental (original)
March 2024: Elio (original)
June 2024: Inside Out 2 (sequel)

That's six original films (plus one spinoff) between sequels. So I think they were being honest.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If true, this seems extremely problematic to me. It's not like emotions can quit (the first film even has Mandy Kaling say this as Disgust.) They are literally in Riley's head, so I don't see any explanation as to how they could not be there. Even if there are new, more complex emotions introduced as Riley gets older, the original ones would still be there.
This being animation, though, it's easier to recast than live action characters would be. They can just said that fear and disgust have evolved as teenage Riley's emotions have gotten more complex. Perhaps Fear has evolved into Anxiety while Disgust has evolved into Revulsion. Joy is a very pure, childlike emotion, so it makes sense that it would still be pretty much the same.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Perhaps Fear has evolved into Anxiety while Disgust has evolved into Revulsion.
That's a good point. I get what you're saying and I don't entirely disagree that they could go that way. But it still just feels wrong to me. The ending of the first film demonstrated all of the emotions coming together to work as a team by the end, so I think it will be incongruous if two members of that team are suddenly not there or there in different forms solely to justify paying replacement actors less.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
For me, Inside Out is one of the best films Pixar has done since Toy Story 3 in 2010, so it's a nice surprise to hear there is a sequel.

That said, unless the voice actors are demanding exorbitant amounts, I would prefer they keep the same cast. It may be easier to use a substitute voice actor for an animated film, but doing so because they don't want to pay sounds petty.

If that Vulture article is correct, then paying Kaling and Hader only 2% of Poehler's fee (and without bonuses!) seems inequitable. I understand Poehler is the lead, but the other emotions (especially Sadness) had important roles as well.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If that Vulture article is correct, then paying Kaling and Hader only 2% of Poehler's fee (and without bonuses!) seems inequitable. I understand Poehler is the lead, but the other emotions (especially Sadness) had important roles as well.
Bill Hader has become something of a regular for Pixar. He was also the voice of Stan in Finding Dory (a fish that Dory asks for help); Axel in Toy Story 4 (the carnival worker who puts Buzz on the prize wall); and Featheringhamstan (the rookie that Buzz disregards) in Lightyear. Now, obviously, those are cameo roles, so it makes sense that he wouldn't be paid as much for them as he should get for playing Fear, which is a much bigger role. But it is still surprising that the bean counters at Disney seem willing to screw over somebody who has been consistently involved in multiple Pixar projects.

I would also find it interesting to know what they are offering Phyllis Smith and Lewis Black because they have not been mentioned at all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would also find it interesting to know what they are offering Phyllis Smith and Lewis Black because they have not been mentioned at all.
I just assume they're taking the deal given (whatever they think of it) because they aren't big enough stars to have any leverage. While Hader and Kaling have bigger profiles, the studio can get a lot of other people to sound sad or angry.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.