What's new

Inside Out 2 (Pixar) (2024) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, that looks like an Inside Out movie.

So it looks like Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear and Disgust are all back. Despite earlier suggestions that Bill Hader and Mandy Kailing were not returning over a salary dispute..

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This article at EW seems to indicate Liza Lapira has replaced Mindy Kaling and Tony Hale replaces Bill Hader.
That's sad. I wish they had been able to get everyone back. But I will admit I didn't immediately notice a difference when I first saw the trailer.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
June Squibb is voicing an undisclosed role. She previously played the owner of the antique store in Toy Story 4 and the 106-year-old soul on the way to the Great Beyond who Joe meets in Soul.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The whole concept of this film, as presented thus far in the marketing materials, is that Riley is dealing with new emotions when going through puberty. This makes sense.

But in the original Inside Out, we don't just see inside Riley's head. We also see inside her mom and dad during that dinner table sequence, and several other characters at the end of the film. The "Riley's First Date?" short on the Blu-ray spends a lot of time with her dad and her mom in their heads.

Her parents already went through puberty and, based on the new film's premise, should have more than just the five emotions Riley started out with in the first movie. But we only ever see the same five emotions represented when the first movie lets us look into their heads.

Now, the obvious reason for this is because Anxiety and the other new emotions in this movie were developed and created when they started working on this movie. So they didn't know to put an Anxiety character in Riley's parents' heads back when the first movie was being made.

I wonder if this is going to be a "Shut up and don't think about it" thing or if they will attempt to come up with a story reason we didn't see the other emotions in the first film for the other characters.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

431622902_998199311664912_1757029153320939163_n.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Per IMDb, the new cast members unveiled in this trailer are Ayo Edebri as Envy, Adèle Exarchopoulos as Ennui and Paul Walter Hauser as Embarrassment. I've updated the cast list in the first post to reflect their involvement.

Kaitlyn Dias voiced Riley in the first Inside Out, when the character was 11 years old. It was released nine years ago and she probably recorded it ten years ago. Since this film takes place when Riley is 13, but I suspect they've probably recast her. They also recast Nemo in Finding Dory and Dash in Incredibles 2 because the original young actors aged out of the roles in the interim. I'm not aware of any announcement yet regarding who is voicing Riley in this film.

It is also interesting to note the change in aspect ratio for the sequel. I just recently rewatched the first film and it is 1.78:1. This one is in the wider scope ratio.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It should have been nominated for best picture.
I agree completely. But I think Inside Out has aged extremely well and has been more widely remembered in the public consciousness than the Best Picture winner that year. I had to look it up to be reminded that it was Spotlight. I remember thinking Spotlight was good. But with respect to the work done in that film, I don't remember the last time I thought about it before looking it up today. Inside Out has had much more long-term cultural impact.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Kensington Tallman is the new voice of Riley. A bunch of other new voice actors have also been confirmed, including John Ratzenberger in an undisclosed role. This is Ratzenberger's first Pixar film since Onward in 2020. I've updated the cast list in the first post accordingly.

Also, Andrea Datzman is listed as scoring the film. I was surprised Michael Giacchino Is not doing it. think Inside Out is the best score of Giacchino's entire career to date, so it is disappointing he won't be involved. I don't mean this as any judgment on Datzman's ability to do a good job -- just as a mark of how much I love Giacchino's first score. It is perfect, or very nearly so, when inside the film. But I listen to that album on a regular basis even when I haven't recently watched the film. It is one of my all-time go-to instrumental albums.

Datzman is listed as the "score coordinator" on the first film and several others Giacchino worked on, so she appears to have a longstanding working relationship with him. Hiring iring Datzman keeps it in the family. My response isn't about her personally.

I wonder whether Giacchino is too busy to return or whether Disney just didn't want to pay him. I'm sure Datzman will cost less. Disney has already been too cheap to pay Bill Hader and Mindy Kaling to return as Fear and Disgust, respectively. Replacing the composer would be less noticeable than those changes.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Was that Ratzenberger as the construction worker at the very end of the trailer?
It certainly sounds like him. He also played a construction worker in the first movie. He came to install the new updated console at the end of the film when Riley's personality expanded. I wonder if it is the same character? I'll have to check the look the next time I watch the first one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
IMAX uploaded the trailer for Inside Out 2 to their YouTube channel a couple of hours ago. It is the same trailer Disney put up last week, so I'm not going to bother embedding it here again. But this is significant because it is the first confirmation I've heard that Inside Out 2 will play on IMAX screens.

Jurassic World occupied the IMAX screens during the run of the first Inside Out back in 2015. The Flash had the IMAX screens last year during the run of Elemental. So Inside Out 2 will be the first Pixar film with access to IMAX screens since Lightyear in 2022.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I noticed an Easter egg in the trailer.

I'm putting this in spoiler tags for anyone who doesn't want to know, but it is in the most recent trailer if you've seen it. It is not a plot twist. I don't want to know those and wouldn't post them if I did.

Screen Shot 2024-03-13 at 11.32.55 PM.png

You have to look really close, but it sure looks to me like the blue-ish poster to the right of Riley's bed is a 4*Town poster.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
News broke this morning in the trades that Bill Hader is voicing The Cat in the Hat in a new animated film for WB. Apparently they are still willing to pay Hader what he feels he is worth for a major role.

I think the Inside Out 2 trailer looks fun and I'm hopeful that it will be good. I don't have a personal problem of any kind with Tony Hale, who is replacing Bill Hader as Fear. He is also a good actor and has already worked with Pixar as the voice of Forky.

But I still think it it a major bummer that the original five emotions aren't all coming back for this because Disney was too cheap to pay them all. I'd be curious to know what Hader's salary is for The Cat in the Hat as compared to his offer for this movie. (Of course, he'll be the title character in The Cat in the Hat, so it's not exactly the same thing. But still.)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
News broke this morning in the trades that Bill Hader is voicing The Cat in the Hat in a new animated film for WB. Apparently they are still willing to pay Hader what he feels he is worth for a major role.

I think the Inside Out 2 trailer looks fun and I'm hopeful that it will be good. I don't have a personal problem of any kind with Tony Hale, who is replacing Bill Hader as Fear. He is also a good actor and has already worked with Pixar as the voice of Forky.

But I still think it it a major bummer that the original five emotions aren't all coming back for this because Disney was too cheap to pay them all. I'd be curious to know what Hader's salary is for The Cat in the Hat as compared to his offer for this movie. (Of course, he'll be the title character in The Cat in the Hat, so it's not exactly the same thing. But still.)
While I definitely want Bill Hader (and Kaling) to return, I see both sides of it. I can understand Hader wanting a reasonable raise for the sequel and I can understand how Pixar doesn't want to pay him more because losing him won't have any effect on the movie's grosses.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Being paid what you think you're worth and being paid based on the value you bring to a project/work are different. If one employer thinks the ROI is not worth it, it is in their purview not to pay it. If another employer thinks the ROI IS worth it, then good on them.

This is no different than any job. If a new employer is willing to pay me $100,000 a year and a "competitor" is willing to pay $400,000, it's not necessarily anyone being cheap. There are things like a budget to work through. As good as Hader is, he's not the main character of the movie and I doubt most people will notice he's missing.

Now, if Frozen III comes out and Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel aren't back, that would be noticed immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.